Infant car seat

tone

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

i am not a full timer RV but would like to get input on where you all carry a new born car seat.

i have 1984 toyota dolphin with two seats in the front. there is a couch in the house but no seat belts.

i had a 87 before and it had a bench seat which could accommodate 3 people with the middle being a small child.

are we legally allowed to put a car seat on the passenger side since we don't have airbags? but i would like a better option as my wife will be riding there on our road trips

any suggestions would be appreciated.

also am not sure where to plug city water to my dolphin20181213_091023.jpg.91eddc27340ee8e0ede18339c813b371.jpg

20181212_092656.jpg

20181213_091030.jpg

Edited by tone
Spelling

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Hook up City water to the "not sure what this is" connection. :)

So do I need a special hose. Cause my hose is a male and to hook up looks like the hose needs to be female 

Flip up the nearby cushions, open  cabinet doors  and see where it goes. Maybe  an  exterior shower fitting

It does appear to be a water inlet but maybe there is a screw on part that is missing to make it a male fixture. I would just replace it. New ones can be bought for less than 10 bucks

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Exterior-/50069/i.html?_nkw=rv+water+inlet

For the car seat. If it has the snap in base I would install seat belt in back of and behind the front seats to secure it to the floor. Bolting it in is also an option but then you couldn't move it to your other vehicles. A seat belt set is not expensive. It will be too long but if your wife sews or you know someone who does they can be easily shortened. Putting baby there will allow your wife to see and take care of him or her. Please make sure everything in the camper is put away or secured though. One quick stop can send stuff flying. I even put my table away in the bathroom so it can't come loose

Linda S

33 minutes ago, linda s said:

It does appear to be a water inlet but maybe there is a screw on part that is missing to make it a male fixture. I would just replace it. New ones can be bought for less than 10 bucks

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Exterior-/50069/i.html?_nkw=rv+water+inlet

For the car seat. If it has the snap in base I would install seat belt in back of and behind the front seats to secure it to the floor. Bolting it in is also an option but then you couldn't move it to your other vehicles. A seat belt set is not expensive. It will be too long but if your wife sews or you know someone who does they can be easily shortened. Putting baby there will allow your wife to see and take care of him or her. Please make sure everything in the camper is put away or secured though. One quick stop can send stuff flying. I even put my table away in the bathroom so it can't come loose

Linda S

Thank you Linda. you're always helpful. i will buy that part and try to put it 

i never taught about bolting it, but sounds like a good idea. as we have another car seat, so the base staying there won't be much of an issue.

am just worried if we ever got pulled over if that would be legal?

thank you again and Merry Christmas 

Seat belts are not even required for back seats in RV's. Of course you want your child to be safe. Put your base in and drive to the county sheriff. Ask them to look at it. Or you could call them first. Ask for advice. They love that. I do have another friend who did the same thing in his Tiger. I'm pretty sure his daughter is graduating from high school soon so it does work. Base should not move. Just make sure it's very secure. Long bolts that go all the way through floor with nut and washer on bottom is best. 

Linda S

My Nova Star had seat belts for the jackknife couch I always thought that to be a bit strange seems like they would be pretty dangerous sitting sideways.  Can you fasten the child seat to the bulkhead between the coach and the cab with the child facing aft that would be pretty safe. 

As far I know, at least in the era that motorhomes were built on Toyotas, the seatbelts in the back were a whim of the coach builder and not built to meet any test standards. Maybe better than nothing, but a poorly designed/installed/adjusted/worn belt can lead to injuries. Perhaps different injuries.

snoopy.jpg

“Lap only” belts may be among the most dangerous auto defect problems in existence today and are among the worst design defects. Lap seat belts isolate the violent impact to a person’s midsection, often resulting in severe injuries to the internal organs and spinal cord. This design can cause deadly internal bleeding or organ injuries. Some of the older lap seat belt designs can actually cause more damage than if the person had not been wearing them at all.

IMHO, sitting sideways with lap belt is even worse.

SOURCE:

Crash Testing for Dummies.jpg

If you install floor mount seatbelts, you should use a large fender washer top and bottom to reinforce the anchor bolt. A 2x4 piece of 3/16 strap iron will be even better if the bolt goes through only a wood floor.