slcinwa

1992 Warrior - roof replacement? or repair? Cost

*sigh*

After having Sumner RV install the Winegard Connect 2.0, the roof appears to have a leak.  I saw water marks on the cover of the A/C roof-top unit so I took it off.  Then I noticed the ceiling light unit didn't turn all the way off so I removed the plastic covers and there was a little bit of water in the covers.

I've already made an appointment at Auburn-Kent Valley RV for Dec 14th (soonest they could get me in) to have them thoroughly inspect and seal roof.  But I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario.  

What does a roof repair typically cost?  What would a roof replacement typically cost?

Thanks for any insight anyone might have.

~ Shawnna

Edited by slcinwa

Depends on the leak. If the leak source is the antenna then, its just remove the antenna caulk the screw holes and reinstall the antenna and caulk the base, then lap seal it.

If you have an original uncoated roof, then Snowcoat the entire roof. If your roof has Snowcoat, then its more complicated, you should remove the coating, check and repair the roof as needed, then a new Snowcoat.

Snowcoat is like Kleenex, its sorta of a generic term...here's what I'm talking about

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/roofing/coatings/17-year-elastomeric-roof-coating/

Needing a new roof is very $$$$, 95% of the time the coating will do the job fixing the leaks, IF the rig wasn't damaged by lack of care by the P/O.

The cost of labor to have it done will be way more than the cost of the materials. DIY in your future??

A local RV repair charges $100 per ft for a new roof, so you would be looking around $2000, structural repairs are not included.

2 minutes ago, WME said:

Depends on the leak. If the leak source is the antenna then, its just remove the antenna caulk the screw holes and reinstall the antenna and caulk the base, then lap seal it.

If you have an original uncoated roof, then Snowcoat the entire roof. If your roof has Snowcoat, then its more complicated, you should remove the coating, check and repair the roof as needed, then a new Snowcoat.

Snowcoat is like Kleenex, its sorta of a generic term...here's what I'm talking about

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/roofing/coatings/17-year-elastomeric-roof-coating/

Needing a new roof is very $$$$, 95% of the time the coating will do the job fixing the leaks, IF the rig wasn't damaged by lack of care by the P/O.

The cost of labor to have it done will be way more than the cost of the materials. DIY in your future??

A local RV repair charges $100 per ft for a new roof, so you would be looking around $2000, structural repairs are not included.

Thank you so much!  The prior owner took great care of it.  There were no leaks before I took ownership (I had an inspection done and have it in writing).  I know that the idiots at Sumner RV caused the leaks to occur with their carelessness.  This motorhome is in great shape and if I have to, I'll get a new roof.  

Thanks again!

i have a warrior,  if the leak is "new" , just fix the leak.  New seals , gaskets etc.

If the wood in the roof has rotted, all bets off.  Very hard to repair. 

Since these campers have a sheet of tin covering the roof, I do not recommend any of the coatings. They cover up and can aggravate moisture.

Lap sealant is used on the seals on the roof 

Most of the metal roofed Toys have aluminum roofs, they tend to develop pin holes due to corrosion. So the snowcoat stuff is the answer. On a properly prep roof it will last at least 10 years. The ugly is if your "new" toy has a snow coated leaking roof you have no idea if it was properly prepared, so you have to remove the old stuff and prep it, the  reseal it.

Good stuff for roof repairs... Eternabond tape, in various widths. Dicor self leveling lap sealant.

How long was it until you noticed the leak? How bad a leak? If the antenna is the source do what WME recommends. I don’t agree with Dan. These aluminum roofs need a few coats of Snowseal to maintain their integrity! If it’s been awhile since the leak was noticed you need to be concerned with rot and mold on the inside walls. Have them inspect the walls and interior roof also. I can’t imagine you need an entire new roof! Just reseal the area where the idiots installed the antenna. 

4 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

How long was it until you noticed the leak? How bad a leak? If the antenna is the source do what WME recommends. I don’t agree with Dan. These aluminum roofs need a few coats of Snowseal to maintain their integrity! If it’s been awhile since the leak was noticed you need to be concerned with rot and mold on the inside walls. Have them inspect the walls and interior roof also. I can’t imagine you need an entire new roof! Just reseal the area where the idiots installed the antenna. 

Literally it was the same day I picked it up that I noticed the leaks so I'm fairly certain there's not a lot of real damage at this point.  I've got a heavy duty waterproof tarp on it and it will stay that way until I can take it into the shop.  

I really appreciate everyone's insight on this!  You all are awesome!

Don't know where your leak is but often it is the seal around the shaft there is a replaceable seal inside of the tube, that leak will not affect the roof or the woodwork but it will drip on the floor.

we just bought a 1994 dolphin, and the guy we bought it from showed us and gave us the bill showing the cost of the new roof and it was just under $10,000 canadian, he was lucky his insurance paid for most of it.

I just love all of you folks!  So much information and knowledge sharing in one place!

I've got a heavy duty tarp on her right now (I'm going to be building a RV carport for her as soon as the City approves the permit).  She goes to Auburn-Kent Valley RV on Dec 17th.  I feel confident I'll get a solid diagnose and repair plan soon after.  

Stay tuned!  

HI THERE AND WELCOME,  i have a 92 warrior that had the entire roof replaced at a local rv shop. my insurance covered the cost with no deductable. that is the good news. the price was just under 5k. the bad side is it took the shop all summer, i missed the entire camping season, but the new roof is a big plus for the  resale value of my rig. it is a major job and can be extremely costly. if you are confident that your leak is a result of the recent work that was done with the antenna, i would suggest having the people who worked on the antenna reseal it at their cost.  if you have concerns that the leak is older, i would inspect for damage, rot, etc. i hope your situation is the former. good luck. joe from dover.

3 minutes ago, hunkaman said:

HI THERE AND WELCOME,  i have a 92 warrior that had the entire roof replaced at a local rv shop. my insurance covered the cost with no deductable. that is the good news. the price was just under 5k. the bad side is it took the shop all summer, i missed the entire camping season, but the new roof is a big plus for the  resale value of my rig. it is a major job and can be extremely costly. if you are confident that your leak is a result of the recent work that was done with the antenna, i would suggest having the people who worked on the antenna reseal it at their cost.  if you have concerns that the leak is older, i would inspect for damage, rot, etc. i hope your situation is the former. good luck. joe from dover.

Hi there,

I had my rig thoroughly inspected before I bought it; no leaks whatsoever.  Then AFTER the antenna is installed, I have two leaks (that I can see; one through the rooftop A/C unit and the other through the ceiling light fixture.  I put a tarp on it right away and have a freestanding heater in it running full time to dry things out.  I could tell that the service guys at Sumner RV had really no interest in even working on the unit so I won't be taking it back there.  

I haven't even used the rig yet!  I want to get all of the things it needs done BEFORE taking it out early next year (if possible).  I plan to keep it for a very, very long time so if putting a new roof on it is needed, that's what she'll get!  

I'll circle back and share what happens after I get the leak diagnosed.  You all are always so very helpful!