1989 Dolphin V6 General Newbie Questions

lopezg273

Hello!

I acquired a 1989 Toyota Dolphin (900) and I've had some work done on it and I've done some work myself.  It looks to be in good shape overall, but I have some questions that may be just very basic for seasoned RV'ers but I really don't know the answer.  If anyone knows, please post some answers, thanks in advance.  

- Can I walk on its roof?  How many people can walk on the roof?

- There's what looks like a roof rack on it, but I don't think it is.  I don't think I'd want to put some luggage on it, exposed to the elements and overloading the thing.  Does anyone know what it's used for?

- l'm 190 lbs.  Ok, 200 lbs.  And the ladder to get on the roof seems flimsy, like there are just wood screws attached to plywood holding it (it's the original ladder).  Will it hold?

- I bought a deep-cycle battery from Home Depot that fills the space and no one can tell me exactly for how long I'm suppose to charge it (I've gotten answers that range from "24 hours" to "1 week") and I've also been told that I should charge it using a shore (AC) connection because the car's alternator won't charge it enough.  That sounds like bollocks, but does anyone know?

- Speaking of the battery, I found a 200W solar panel and charge controller on eBay for like $225 - can I hook this up to this thing or will it blow it up or not be enough? I only have the one single battery I bought for like $80 at Home Depot...

- No one seems to know how much pressure I'm suppose to have on the tires.  The RV shop said to put them at whatever the tires themselves show (they say "65 PSI Max" and that's what they said to do) and, I don't know, running a tire at its Maximum Pressure does not seem right to me because with friction the pressure is likely to increase.  Anyone know?

- It has a Dometic AC-LP fridge.  I can't find a way to shut it off, I can only see that I can run it on "LP" or "AC".  How do I shut it off when I'm just driving around or do I just leave it on "AC"?

- People always want to ride in it while on the bunk over the cab and I don't let them because I think it adds unnecessary weight to the front axle, does anyone know?

- I feel weird leaving all my stuff (laptop, money, other valuables) in it while I'm out and about.  Should I get a safe or something?

- It's a V6 (which I think had 150HP from the factory) and a 4-speed Auto transmission.  I measured 12.5MPG in mostly city driving.  My question is:  What's the best speed to drive on the freeway, a good compromise between speed v. efficiency?  I notice 4th gear (which I assume to be overdrive) does not seem to come on until like over 50 MPH...  Is this normal?

Thanks for any information!

IMG_0671.jpg

No dancing on the roof. If you need to go up there for any reason best to have some plywood to put down to distribute the weight. One person only. It looks in good shape but tiny leaks over the years might have caused damage to the roofing structure weakening it. make sure it's sealed and leave it alone.

Ladder No way to tell without looking at it. Those bolts can loosen up also from water damage and just wear and tear from weight. Some people bungy chairs and bikes to their ladders. You don't really know what happened to yours before you got it. Just be careful and aware of the possibility that it can't hold you. 

Battery will charge more fully on AC power unless your driving long distances every day. Buy one of these. Plug into 12 volt outlet and you'll know exactly how much it charged

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000EVWDU0&pd_rd_r=d14c4175-0ef6-11e9-bb8a-e510410a1d5d&pd_rd_w=6Ldr5&pd_rd_wg=ymhwY&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=SDSEBRG8VCT5WPQW0V26&psc=1&refRID=SDSEBRG8VCT5WPQW0V26

Tires 65 not required. I run mine at about 60 back and 55 front. Some people go less. Even slightly less pressure will give you a nicer ride

NO people in the overhead while driving. Not front axle you should be worried about. It's the overhead itself. One of the first places Toyota motorhomes show damage. Made for sleeping not bouncing down the road. Not safe either. You know some weird people

Solar I don't know and don't know what model fridge you have. If you can tell us someone here will know the off switch

Linda S

What model is your onboard converter/charger?

The 200w solar is a good deal, BUT how big is your battery?? Do you know AH or group size??

The refer Dometic 2401 has a simple controller (you) The controls should be on the bottom of the refer. Right to left  Big knob A source switch GAS OFF ELECTRIC,  next big knob B is the thermostat gas or electric, then a small push button the piezo sparker, last is a window to see the flame. If the refer has been changed out over the years all bets are off.

Edited by WME

- Can I walk on its roof?  How many people can walk on the roof?   ---------------What Linda said....  I will add your owners manual should specify.  

- There's what looks like a roof rack on it, but I don't think it is.  I don't think I'd want to put some luggage on it, exposed to the elements and overloading the thing.  Does anyone know what it's used for?  ---------------Pictures please

- l'm 190 lbs.  Ok, 200 lbs.  And the ladder to get on the roof seems flimsy, like there are just wood screws attached to plywood holding it (it's the original ladder).  Will it hold?  -------Hard to say -  be careful

- I bought a deep-cycle battery from Home Depot that fills the space and no one can tell me exactly for how long I'm suppose to charge it (I've gotten answers that range from "24 hours" to "1 week") and I've also been told that I should charge it using a shore (AC) connection because the car's alternator won't charge it enough.  That sounds like bollocks, but does anyone know?  -----I would charge it once with a regular battery charger - disconnect a terminal from that battery if it is hooked to camper while charging.  The engine charging will only charge the house battery slowly. Sounds like you are not "up" on deep cycle batteries - charge till it is full and keep it topped off.  which converter is installed in your Toy?

- Speaking of the battery, I found a 200W solar panel and charge controller on eBay for like $225 - can I hook this up to this thing or will it blow it up or not be enough? I only have the one single battery I bought for like $80 at Home Depot... ------no idea - there are some solar gurus here...

- No one seems to know how much pressure I'm suppose to have on the tires.  The RV shop said to put them at whatever the tires themselves show (they say "65 PSI Max" and that's what they said to do) and, I don't know, running a tire at its Maximum Pressure does not seem right to me because with friction the pressure is likely to increase.  Anyone know? ----- I run my rears close to 65, fronts lower - about 50-55.   At 65,blows,  if one rear blows, the other should be able to carry the load

- It has a Dometic AC-LP fridge.  I can't find a way to shut it off, I can only see that I can run it on "LP" or "AC".  How do I shut it off when I'm just driving around or do I just leave it on "AC"?-------AC is for when you have AC power available,  I run mine on LP all the time - turn it off when in storage and when I refill LP tank.

- People always want to ride in it while on the bunk over the cab and I don't let them because I think it adds unnecessary weight to the front axle, does anyone know?------ what linda said.

- I feel weird leaving all my stuff (laptop, money, other valuables) in it while I'm out and about.  Should I get a safe or something? -------personal choice. depends on where you are. I would consider discretion. there are few places to hide things....

- It's a V6 (which I think had 150HP from the factory) and a 4-speed Auto transmission.  I measured 12.5MPG in mostly city driving.  My question is:  What's the best speed to drive on the freeway, a good compromise between speed v. efficiency?  I notice 4th gear (which I assume to be overdrive) does not seem to come on until like over 50 MPH...  Is this normal? ----- the OD sounds like it is normal based on your description.  -------I run about 60 - I get 13 mph with engine AC on, 14 off.

15 hours ago, linda s said:

No dancing on the roof. If you need to go up there for any reason best to have some plywood to put down to distribute the weight. One person only. It looks in good shape but tiny leaks over the years might have caused damage to the roofing structure weakening it. make sure it's sealed and leave it alone.

Ladder No way to tell without looking at it. Those bolts can loosen up also from water damage and just wear and tear from weight. Some people bungy chairs and bikes to their ladders. You don't really know what happened to yours before you got it. Just be careful and aware of the possibility that it can't hold you. 

Battery will charge more fully on AC power unless your driving long distances every day. Buy one of these. Plug into 12 volt outlet and you'll know exactly how much it charged

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000EVWDU0&pd_rd_r=d14c4175-0ef6-11e9-bb8a-e510410a1d5d&pd_rd_w=6Ldr5&pd_rd_wg=ymhwY&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=SDSEBRG8VCT5WPQW0V26&psc=1&refRID=SDSEBRG8VCT5WPQW0V26

Tires 65 not required. I run mine at about 60 back and 55 front. Some people go less. Even slightly less pressure will give you a nicer ride

NO people in the overhead while driving. Not front axle you should be worried about. It's the overhead itself. One of the first places Toyota motorhomes show damage. Made for sleeping not bouncing down the road. Not safe either. You know some weird people

Solar I don't know and don't know what model fridge you have. If you can tell us someone here will know the off switch

Linda S

Thanks so much for the info!  I think I'll drop my pressures a bit for the better ride.  The fridge is a Dometic RM2401 and like an idiot, I was just turning the switch between the "gas" and "electric" setting whilst looking at the instructions that are right there...  Not noticing that in between there's an "off" setting.  I turned it off now, so I guess I'll use it off when I'm driving around.  I think the Innova monitor will work for the car battery because it plugs into the cigarette lighter, so I need something for the coach battery, but I get the general idea of what I should be looking for. 

There should be a 12 volt outlet, looks like cigarette lighter socket,  in your coach somewhere. We all have them. That one will show your coach battery charge. Someone here that has a Dolphin can tell you where it is. 

Linda S

13 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

- Can I walk on its roof?  How many people can walk on the roof?   ---------------What Linda said....  I will add your owners manual should specify.  

- There's what looks like a roof rack on it, but I don't think it is.  I don't think I'd want to put some luggage on it, exposed to the elements and overloading the thing.  Does anyone know what it's used for?  ---------------Pictures please

- l'm 190 lbs.  Ok, 200 lbs.  And the ladder to get on the roof seems flimsy, like there are just wood screws attached to plywood holding it (it's the original ladder).  Will it hold?  -------Hard to say -  be careful

- I bought a deep-cycle battery from Home Depot that fills the space and no one can tell me exactly for how long I'm suppose to charge it (I've gotten answers that range from "24 hours" to "1 week") and I've also been told that I should charge it using a shore (AC) connection because the car's alternator won't charge it enough.  That sounds like bollocks, but does anyone know?  -----I would charge it once with a regular battery charger - disconnect a terminal from that battery if it is hooked to camper while charging.  The engine charging will only charge the house battery slowly. Sounds like you are not "up" on deep cycle batteries - charge till it is full and keep it topped off.  which converter is installed in your Toy?

- Speaking of the battery, I found a 200W solar panel and charge controller on eBay for like $225 - can I hook this up to this thing or will it blow it up or not be enough? I only have the one single battery I bought for like $80 at Home Depot... ------no idea - there are some solar gurus here...

- No one seems to know how much pressure I'm suppose to have on the tires.  The RV shop said to put them at whatever the tires themselves show (they say "65 PSI Max" and that's what they said to do) and, I don't know, running a tire at its Maximum Pressure does not seem right to me because with friction the pressure is likely to increase.  Anyone know? ----- I run my rears close to 65, fronts lower - about 50-55.   At 65,blows,  if one rear blows, the other should be able to carry the load

- It has a Dometic AC-LP fridge.  I can't find a way to shut it off, I can only see that I can run it on "LP" or "AC".  How do I shut it off when I'm just driving around or do I just leave it on "AC"?-------AC is for when you have AC power available,  I run mine on LP all the time - turn it off when in storage and when I refill LP tank.

- People always want to ride in it while on the bunk over the cab and I don't let them because I think it adds unnecessary weight to the front axle, does anyone know?------ what linda said.

- I feel weird leaving all my stuff (laptop, money, other valuables) in it while I'm out and about.  Should I get a safe or something? -------personal choice. depends on where you are. I would consider discretion. there are few places to hide things....

- It's a V6 (which I think had 150HP from the factory) and a 4-speed Auto transmission.  I measured 12.5MPG in mostly city driving.  My question is:  What's the best speed to drive on the freeway, a good compromise between speed v. efficiency?  I notice 4th gear (which I assume to be overdrive) does not seem to come on until like over 50 MPH...  Is this normal? ----- the OD sounds like it is normal based on your description.  -------I run about 60 - I get 13 mph with engine AC on, 14 off.

Thanks for all the info!  I will stay off the ladder unless I REALLY need to go up there.  The rack I'm talking about is just a u-shaped guard-like bar mounted to the roof, it runs from the AC, back, around the bathroom vent, and over to the other side.  It's more like a guard; if you look at the picture of the RV you can see it up there on the back part of the roof.  It looks factory-installed, so I don't know if it's just a guard or some luggage rack.  And more importantly, if I can just remove it.  It has a brand new converter some RV shop installed because the old one was dead, I'll have to look up the make & model but I recall it being made in Indiana... or maybe Ohio.   

Quick question - the speedometer on my RV ('89 Toyota V6 Truck Chassis) has been making a horrendous noise (a "woo-woo-woo" continuous noise; almost sounds like the engine is revving too much but it isn't) especially when it's cold out.  It doesn't do it all the time, but since it's been getting really chilly (low 30's) it seems to have worsened.  Also, when I get up to around 60MPH the speedometer hilariously jumps to like 80-85 MPH, and stays there for a bit, then comes back down to 60, in other words, it's erratic.  Is it time to get a new speedometer cable or might it just be loose at the speedometer connection?  Anyone?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:43 AM, lopezg273 said:

Quick question - the speedometer on my RV ('89 Toyota V6 Truck Chassis) has been making a horrendous noise (a "woo-woo-woo" continuous noise; almost sounds like the engine is revving too much but it isn't) especially when it's cold out.  It doesn't do it all the time, but since it's been getting really chilly (low 30's) it seems to have worsened.  Also, when I get up to around 60MPH the speedometer hilariously jumps to like 80-85 MPH, and stays there for a bit, then comes back down to 60, in other words, it's erratic.  Is it time to get a new speedometer cable or might it just be loose at the speedometer connection?  Anyone?

Noisy Speedo cable

Same thing happened to my 1990 Toyota RV V6 and in warm weather I disconnected negative battery cable and removed dash board and front panel and disconnected Speedo cable.

And pull out speedo cable to front engine area and applied Lucas chain Lub 11oz spray and hold up Speedo cable.  up position for one day to let soak down and apply Lub  couple more time every 8 hr , and applied Lucas chain lube 11oz spray can to panel Speedo cable base input area. made upside down panel and apply lub  and noise disappeared

https://rv-mod.blogspot.com/2019/01/noisy-speedo-cable-fixed.html

1990 Toyota/Winnebago RV V6

J

Edited by j.gima

On 1/4/2019 at 10:11 PM, j.gima said:

Noisy Speedo cable

Same thing happened to my 1990 Toyota RV V6 and in warm weather I disconnected negative battery cable and removed dash board and front panel and disconnected Speedo cable.

And pull out speedo cable to front engine area and applied Lucas chain Lub 11oz spray and hold up Speedo cable.  up position for one day to let soak down and apply Lub  couple more time every 8 hr , and applied Lucas chain lube 11oz spray can to panel Speedo cable base input area. made upside down panel and apply lub  and noise disappeared

Lub job photos

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2985923971433693354#editor/target=post;postID=1904427345958639605;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname

1990 Toyota/Winnebago RV V6

J

Thanks, I will try that!

You can also buy lube actually made for these cables as well as the adapter tool to make spraying easy!