New to group and......

Qballfc

Hello! Just joined. I’ve been looking for a Chinook or Sunrader for a while now and one has just popped up. 1978 Sunrader going for $5k. I’m going to look at it in a few hours, and since I’m not a mechanically inclined person, was just wondering what were the most important tips to look at to make sure RV is with the money. I do apologize if this should be in a different section of this forum. Thank you for your help. Mike.

2 hours ago, Qballfc said:

Hello! Just joined. I’ve been looking for a Chinook or Sunrader for a while now and one has just popped up. 1978 Sunrader going for $5k. I’m going to look at it in a few hours, and since I’m not a mechanically inclined person, was just wondering what were the most important tips to look at to make sure RV is with the money. I do apologize if this should be in a different section of this forum. Thank you for your help. Mike.

Count the number of lug nuts on the rear axle. If you have duel tires and 5 lug nuts, the axle is unsafe and will cost lots of $$$ to replace. Tire age is also a biggy. They may look good but could be too old to be safe. 

There are countless things to be checked and most with time and money are fixable.  Tire age age is a biggy, tires that look good ready to explode on the way home!   Google how to read DOT codes and check for dry rot.  I would replace tires of unknown history at 6 years old.

The absolute worst problem I have seen over the years is overheating problems.  People have bought Toys and they start with a thermostat, then a water pump, new radiator, new fan clutch, change to electric fan, then a fancy multi core radiator on and on throwing good money after bad.   Overheating can be difficult to diagnose and may be a simple fix or a nightmare!

It is often head gasket sealer or magic radiator fix that has plugged the cooling cores in the motor.  This is rare, I have seen 4 in the last 3 years, but for me personally if I saw any signs of overheating I would walk away.

cooling passeges blocked..PNG

7 hours ago, jjrbus said:

There are countless things to be checked and most with time and money are fixable.  Tire age age is a biggy, tires that look good ready to explode on the way home!   Google how to read DOT codes and check for dry rot.  I would replace tires of unknown history at 6 years old.

The absolute worst problem I have seen over the years is overheating problems.  People have bought Toys and they start with a thermostat, then a water pump, new radiator, new fan clutch, change to electric fan, then a fancy multi core radiator on and on throwing good money after bad.   Overheating can be difficult to diagnose and may be a simple fix or a nightmare!

It is often head gasket sealer or magic radiator fix that has plugged the cooling cores in the motor.  This is rare, I have seen 4 in the last 3 years, but for me personally if I saw any signs of overheating I would walk away.

cooling passeges blocked..PNG

I like that picture. A common mistake done. Keep renewing the sealant instead of fixing the problem. Gasket sealing also has another similar effect. The thought is it will never leak when I am done. You only need a thin coat of sealant for gaskets, make it thin enough to see through on both sides of the gasket.  I knew a guy who bought a long block hot rodded engine. He used so much extra sealant for gaskets it got into the oil and pan. It blew up within a few miles after first start. And not all gaskets need sealant. Engine builder would not warrantee it.

some of that leaking can be caused by total cooling system neglet .a  guy I new bought a 1980 20 r truck all the antifreeze would go in the oil pan . the bearings where all gone . But the head was so corroded out  from  from never changing coolent. that no way would it seal. I used the cam and rockers the only savable parts                              in another 20r that I got out of a junk car the owner of that one never changed oil had to bore it  and all reman. the cam and rockers wer e   scored too junk. I have seen other aluminum heads totally eaten out by corsion.

Edited by 5Toyota

Many years ago it was Bardahl stop leak if you used more than one can the first thing it did was plug up the heater core then the radiator.