The A/C has been updated with new refrigerant but I keep having to have it repaired, recharged. The mechanic finally told me not to bring it back again. Now the heater and A/C fan sounds like it's going out. Has any one encountered this? The vehicle is in good shape otherwise...

8 hours ago, Nrae n Winnie said:

The A/C has been updated with new refrigerant but I keep having to have it repaired, recharged. The mechanic finally told me not to bring it back again. Now the heater and A/C fan sounds like it's going out. Has any one encountered this? The vehicle is in good shape otherwise...

Repaired is a broad term and needs some clarification.

Often something can get in the fan blower and cause a racket. Google how to check and clean.  On mine the blower wheel was broken! 

I just had the fan out of my 2011 Tacoma squealing like a pig from dry bushings. Bit of some light grease good for another 100K.

Noise from blower is common, especially if you're in an area with lots of mice or squirrels. I need to pull my own blower again, thanks to what sounds like another acorn stashed away in there, dangit. :(

if the blower motor ( fan ) is not working correctly it will effect the performance of the air conditioner so check to make Shure it is working. a lot of blowers wheels are plastic and over time become brittle and break . the bearing in the blower motor can dry out and put enough drag that the motor does not spin fast enough and or kills the motor. what exactly did the shop do to it ? that could help with further diagnosis.      

If the ac system requires recharging when nothing else is broke it is leaking.  You could attempt to locate the leak with very soapy water , like classic dawn mixed about 50/50 in a spray bottle or simply brushed on all the fittings & connections you can find. Check the high and low access ports with the caps removed and check across the entire condencer. The condencer sits in front of the radiator and looks about the same. And use plenty on the compressor  where all hoses connect and in between the housing and pulley.   all the while looking for bubbles to keep forming indicating a leak    If no leaks are found it could be in the evaporator coil that is a lot tougher to get to.

Edited by Miharriblz

There are cheap leak finders available.   They are not 100% accurate and can be fooled, of no use when engine is running.  But with the tester and  soap bubbles, opp's soap bubbles. Pro's no longer use soap bubbles, they have high tech solutions now!   Like Hercules leak detector and many others!

Anyway with electronic leak detector and high tech soap bubbles should be able to hone in on leak. Not sure if detectors work with R12??

I replaced every part of my AC except the pressure switch and it was the *&^%$ pressure switch that leaked.  It is inside the evaporator case which is a fun job to get to!

https://www.amazon.com/KIPA-Refrigerant-Detector-Portable-Condition/dp/B07D28ZWTN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541769350&sr=8-3&keywords=refrigerant+leak+checker

Edited by jjrbus

I used nitrogen instead of freon to check for leak if you have a leak you have to capture what is in the system nitrogen can harmless be released and is pretty cheap a truly good AC outfit should be using it. I believe the fan on a second gen Toyota is pretty easy to remove worth having a look at without good airflow the AC will not work well.