Advice on what model to buy

wolfmother09

Hey everyone! Brand new to this forum, and I'm sure there are a million of these types of posts, but I was hoping some of you experienced toyota RV people could help me decide which model to keep my eye out for. I've looked at Sunlanders, Winnies, Dolphins and am getting a little overwhelmed. I'm planning to start travel nursing in 2 years and would like to live out of one of these RVs during my assignments and the travel time in between. Any advice and recommendations would be truly appreciated!  Here are the things I'm considering:

1. I will be living in it full-time for probably 6 months out of the year

2. 21 feet would be my max size, but the smaller the better

3. I will probably be driving it into mountainous areas of Colorado, so I'm thinking the V6 engine is better, as I've heard the models with the 22re struggle to get up hills

4. Budget is $12,000ish

5. Four-wheel drive would be awesome

I also just have a few random questions. How easy is it to find parts for these older RVs? What about tires?

Thanks so much for your help!

- Rachel

12 grand wil buy something nice 4X4 might be a search they bring big bucks. The RV parts are common to all RV's so that's not an issue and of course it's sitting on a Toyota frame so you are on the right track Tires are out there but slightly hard to find.

$12K this time of the year is a good budget for a 2wd. 4wd will be 2x that amount.

OK everything from here comes as an OPINION

Unless you are a devout minimalist get a 21ft unit. These have a separate toilet, bath. The 18ft typically have wet bath, after a few months it might be a bit much.

The rear bath also gives you 3 zones, rear bathroom, middle kitchen/living room, front bedroom, again a weekend is way different than 6 months.

Are you in a perpetual hurry? My 4 cylinder has been over the Passes in Estes Park and through the Eisenhower tunnel.

Again you driving a Toyota pickup and there were a zillion built so parts are easy.

Big deal rule, There are no bad Motorhomes, only bad previous owners. Figure $1500 for stuff needing to be fixed. 

Tires can be found at superwalmart   the fiberglass exterior models seem to be less leaky.  6lug dually rear is a upgrade and ideal vs the under par 5 lug dually   Depending on model.  Matching front adapters makes tire rotation possible and only need one spare.   I've only seen a few up close and own a old 85 coachman  with the 22r  So let the others chime in   A buddy of mine has a warrior with the v6 and loves it.  I've got my eyes on a sunraider i can get cheap meaning lots of work but a 50 k mile rig with the 22re keeping my fingers crossed i can save up the cash before someone else nabs it up