Cable détente transmission on its last leg v63l

Cedric lauzon

Manually shift it. L-2-D. hold it as long as you like. They usually don't fail half way it is either is stuck or it's not. If it's stuck open it won't shift out of low until the engine screams for mercy or if it's broken it will quick shift.

The reason I took the picture of this cable is that it looks to short to reach from top of engine down to gear lever shifter .

do you you think this is the right one ?

the engine now stalls when idling and I discovered static from car body like some stray currents are present and engine fires really weird sometimes it settle to normal and then gets really  wobbly.

new spark plugs , 02 sensor , cdistribution cables, new cap , new rotor ....sea foam for injector cleaner ....twice ! 

Still going up hills at 15 mph . No engine check lights 

limped to Globe Az  ,

How would you prioritize in this situation ?

had a mobile mechanic change distributor cap and rotor said it was the problem , changed fouled spark plug that did not fire because bad distributor. No power still . Is it the gear problem or something else ?

thank you for any feedback .

Ps when in 2 engine will slow down to 15 mph and screens back to 20 , 25 and back to 15 on slopes while other scream by at 60mph!

my L gear has never worked !!since i bought the car 

Edited by Cedric lauzon
More precision

Engine running BAD...weird things... Make a new ground cable, find a bare metal bolt on the engine, run a 10 gauge or larger wire from there to the battery -, then another from the battery - to the chassis. Sand/scrape a bare spot on the chassis. 

Edited by WME

Thanks , the cable is exactly the size you said . 

To install it , can I do the adjustments myself ?

the static , yes will ground the engine and chassis better .

That cable might not be the right one for your rig. The Toyota part number equivalent for the one you have is 35520-35090. Search of a Toyota factory parts site shows this one is the only correct one for the dual wheel trucks. 

• Fitting Vehicle Options: VZN120, 85, 9#.. ATM

Toyota Part No.: 35520-35050

CABLE ASSEMBLY, THROTTLE

Toyota 35520-35050 CABLE ASSEMBLY, THROTTLE
Part Description Cable Assy, Throttle
Manufacturer

Toyota. This genuine Toyota part is guaranteed by Toyota's factory warranty.

Sure you can install it yourself buy 4 quarts of trans fluid and some ramps to drive the MH up on craw under remove the trans pan install new cable have a friend hold down the accelerator pedal to the floor adjust the slack out of the cable. If you adjust it improperly it will either shift too fast or too late. On another note if this thing is running as poorly as you said it was and apparently has for some time there is a good possibility your catalytic converter is plugged up that can definitely cause a lack of power smell bad etc. Two choices remove the cat and try it or have someone that knows what they are doing check it with vacuum gauge. 

4 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Not doubting what Toyota's database shows, but would be very curious to compare a DRW specific cable with the others to see what makes it so special!

Unfortunately Toyota doesn't give lengths or details and I could not find an off brand equivalent  to that part number. Only a junk yard dive would economically solve the question. 

Linda S

The bottom line if it's long enough from A to B it will work. no ideal why a one ton rear would make a difference unless it's the way it's run. There is no reason a converted 1/2 to 1 ton wouldn't still use the original cable.

thank you all for the cable update , here is a picture of the actual detente cable coming in transmission, I understand that it is not part # CA 1994 and as you can see it looks broken.

So off I go to look for Toyota part Number 

35520-35050  for the detent cable !

for the v6 engine , right ?!

2C3E6B98-BDCE-4335-9849-D1DCB81831C1.jpeg

The part you showed us that's called a detent cable has an associated Toyota part number for it. That part number comes up on Toyota websites as a throttle cable. 

https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/TOYOTA__/CABLE-ASSY--THROTTLE/3933829/3552035090.html

So I found the equivalent part for your vehicle

I see nothing on ebay calling it a fuel cable, just throttle. That's probably what Toyota calls it instead of detent.

Linda S

Technically it's a TV cable (throttle valve) some call it a kickdown cable. The one Linda pictured appears to be the correct one. If it's broken it will shift way to soon this is hard on the trans and will cause overheating of the transmission fluid. The transmission pan has to be removed any way to replace the cable so 4 qts of new fluid will be a plus.

Edited by Maineah

Adding to my own topic here ....the 35520-35050 on eBay is a Fuel throttle cable not a detent cable .

Thanks guys !

so now I will shift well and can watch TV as well ...haha..

12 hours ago, Cedric lauzon said:

Adding to my own topic here ....the 35520-35050 on eBay is a Fuel throttle cable not a detent cable .

Thanks guys !

so now I will shift well and can watch TV as well ...haha..

Dude if it was a fuel throttle cable that was broken it will just idle and would not move. As you have seen a detent cable is not listed, it has a lot to do with translation there are three different words in Japanese for "valve". So I think what you meant to say was "thank you Linda for taking the time to find the proper cable"

Thanks guys !

and A personnal Thanks to Linda for taking the time .