TruckFridge?

Scarlett O'Hara

Thanks all for feedback re Rear Kitchens.

But I am back to holding out for a rear dinette.  Won't accept anything else.

I really dig the 84 Dolphins with RD. Especially appreciate the ample kitchen counter space.

And so easy to imagine using the RD for lounging, reading books/maps & even sewing.

I've got my eye on a nice one, ten hours drive away---possibly a one owner Dolphin.  No solar,

& fridge is dead---which I consider a boon, since I'd prefer a TruckFridge. That way I can convert

old fridge space to pantry & hope to find available space for TruckFridge elsewhere.

Has anyone done this swap?  Any suggestions on location for TruckFridge in an old Dolphin?

Thanks

Scarlett

If you would be willing to consider an Oddessy Americana with a rear dinette there is (was?) one in Bath New Hampshire, I saw it about a month ago, some window leaks but otherwise in wonderful shape, low mileage and taken great care of, it was in the classifieds on this site.  Maybe this would compare with a a Dolphin?

Truckfridge? What do you mean by this. There is a website called Truckfridge but the refrigerators take up almost the same space as a Dolphin one. I had a friend who bought one from them and he picked one that was exactly the same size as his Dometic. How many rigs have you inspected yet or have you just looked at them online. There isn't a lot of room in any of them to start moving stuff around. They all already have some kind of closet and drawers for storage. Food is more important to me than extra stuff.

Linda S

11 hours ago, linda s said:

Truckfridge? What do you mean by this. There is a website called Truckfridge but the refrigerators take up almost the same space as a Dolphin one. I had a friend who bought one from them and he picked one that was exactly the same size as his Dometic. How many rigs have you inspected yet or have you just looked at them online. There isn't a lot of room in any of them to start moving stuff around. They all already have some kind of closet and drawers for storage. Food is more important to me than extra stuff.

Linda S

Hi Linda,

What do I mean by that?  Well, as I have no idea yet of the size of a TruckFridge, I thought perhaps, depending

on the layout of any rig I might end up with, that it might work out to keep the dead Dometic as a pantry. Not

written in stone, just an idea.  (It was you who offered the suggestion of a TruckFridge as a replacement for a

Dometic in a reply to me a year ago.)

I agree with you that food storage beats 'stuff' storage!  And yes, since we last communicated, I have looked at

a few Toys in person.  I know of  your fondness for Sunraders, but one in excellent/good condition is out of my

price range. Anyway, I really do like the Dolphins with RD & all that lovely kitchen counter space. 

(It's been a real slog this past year, dismantling my little farm, but the end is in sight. Lots to do still, tho!)

Thanks & hope all's well with you.  For what would this forum do *without* you?

Scarlett

Unless you have an overwhelming reason to go to a 12v refer, remember that propane has a higher energy density than a battery by cubic space.

If you have a real need for a 12v refer, you should renumber to also look at marine refers. The important thing to look for is peak amps, if average amps is available does the reading say at what temp... Apples and apples n all that.

3 hours ago, WME said:

Unless you have an overwhelming reason to go to a 12v refer, remember that propane has a higher energy density than a battery by cubic space.

If you have a real need for a 12v refer, you should renumber to also look at marine refers. The important thing to look for is peak amps, if average amps is available does the reading say at what temp... Apples and apples n all that.

Hello again WME,

I seem to remember a year ago having a discussion with you re the usefulness of West Marine. Thanks for

reminding me to check for a fridge there when the time comes.  Getting ready to list/sell a small farm after

decades is not a project for wimps!  In the little down time I have, watching CL for prospects is the most

relaxing thing to do. But if/when I see something that looks like what I am after, and if it isn't more than a

good long days' drive away, I get right on it. Meanwhile, I might as well bone up on likely Toy issues.

So yes, it's likely West Marine will get some more of my dough-re-me!

22 hours ago, rvplease said:

If you would be willing to consider an Oddessy Americana with a rear dinette there is (was?) one in Bath New Hampshire, I saw it about a month ago, some window leaks but otherwise in wonderful shape, low mileage and taken great care of, it was in the classifieds on this site.  Maybe this would compare with a a Dolphin?

Hi and thanks---

Yes, I'd consider any Toy with a RD if I liked everything else about it. It's just that here in the greater SF Bay Area  there seem

to be a preponderance of Dolphins. And I like them, like those with the wrought iron on counter ends. Thanks for you tip,

but fortunately, being in CA, I'd never have to travel far to find a Toy!