Cost for Renovating Sunrader

kittycamper

Hi all,

I have a new to me 18' Sunrader. I love it, but of course, I am looking at updating it a bit. I am not handy though. And I don't really have that much time to learn and work on it. Everything in it is working as of now. I would love to make it prettier and update the appliances- hopefully with lighter weight appliances and a bit smaller. I also want to get rid of the bathroom altogether. 

How much do you think it would cost to have this little guy renovated for me? I am not averse to spending some money on it, but I don't really have a good sense for how much I should be putting aside for this project. Of course, I would love to take it all the way down to the fiberglass and do it right, but I need to get a sense of costs and put together a plan before I start anything. 

Thanks for any advise- no matter how disheartening!

there are some really cheap easy things that any one can do. if you want to update the interior. the old wooden siding can be covered with gesso. available at any art store or online. then you can paint the existing siding with any color that fancies you. if you do not like the formica countertops you can seek out contact paper and cover the counters. there are plenty of vids on the you tube . my friend has a Minnie Winnie and he and his wife live in it full time. they took out the original curtains and put in fresh ones basically out of sheets cut into strips. this totally changes the interior look. they also removed the cabinet doors and painted them various single color blocks.

small changes are easy and can be done over a weekend. if you want to add solar the systems start out about 1000 dollars and they can take more time to install.

the first thing that I did was to remove the aged carpet and install vinyl wood flooring that I had gotten from the habitat for humanity restore. I used 2 boxes. got em for about 15 dollars and installed in a day.

good luck and have fun with it!

Best of luck.

Remove the bathroom and you seriously impact the value of your rig. As a woman a clean bathroom is a must have. Pit toilets at campgrounds just don't cut it. Appliances today are almost the same as the oldies as far as weight. Very expensive too. You could remove the stove/oven and just get a cook top. If your cabinets are in good shape just paint them. Nothing needed but paint. Replacing them will add more weight I guarantee  it. Outside can be made to shine with bar keepers friend cleanser and floor wax, the name eludes me at this hour but someone will post it. New curtains, waterproof vinyl plank flooring. All stuff you can do yourself for very little money.  

Linda S

Wax is Zep. Home depot has it. Several thin coats. Works amazing

4 hours ago, linda s said:

Remove the bathroom and you seriously impact the value of your rig. As a woman a clean bathroom is a must have. Pit toilets at campgrounds just don't cut it. Appliances today are almost the same as the oldies as far as weight. Very expensive too. You could remove the stove/oven and just get a cook top. If your cabinets are in good shape just paint them. Nothing needed but paint. Replacing them will add more weight I guarantee  it. Outside can be made to shine with bar keepers friend cleanser and floor wax, the name eludes me at this hour but someone will post it. New curtains, waterproof vinyl plank flooring. All stuff you can do yourself for very little money.  

Linda S

Wax is Zep. Home depot has it. Several thin coats. Works amazing

Boy I'll say The guy that bought my Nova Star used Zep and I really thought he had painted it! 8 coats but it had a shine like a new penny.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely follow up on these ideas. You are getting me excited. I really don't want to add more weight. And a lot of this sounds like it doesn't take too much to get a good impact. 

I am female and don't love having a bathroom in a small space- kind of gross to me. But, I do get your point Linda, about the value so I guess that is something to consider. 

Thanks, guys,

K

Having removed and re-installed the shower-stall / bathroom in an 18' Sunrader, (rear dinette), I would concur with Maineah, Linda and Derek. You have to cut the shower stall up into pieces (very messy - fiberglass dust etc) and then you have more work to rebuilt the space.  In my mind, two things,...... 1. You may meet a camping partner who would be mightily impressed with such a convenience  :love:, and, 2. If you must abandon the loo for grossness abatement, why not consider just removing the toilet and covering the waste outlet with a caulked and sealed plate screwed to the toilet flange. You could then utilize the area for storage or a closet.

IMHO, the tear-out is very messy, and the rebuild is a pain if you change your mind.

Congrats on your acquisition,

TG

PS For those with inquiring minds, I took mine out (and put it back) whole, under / through the back of the frame while the floor was out and the coach was jacked up.:w00t:

• 3 weeks later...

I would never buy one that had the bathroom ripped out. I shake my head every time I see someone rip out the bathroom; to me, they have ruined the rig. Like Derek said, who wants to go out in the rain or snow? And as a female, there is no way in heck that I am going to walk down to the empty restroom by myself in the middle of the night. It’s too creepy. 

• 1 month later...

I am currently in the process of ripping out everything in my 83 210rkb Sunrader. I am leaving the toilet.... I had a camper without one and will not go back to not having one.... So far with the gutting and buying new items for the coach I have over $1000 in the parts I think and I'll have a few more hundred to go maybe. 

The repairs so far are all windows removed and resealed

All clearance lights removed changed to LED bulbs and resealed

New  2 burner stove top

New on demand LPG hot water heater

new sink and faucet

replacing the refrigerator the original was gone and a dorm fridge was put in it.... Needs lpg fridge 

Gonna build cabinets and new Kitchen along with 2 couches that will turn into a king size bed or close to one.... 

New vinyl flooring.

New Vents one in the bathroom and one where the AC was. 

window AC unit will be built into the Kitchenette  under the cook top and vented out of the back of the coach.

Removing the sink in the bathroom and putting a new faucet with out a spigot on it for the shower

I am repairing anything that needs attention while it is gutted so I don't have to do it later....

The engine has had a tune up 65000 in the odometer. New clutch, tires.

So I am almost done the tear down and will start the build once the Furring strips are glued to the walls where I need them for the new paneling .. 

I'll' need to purchase more construction adhesive soon along with a sheet of 3/4" plywood for the bed over the cab as the particle board had water damage so that was removed and I will fiberglass the plywood in when I install it.... 

You pretty much have to be a pretty handy person willing to figure things out and have confidence in operating your tools....

I look forward to seeing your rehab process to your Sunrader...

Have FUN