I worked at Toyota as a tech for 10 years, and never once worked on a column shift lever. There's 2 things going on that I wonder if anyone here has encountered . 1) the "O/D off" light does not work at all. the trans shifts into O/D but the switch won't turn it on or off. I'm fine with the O/D on all the time. 2) the shifter "knob" is not tight on the stalk, like it can be twisted back and forth on the lever. I have no idea how it's attached, there's no screws or anything, just the bezel around the O/D on/off switch. unable to find many pics or exploded views of this shifter. I'm imagining that the thing got twisted over the years and broke/shorted the wires to the switch and blew the light bulb. Any Ideas? Google search turns up many "O/D off" flashing topics, but zero about the light not working...

Edited by A Seabee

the OD OFF light never comes on. yes, the end of the shift lever that you grab to select a gear is loose. not falling off loose, just moves on the lever. I don't know what keeps it on. I'm looking for a parts breakdown or exploded view of the shift lever and OD switch.

The OD does work, when I get on the freeway, I can hear it shift into 4th. it kicks down when climbing or accelerating, I just don't have the option to turn it off when I want.

I will post some pics

Edited by A Seabee

A couple of things are you sure the "shift" is not the lockup converter? I also think a 93 had a coolant temp sensor in the mix that would not allow the OD to work until the engine was warm.

3 minutes ago, Maineah said:

A couple of things are you sure the "shift" is not the lockup converter? I also think a 93 had a coolant temp sensor in the mix that would not allow the OD to work until the engine was warm.

Not really sure to be honest, have not started diagnosing yet. did find a nice FSM online and looked at the overdrive circuit diagram. how would I know the difference between lock up and overdrive? Do you know an easy way to know if it is in fact the lock up I am feeling and not the overdrive? I tried jumping the diagnostic connector but still no OD light

So does the overdrive button stay in position? Out or in depending on OD on or off. That is a better indicator than a light anyway. I had another member insist that there were 5 gears because he felt a slight change when driving in the drive train. What he was feeling was the torque convertor locking and unlocking It's a very slight change. Gear shifting is way more noticeable. Here's a schematic for the column assembly. Shift lever was sold as 1 piece but is no longer made.

https://parts.villagetoyota.com/a/63011130__6708323/CONTROL-SHAFT--CROSSSHAFT/672450-3311.html#33503

Linda S

The overdrive button stays in/out, but nothing changes , the overdrive is always on as far as I can tell. It is a distinct shift into 4th, and the RPM change is noticeable.

6 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Shifting to O/D will drop the revs by ~30% (O/D = 0.70).

right, only problem is that I can't "shift" to overdrive. put it in drive and listen for the shifts. turning the button off makes no change. the only way I can get it out of overdrive is to mash the throttle some

Knob should not spin at all. My bet is the wire is broken. The knob spinning probably means the shifter is now junk. Here is one on ebay, at least the pic might help https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1990-1991-1992-93-94-95-Toyota-Pickup-Automatic-Column-Shifter-OD-Switch/153324682197?hash=item23b2dcfbd5:g:4E8AAOSwb15cK27N:sc:USPSFirstClass!97396!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

6 hours ago, Gulfstream Greg said:

Knob should not spin at all. My bet is the wire is broken. The knob spinning probably means the shifter is now junk. Here is one on ebay, at least the pic might help https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1990-1991-1992-93-94-95-Toyota-Pickup-Automatic-Column-Shifter-OD-Switch/153324682197?hash=item23b2dcfbd5:g:4E8AAOSwb15cK27N:sc:USPSFirstClass!97396!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

Thank you, I will probably buy that one. is the OD OFF light supposed to come on when you turn the key ON? would a broken wire at the switch make the light never come on?

Screenshot_2019-01-20 Document - 6overdriv pdf.png

Edited by A Seabee

The OD light is confusing when the light is on the OD is off. The OD button is monetary the ECM relay will not allow OD solenoid to open if the engine temp is too low. Check the engine 10 amp fuse if it's out the OD solenoid will not open and the OD will stay on. 

16 minutes ago, Maineah said:

The OD light is confusing when the light is on the OD is off. The OD button is monetary the ECM relay will not allow OD solenoid to open if the engine temp is too low. Check the engine 10 amp fuse if it's out the OD solenoid will not open and the OD will stay on. 

I will check that fuse, but the engine fuse must run more than just the OD. In any case, I don't think the OD OFF light is confusing, it just doesn't work. the button is not momentary...it has an on (in) and off (out) position. I have overdrive. the light and the control of turning overdrive OFF is what I don't have.

So, grounding terminals 3 or 4 energizes the relay coil and opens the relay switch, and turns off the overdrive, right? then if that's the case, wouldn't an open circuit at 2 (blown engine fuse) cause the OD NOT to work?

I'm just saying, it looks to me like the schematic shows a normally closed relay contact (1&2) makes a complete circuit to run the solenoid. anything that opens that circuit, fuse, or grounding relay terms 3 or 4, would make the OD turn off.

I'm thinking if I ground 3 on the relay, I will get my light back and be able to shut it off again. gonna go try that. Thank you all for the input. If that works, I will buy the shifter that's up on Ebay.

a word on the OD button:  the only way to get feedback is if turning off the switch when the vehicle is actually in OD and observing a resultant downshift.  Assuming the OD light comes on when the ignition key is turned on and the idiot lights come on prior to engine start(including the OD annunciatior) ,  then I would guess the OD is armed and your OD switch on the shifter is screwed up. 

14 minutes ago, DanAatTheCape said:

a word on the OD button:  the only way to get feedback is if turning off the switch when the vehicle is actually in OD and observing a resultant downshift.  Assuming the OD light comes on when the ignition key is turned on and the idiot lights come on prior to engine start(including the OD annunciatior) ,  then I would guess the OD is armed and your OD switch on the shifter is screwed up. 

well, the OD OFF light never comes on, even with the initial key on check. the diagram I posted is for a 4 cylinder A43D, not a A340E, which i think is the trans for the 3VZE. I took the plastic off and found a two wire connector coming directly from the shift lever. could not find the relay.

Edited by A Seabee

The bottom line the OD light has to be on or the system will not work properly. I don't believe the temp sensor was used on any of the 22RE's. If the OD solenoid is energised OD will not work hence the light tells you the OD is off. All it does is dump pressure to the OD clutch pack.

my r22e had OD stop coming through Big Springs Texas last fall. Stopped working all the way to Tuscon AZ which was ok cause it was lots of hard climbing for the wee beast. I read the shop manual and tried to figure it out and saw something about a sensor needing the right temperate. I checked my rad and it was low so I add a quart of water and when I ran up to Phoenix it worked fine.

The light was on indicating the OD was off but it was not in OD despite that. Good luck. BTW it only works in OD while yep you heard it here 'going down hill, with good tailwind, or in my case if I can sneak in behind a slow moving tractor trailor and piggyback despite the buffeting.'

I drove it from Phoenix to San Diego and back this xmas and it worked fine but with above caveats for OD

The 6 cylinder trans is not the same as the 4 cylinder they are not interchangable the big difference is a lockup converter how ever the OD function is very simular in it's opperation and design so it is possable that a 4 cyl. "fix" may help a 6 cyl. owner. Lot of things I don't remember as both my self and the transmissions are pretty old for instance I don't remember if the 6 had a barometric sensor or if the 4 had a coolent sensor but they all played a part in the OD opperation. So far the biggest part of equation the OP has is no light. It kind of leads to no power to the system there has to be voltage to turn off the OD.

Without the light it still could work properly but the OP was pretty certain it was opperating in OD alone. The light has a pretty low duty cycle chances are pretty high it's working if powered. Tons of veriables the stop light switch for instance is for the lockup converter.

sorry all for the late reply, am out of town on work and coach is at home. Yes, it is a six cylinder, no, I have not accessed the bulb to see if it's good. I am positive that the overdrive is working...on the freeway at 55-60 mph, there's a distinct shift and RPMs drop to 1900.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:45 PM, A Seabee said:

sorry all for the late reply, am out of town on work and coach is at home. Yes, it is a six cylinder, no, I have not accessed the bulb to see if it's good. I am positive that the overdrive is working...on the freeway at 55-60 mph, there's a distinct shift and RPMs drop to 1900.

2 thoughts - there is a situation where the engine rpm can drop and seem like a gear change. my warrior does not have a tach so I can not offer baseline data.

also, IF you plan to drive into the mountains (thinking colorado) you DO want to be able to disengage the OD.  Going downhill, the use of OD off (ie 3rd gear) and the use of 2nd gear a, you e paramount.  Without them , you could have brake failure on long downgrades.  if you can't turn off the OD, 2nd gear would work but in some situations it will be frustrating.

29 minutes ago, DanAatTheCape said:

2 thoughts - there is a situation where the engine rpm can drop and seem like a gear change. my warrior does not have a tach so I can not offer baseline data.

also, IF you plan to drive into the mountains (thinking colorado) you DO want to be able to disengage the OD.  Going downhill, the use of OD off (ie 3rd gear) and the use of 2nd gear a, you e paramount.  Without them , you could have brake failure on long downgrades.  if you can't turn off the OD, 2nd gear would work but in some situations it will be frustrating.

That's exactly what I was thinking, downhill will not be something I'm not looking forward to. gonna fix it before I go into any real mountain travels. thanks for the input!

I'm pretty sure it is going into overdrive. the drop is about 350 rpm. I can also feel the lock up and see it on the tach, it is less of an rpm drop.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:25 PM, Derek up North said:

Have you checked to see if the O/D light bulb is good?

A340 Wiring 2.jpg

I never took the instrument cluster apart to check the bulb, but I tried to make it work through the wires from the shifter. there's only 2, and I applied ground to both. but... it looks like from this diagram that if the bulb is out, the OD main switch will not get power

22 hours ago, A Seabee said:

That's exactly what I was thinking, downhill will not be something I'm not looking forward to. gonna fix it before I go into any real mountain travels. thanks for the input!

I'm pretty sure it is going into overdrive. the drop is about 350 rpm. I can also feel the lock up and see it on the tach, it is less of an rpm drop.

If all else fails there is always the gear lever! Here is the problem in order to turn "off" the OD there has to be power to the OD solenoid otherwise it will shift into OD.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:33 AM, A Seabee said:

anyone here have a V6 with OD that works properly? Does the OD OFF light come on at key on before engine start up?

pretty sure it lights up upon key on,  along with many other lights.  Also if you put the jumper on to read the CEL codes, the OD light flashes too.

Edited by DanAatTheCape

The OD off light never comes on. key on/button/jumped DLC. never. Am I reading the wiring diagram right? It looks to me like if the bulb were open, the OD switch would not get power...

Nope it can be dead and still work. There is a lot of variables controlled by the ECM in the later vers. The highest suspect part in the scenario would be the 7.5 amp ign. fuse it however would affect the main relay. Has anyone tried to extract a code from the data connection?

2061467752_Screenshot_2019-01-3093Spiritcolumnshifterwonderings.png.220cc711a1006c1e57efbfb31a25ae10.png

I tried to get codes from jumping the DLC, CEL blinks no codes, OD Off does not come on at all. Isn't the OD master switch an input to the ECM? how does the voltage get to the switch if the bulb is between the fuse and the switch? I can't imagine they would push power to the switch through the computer and have power coming from the ignition switch and fuse too. I do not have the factory wiring diagram, only the page that was posted here, and going by that, I can't see how the switch could work if the bulb was open.

if you look at the pattern select switch in the diagram, if it were open, you'd lose your ground to the switch. no light, no ECT Power function, right?

on the OD2 main switch, when you close the switch, you'd be grounding a circuit with no power leg if the bulb was open, no? and if the power came from both sides, how could grounding the wire before the bulb (OD2 side) make the light work under any circumstances? it would be a short to ground.

Edited by A Seabee

If the knob is just spinning around then the wires are probably twisted together and possibly shorted. Maybe I missed this in all the posts but has the column covers been pulled off, finding the wire and plug connector then testing the switch with a multimeter? There could be all at the same time, a shorted or broken switch wire, bad switch, a bad solenoid, and a burnt out bulb or combination of all those. The the switch, wiring and bulb need to be eliminated from the trouble shooting path. Check the connector at the solenoid.