Speedometer/ odometer fix

3inan84

Hey,

I have a 1983 Sunrader with a non-working speedo and odometer. the odo says 37,xxx but who knows when it stopped working...

Any info/ advice on how to go about fixing it? Mostly I'd like to get the odometer working so I can get a better idea of my MPG and my fuel gauge is not that accurate so that way I'll be able to plan my trips better... leaving the Bay area today towards Costa Rica...

Many Thanks,

Itamar

Pull the dash apart and get to the rear of the gauge cluster.  You’re speedo cable is either broken internally and needs placement or it came off of where it goes into the cluster or the transmission.  

Thanks Anthony, The thing is someone started fixing it and pulled the cable out, then closed shop, stopped answering phone calls and kept the cable. How do I get a replacement/ know which cable to get? and any diagrams on where it should go? cause as of now I got nothing to follow...

That’s a bummer!  I’ve never had a Toyota that old but I’m sure someone on here will know of a part number if google doesn’t give it to you.  The same goes for the routing.  It’s usually out the back of the cluster and through the firewall of the truck and wraps down under and screws onto the side or top of transmission.  

This is the part number but it's is discontinued by Toyota.

Toyota Part No.: 83710-89138

You were in the bay area. Tons of Toyota parts available in the area and even more in Sacramento. Just keep trying along the way. 

Oh and I guessed that you had a 4 speed manual trannie. If not I need to get a different part number for you

Linda S

On 10/16/2018 at 11:34 AM, 3inan84 said:

Hey,

I have a 1983 Sunrader with a non-working speedo and odometer. the odo says 37,xxx but who knows when it stopped working...

Any info/ advice on how to go about fixing it? Mostly I'd like to get the odometer working so I can get a better idea of my MPG and my fuel gauge is not that accurate so that way I'll be able to plan my trips better... leaving the Bay area today towards Costa Rica...

Many Thanks,

Itamar

If you have an old Garmin or similar GPS unit you can accurately check your speed and use the resettable trip odometer to keep track of mileage. On the garmin if you touch the speed bubble in the lower right corner it turns the entire unit into a digital speedometer. I don’t even look at my dash speedo anymore. 

Thanks Fred,

I don't have a GPS but I found an app that does the same on my phone. I don't know how accurate it is and I should get a mount so it's sitting in a good place and I don't look down at it. At least until I get the speedo fixed.

1 hour ago, 3inan84 said:

Thanks Fred,

I don't have a GPS but I found an app that does the same on my phone. I don't know how accurate it is and I should get a mount so it's sitting in a good place and I don't look down at it. At least until I get the speedo fixed.

I found it to be very accurate. It uses satellite to document your movement, much more accurate than your factory setup. 

28 minutes ago, fred heath said:

I found it to be very accurate. It uses satellite to document your movement, much more accurate than your factory setup. 

Yup, the only time it lags is when velocity is changing (accelerating/ decelerating).  For best accuracy get to a solid cruising speed and try to stay at that exact speed during testing.