Smog Fuel EVAP fail

tone

hello toyota community.

has anyone failed Fuel EVAP test during smog test. that can share any tips on how to resolve the issue.

i passed all the other components of smog check. but only failed fuel EVAP test.

thank you in advance for any help provided.

Maineah, do you know the location of it. and how hard will it be to remove. and where would i be able to buy one?

1 hour ago, Maineah said:

One of the normal causes is either a loose filler cap or a defective/wrong one.

He's talking about your gas cap, go to your local auto parts and buy a new one.

i think its the EVAP canister that needs replacing. but i will also buy a new gas cap.

i have an evap canister from an 87 toyota pick up that i used to have. am sure it should fit my 84 dolphin. i need to pass this smog and get it to my name.

doing major tune up as well. what you guys using in oil? mine is 84 with 87k miles and do i need to be aware of anything while changing cap and rotor?

>new cap and rotor.

>new NGK spark plug with NGK platnium spark plugs.

>gas filter

>oil changed . new oil filter

>air filter

Most evap tests are not sniffer tests. They are a simple pressure test. ie your fuel system must hold a certain pressure for so long of a time period. A bad gas cap, a cracked hose, the canister cracked are the usual suspects.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:43 AM, WME said:

Most evap tests are not sniffer tests. They are a simple pressure test. ie your fuel system must hold a certain pressure for so long of a time period. A bad gas cap, a cracked hose, the canister cracked are the usual suspects.

WME do you know if a carburetor can also cause that to fail. ?

A bad Carb can cause many failures, but EVAP is not normally one of them. Normally the engine is not even running