Hello All,

I have been doing a dive into reading all about an axle swap and learn without asking the question again. Sadly I'm just not as quick on the draw as I'd like to be.

Truck is 1978 and appears to have the 5 Lug dually (foolie) As the truck is so old what i have gathered is their may be some additionally fabrications rather than just finding a used axle from something older. I understand it to be switching to a 6 lug 1 ton floating axle to handle the weight. There are a few shops around willing to help, I am just searching in and around a days drive to see if I can locate the right donor part/vehicle . Also if to expand my search if something off of a Landcruiser or equaling would work for this and the problems ill need to bring up for my shop?  

Sorry to ask the same old questions, I know this is the route I need to go to be safe so I want to know the path of least resistance. I understand it will take time/money but the specific info would be wildly helpful. Thanks for listening. 

IMG_0740 (2).JPG

Three variables that I can think of are. How far apart the spring pads are, the ujoint flange and the ebrake cable. None of there are a big deal to a proper shop. The hard part is finding the 1 ton axle and rims at the same time.

here's a couple of places that might have one. make sure you ask if they have the wheels. You need those too

Joe's Auto Parts USA-VA(Carrollton) Request_Quote 1-757-238-2240 / 1-800-238-4992 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
3.0L,AT     N0603 $Call American Auto Salvage USA-VA(Woodbridge) Request_Quote 703-494-7184 / 540-825-2571 Request_Insurance_Quote

Hey Linda, 

In a previous post I had seen people talking about axel ratios to make sure it lines up correctly for the body. Are there problems I would run into or specific questions I should ask the salvage yard. I tried to find the info from my truck but sadly it looks like someone painted over the plate in the engine housing. 

IMG_0886.jpg.e00258e842c43e21173f6ed31ff00f40.jpgIMG_0887.jpg.1b63653d74d11c9cb6f5eacc36938ccf.jpgIMG_0888.jpg.8707c3755b27eddee05ca4a8d6c3e73c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

I am still having trouble locating the correct fit. Is there other dually options (find one from a dodge/ford) I realize that probably would make it a 8 lug. Still trying to figure out what other problems I will run into. Or what other options others have done when still trying to find the dually.

I have read you can go to a single wheel but I feel like that would cause this top heavy guy to be a bit unstable. Thoughts?

Call me crazy but I already have the proper toyota one ton axle but may be swapping it out for a chevy 14 bolt or dana 70 rear axle. Want to have more wheel/tire options, better supply of parts and better brakes, plus planning a 4wd conversion (with a dana 60 in the front). If you are interested in doing a non traditional rear axle swap, I can start passing along information as I find it. I will probably be doing this swap in a few months. I will be sure to start a new thread detailing this swap. 

If you want to stick with the toyota axle, my axle and 4 wheels (plus spare) will be available in a few months. It would be coming off a 1979 sunrader with the same generation truck as yours so should be close to a drop in swap.

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Fred put a GM axle in his 78. He had the details here somewhere. Somebody got a link?

Linda S

Hi Linda,

It was sometime in 2015. Derek can probably find it. He’s good with that stuff.🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 11:11 PM, gmg said:

Call me crazy but I already have the proper toyota one ton axle but may be swapping it out for a chevy 14 bolt or dana 70 rear axle. Want to have more wheel/tire options, better supply of parts and better brakes, plus planning a 4wd conversion (with a dana 60 in the front). If you are interested in doing a non traditional rear axle swap, I can start passing along information as I find it. I will probably be doing this swap in a few months. I will be sure to start a new thread detailing this swap. 

If you want to stick with the toyota axle, my axle and 4 wheels (plus spare) will be available in a few months. It would be coming off a 1979 sunrader with the same generation truck as yours so should be close to a drop in swap.

Definitely interested in info as that sounds really interesting and definitely looking for something different. Also always like closer to drop in swap. 

Plus still struggling to find that right axle to swap out!  Also freds conversion was solid info also 

Here is a conversion kit to make a non floater into a full floater, these start at year 1979 so that's a problem but you might give them a call and see what they say. You could allways put in a later year axle with the full floater kit. Did I mention Disc Brakes?  https://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/full-floater-conversion/

• 1 month later...

On 12/9/2018 at 11:11 PM, gmg said:

Hey Greg, Any word on how this has been going? I started looking into finding the correct geared Dana 60 full float. The junk yards around VA are giving me the run around not super helpful. Just wondered your luck 

19 hours ago, ikm1520 said:

Hey Greg, Any word on how this has been going? I started looking into finding the correct geared Dana 60 full float. The junk yards around VA are giving me the run around not super helpful. Just wondered your luck 

Not Greg, its Gabe fyi haha. I have not started seriously looking yet. Weather is pretty crummy where I am, so no swap in the near future. I think you may have more success with a gm 14 bolt as they seem to be more common. Here is some good information on 14 bolts and the dimensions. https://www.roundforge.com/articles/14-bolt-axles-differences-between-srw-drw-and-cc/

I would just be sure to look for a dually purely for the stability. Also look for dana 70 axles as these typically have disk brakes which may be nice to have.

20 hours ago, ikm1520 said:

In case you might still be interested in a Toyota axle these places  have some showing up on car-part.com

Premier Auto Recyclers USA-VA(Warsaw) Request_Quote 804-394-2000 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
IN TRK       $1000 Joe's Auto Parts USA-VA(Carrollton) Request_Quote 1-757-238-2240 / 1-800-238-4992 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
3.0L,AT     N0603 $Call American Auto Salvage USA-VA(Woodbridge) Request_Quote 703-494-7184 / 540-825-2571 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
1955_8997_10_thumb.jpg3.0L,CATO,RWD 100,001 A QF6914 $750 P & D Automotive USA-NC(Pelham) Request_Quote 1-800-292-3428 Request_Insurance_Quote

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2019 at 10:39 AM, ikm1520 said:

Linda you are a real saint. Anything helps right now. hahah finding an axle is a real hang up.

Hey there, any luck or updates? 

best,

Neil

On 2/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, linda s said:

In case you might still be interested in a Toyota axle these places  have some showing up on car-part.com

Premier Auto Recyclers USA-VA(Warsaw) Request_Quote 804-394-2000 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
IN TRK       $1000 Joe's Auto Parts USA-VA(Carrollton) Request_Quote 1-757-238-2240 / 1-800-238-4992 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
1955_8997_10_thumb.jpg3.0L,CATO,RWD 100,001 A QF6914 $750 P & D Automotive USA-NC(Pelham) Request_Quote 1-800-292-3428 Request_Insurance_Quote

Hey Linda, what do you search for when you're looking on car-part etc for a replacement rear axle? Let's say it's going on a 21ft - I think you'll need 1) full float 2) 4.10 gear ratio is ideal 3) length of axle - and from what I've gathered, where the springs rest can be modified at a good shop. What's another ideal? full assembly? Might as well find a good replacement for the driveshaft as well?
I'm hoping to purchase a 21ft '84 Sunrader this weekend and might try to source a rear axle on my drive back home!

Cheers to all this CA sunshine,

-Neil

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 2:13 AM, TigersRreal said:

Hey there, any luck or updates? 

best,

Neil

I am still searching. Mostly been trying to not go toyota. As to keep a more robust search for parts in the future if anything breaks. But also been traveling alot for work so had to put the search on hold. Trying to research the 14 bolt as alot of the junk yards round me are not the most helpful.

• 7 months later...

Any news on what the end result of this swap was? I am picking up a ff 1-ton axle tomorrow and looking to swap out my 5-lug on my 78 Sunrader. Am I correct that the 3 mods to the new axle will be the spring perches, e brake cable, and u joint? 

Im having a hard time locating the best post for this swap being my rig is the older GO82 axle currently. 

Maybe someone can post a link? Linda?

Edited by Sunny78

Well I couldn't find a detailed step by step description but I did find something you need to know. You have a different spline count and the pinion won't fit to your driveshaft. The fix involves keeping your old differential and swapping it into the new axle. See here

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5349-1987-ff-dually-rear-into-a-1978-toyota-chinook/&tab=comments#comment-36219

Also new u bolts and shock mounts are required

Linda S

Thanks for that Linda. That is something I definitely hadn’t read anywhere til now. Makes It all more difficult for sure.

It seems like something like a Dana 44 or a Chevy 14 bolt rear might be more fitting for my set up as I am planning on doing a 4x4 swap at some point.

Has anyone done a similar swap to 4x4 on any 1978 Toyhomes? I’m thinking the lower weight on my rig would do just fine with single wheels in the rear, just a matter of finding the best combination front and rear. Not planning on doing any rock crawling, just would be nice to be able to get through chain controls and such.

Toyota in 1978 produced a limited number of 4WD trucks known as a “wolverine”. I believe they used Jeep drivetrain components for the front axle and transfer case. These trucks are pretty much extinct. Google for more info.

As far as rear axle goes, I installed a 14 bolt, 10.5 ring gear on my 1978 chassis. There’s a build thread in the archives, not sure how to locate it. Depending on your mechanical abilities you’re looking at $3-4K for the swap.  Fred

Damn I looked those up and they are sweet! Anyone find any literature on those Wolverine trucks? The Jeep drivetrain is more what I’m leaning towards if I end up going 4x4. Dana 44s are cheapish and easy to find.

Also not entirely sure if 4x4 is the right route for me yet... I just picked up an ‘89 odyssey with a 1ton ff axle. After reading about the differential swap that needs to be done from my axle into the new one it’s growing a bit over my head.

Is there anyone that does these full float swaps in the Northern California or Nevada area these days? I could trade the rest of the coach for the work. The appliances and all systems are there and working great. Motor needs some cooling system love and the shell has a bunch of water damage per usual. I really just want the axle and wheels.

E82F431B-91E4-4A6E-9D9C-2887677BE1E1.png

823FFFCC-E9FC-4552-B4AA-AE6675010A39.png

I think you can make the swap without changing the carrier r&p. They make adapters to mate your current driveshaft to the newer ff axle. Worst case, you have a new rear driveshaft fabricated to match up with the ff Toyota axle. Cost is about $300.00 for new driveshaft. Other than that, relocate your spring perches and you should be good to go.

P.S. My axle thread is posted earlier on this thread.

Edited by fred heath

An adapter would be the easiest route for the change. Talk to these guys and see what they say.

http://www.drivelineandgear.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=27

They are not that far from you but juggling 2 motorhomes around kind of makes it harder than just getting an axle. What do you do with the motorhome that now has no wheels

Linda S

• 3 years later...

I don't know of any 1 ton axles near you and the cost to put one in might be more than you paid for the whole rig. How big is your rig. I know they did make some little ones. If so you can go to a single wheel in the back. The dually is the problem not the axle. You need to get your rig weighed, front and back so you know the rear weight by itself. Search public scale in your area

Linda S