Looking at an 82' Sunrader

Kiernan

Hello all, first post here! I've been considering a camper of some sort for a few months now, and for a month or two have been watching the market for the perfect Toyota based camper after deciding they're without question the coolest little rigs ever built. So far I've been to see two Winnebago Micro Warriors (a 91 and a 93), an 80 Sunrader, and an 80 Mobile Traveler. They're all fantastic, but I've decided the Sunrader is my favorite, so I'm on the prowl. The 80 one I found got sold right after I went to look at it, and I've currently got my eyes on an 82 Sunrader for a delicious $1000. He says it runs and drives, camper systems work, but needs some TLC. Looks like its got some rust on some front body panels, but nothing terrible. Most importantly, he says it doesn't have any leaks. It definitely has the stock rear axle from what I've been told, which is a shame but I can upgrade. 

As stands, is this a good deal? Given how rare these things are I'm not sure I can manage to say no. Going to see it early next week, but its nearly 8 hours away so it'll take a solid trip. Should have some more pictures to include in the next day or two, waiting on those. 

IMG_2330.PNG

It is a good price if its really what you say it is. Old Sunraders may not fall apart and leak everywhere, but they will develop leaks at any opening cut into the shell. Vents, windows and doors. They also have a terrible floor design.

If you have SKILLS then the problems can be overcome, if your skilless then its $$$$ to repair things. The major appliances are the refer and water heater, they are $$$$ the other things are just $.  

The truck is just a basic truck and John Muir's "How to keep your Toyota PU alive" will get you through whatever needs doing.

Edited by WME

Honestly, that thing looks to be in pretty rough condition.  I see LOTS of rust.  He says it runs and drives but I wouldn't count on it.  Maybe it starts and idles but when's the last time it was on the road?  I'd be prepared for a FULL rebuild.  For a grand, it's a good project start.  I definitely would not plan on driving it 8 hours home if that's your plan.  

Also, yes it does look like a hood scoop.  Is it a faux scoop?  After market intake?  Engine swap that needed hood clearance?  

So it turns out I was mislead, I'd seen pictures of the exterior and talked to the owner on the phone, but his response of yes to "do all the interior appliances work?" lead me to believe the interior was close to stock -- turns out it'd been completed gutted, paneled in luan, and very poorly rebuilt inside. Definitely a no go. I shouldn't have gotten hopes up so fast haha

Sounds like typical craigslist, don't be discouraged!  I looked at MANY campers before I found the ones that I've owned.  Just watch craigslist like a hawk, anything REALLY nice that pops up for a decent price usually sells within a day or two of being posted.