First-time owner seeks advice

hoswan18

My wife and I are close to purchasing our first Toyota motorhome.  The vehicle in question (1989 Dolphin) looks great overall and the current owner clearly has invested time, materials, and energy in making upgrades.  The ad on craigslist shows part of a reconstruction process to address past water damage. It looks like mainly to the overcab area and the exterior portion of the rear wall.  The owner also freely states that he replaced the right side and rear framing with treated oak instead of fir as well as moisture resistant wood in the overcab area.

On one hand, I appreciate seeing the prior damage but it makes me wonder what else can't be seen.  Is it common for most non-sunraders to have some leakage, even if it never makes it into the cab or coach?  This vehicle is in the central valley of CA, not a particularly rainy place. I've attached a picture of the rear exterior wall during reconstruction.  Is this normal?  Should I be happy the current owner is so upfront and transparent or walk away and hold out for a sunrader?

Thanks in advance for your insight.  I can link to the whole post if that will help folks help me assess...

dolphin.jpg

Thanks, Linda.  Here are a few more photos of the rebuild in process and the current status.  The first ad. I saw didn't show the rebuilding pictures, but when I saw them in a different post it gave me pause.  The owner has been very upfront and honest about the vehicle.  He's done lots of work on the interior (replaced underlayment with marine grade plywood and then put vinyl flooring down) and three coats of sealant on the roof.  Clearly, there have been leaks in the past (as he's freely acknowledged).  To what extent is this common with all the models other than the Sunraders? Also, is it inappropriate to link to the craigslist ad so you good people can read all the details?  Much appreciated!

Thanks!

passenger side.jpg

rear interior.jpg

rebuilt rear.jpg

overcab rebuild.jpg

Rebuilt front.jpg

overcab rebuild II.jpg

Thanks!  Here's the CL posting:  https://hanford.craigslist.org/rvs/d/hanford-1989-toyota-odyssey-mesa-lounge/6804113080.html

I get the sense the owner is a very honest, straight-shooting individual.  The ad on Toyota RV didn't have the rebuild pictures so when I saw them on CL I was a bit surprised.  

Also, I gather there were a few years (late 80's, early 90's) when there was a head gasket recall on some engines?  What can the community share about this?

Thanks in advance for anyone's feedback!

Edited by hoswan18

Check or ask about the leaf spring bushings, water leaks in plumbing, propane valve leaking unless all way open or all way closed, heater and water heater working, coach battery age and status, valve cover gasket leaks. Sit in the drivers seat to see if enough leg room or recline angle.

You could put a used onan 2.8 in the back left compartment if you could find one, very convenient if have a built in generator if boondocking.  We spent $800 to fix ours, v reg, New carb, etc., Glad we have it.

Ask about coach and cab a/c

I would be leery of anything that had that much water damage.

At a minimum, I would insist on weighing the finished product.  IF the rebuilder was not careful, he could make that thing really heavy.

That rv was probably close to gross weight to begin with,  per the data plate, my 93 warrior weighs in at about 5,300 - grow 6,000.

Given how flimsy these things look like I can see how any builder would be tempted to beef it up - like using different wood...............................................

1 hour ago, linda s said:

The weight is too much strain on the shock mounts.

Easily solved by reducing air pressure, if that's even a real world problem. Installing new stiff shocks (Bilsteins?) will also add extra load on shock mounts.

However, the actual extra load on the shock mounts could be debated.

" they can be inflated or deflated as needed...from 20 psi to 150 psi with the vehicle loaded."

" A pair can maintain ride height when up to 1,100 lbs. of additional weight is loaded "

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/products/Max-Air/shock-Absorbers

I know it's next to impossible to easily find air at pressures over ~75psi near me. All the gas stations here have converted to those machines you have to pump money into. They struggle to reach 60psi. 1/2 the pressure = 1/2 the 'lift', so ~550lb. That won't actually raise the back of a MH by much.

Your money is far better spend on a good set of springs and air springs. Let the springs do their job (holding up the load) and the shocks do their job (controlling the load). :)

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, You should look and ask questions about the floor. That water damage looks like it went all the way. The spring bushings (3 each side), bolts etc would be number one on the list if you don't choose to put in new springs. New springs though as Linda suggests is the best route. I put air bags and air shocks on our last Toy with a pump and remote gauge and switch in the cab for the bags. Usually ran them both at about 80lbs. If the bushings are 3 piece then they are not going to just pop out. It is possible to replace the bushings without pulling the springs. I gut the bushing so that just the outer shell is still in the spring (it's fun!). Then carefully with a hand operated hacksaw cut almost through the bushing shell on two sides then drive a small punch between the spring and shell. New ones can be pressed back in with a just smaller socket, a good clamp and some grease. The shackles are probably shot also. A great modification is to weld a square tube between the shackles, this keeps them from leaning side to side in turns etc. You can buy pre made. If you do it all yourself it is not a job for the faint of heart. A concrete floor. two heavy duty jack stands and a big floor jack, it's not too bad. You just do one side at a time. I am waiting for someone to try this product " Roadmaster Active Suspension ". I installed a pair on my F150, like night and day. 

hey there, i totally agree with all the above advice and comments. in my non expert opinion, you stated several times the openness and honesty of the owner in relating the previous water damage and the photos seem to indicate the rebuild was properly done, with all that said there will be other issues to attend, as suspension, mechanical, etc., i say trust you gut, hope all goes well. joe from dover.