I was looking into replacing the axle on my RV to be on the safe side.  I was thinking it was a 19 footer because that's whats listed on NADA.  I have a 1979 mini mirage, not so well known I don't think.  anyway I actually measured it and its 16 feet bumper to bumper, so actually 15 feet back to front.  I know people say the chinooks are pretty safe on the OG Toyota axle.  I haven't weighed it, but just wondering what y'all think on the axle?   I'm guessing everyone will say replace it but I'm just looking at things realistically.

What it comes down to is do you have dual wheels in the back or single. Some early Dolphins came with single wheels maybe yours did too. If it had dual wheels it needs an upgrade or convert it to single wheels. Is yours a pop top version? 

Linda S

17 minutes ago, moalaska said:

No its got the foolies on it, standard height cabover just 15 footer.

I wouldn’t risk driving it.  The older it is, the more mileage, the more rust and fatigue, the closer it is to it’s inevitable failure.  

SYou need to weigh it, then you WILL KNOW if you can do a single rear wheel or must up grade to a 1 ton.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Newbie here.  I saw and obtained an 84 Bandit (pop top) and i’m Learning there is much I don’t know.  It has single wheel axle in the back.  My question is how to start the process of figuring out the situation about the axle?

Thanks!  I have read the multi page summary several times, and I came away uncertain each time.  84 appears to have been “critical” in the time break of dealing with this, and the bandit I have just doesn’t look like many of the others (TMHs) i’ve Seen pictured.

F805EC7D-1E30-4BCB-A436-52E0AA4E5E21.jpeg

as far as I know those would be sealed throw away bearings. you pull axles and have new bearings pressed on . and I think ,I would don't know how good they are .

Yep sealed standard bearings bit of a pain to replace not really a backyard job they will have to be pressed off and back on. If there is any roughness to them when turned by hand they are no good you should feel just a bit of resistance when turned by hand from the grease inside.