Toyota class C review by builder

rvplease

Although it looks like the Sunrader may the best builder of Toyota class Cs around, they do seem to be scarce, and I'd love to know what the the other builders offer, for overall quality and whatever their best (and worst) features are, to see if there is really any other Toyota which is nearly as good.   Does anyone know if there is some information like this  somewhere?  Thanks-

I think winiabago used metal studs  .  the sunrader used a molded fiberglass body farless leak and rot trouble . most all the other makes used fiberglass sheet or metal sides . my dolphin is glass on sides and back and metal roof and top front of cab over .lot of wood in the walls . I live in a very dry climate  so my 87 dolphin is still in reasonable ly decent shape . all of those  using sheet construction can have a lot of rot after 30 years or so . forgot to say most used wood studding.

Edited by 5Toyota
add

Dolphin as late as 84 had gloss painted aluminum skin, and an aluminum roof.  A little later, Dolphin had a fiberglass skin of some sort.  I don't know if Dolphin ever went to rubber EDPM roofing.  Yes, the Dolphin is wood studding and roof joists.  Yes they rot if water is introduced.

The sticks and staples with aluminum skin can be ok.  Can be repaired up to a point.

I had a Nova Star know nothing I bought it quite by accident the only leak I ever had was the AC seal not too bad after 20+ years before I sealed it. Two piece clam shell fiberglass exterior. The framework was aluminium the floors were insulated with some sort of aluminum backed insulation 9 leaf rear spring pack, first class rig but yeah hard to find. Linda would know but I think they were only made in "87".

Nova Star's were made from 1986 to 1989. I heard years ago there was at least one made with a V6 engine but I have never seen it. Most 89's were built on 88 chassis and there aren't many of them either. Company went out of business in 89. You will see some rigs that look exactly like a Nova Star that are older. They were made by General RV which made the Odyssey. They were called Sprint. 1983 to 1985. They must have sold the molds to New Horizon which is Nova Star

Linda S

6 hours ago, linda s said:

Nova Star's were made from 1986 to 1989. I heard years ago there was at least one made with a V6 engine but I have never seen it. Most 89's were built on 88 chassis and there aren't many of them either. Company went out of business in 89. You will see some rigs that look exactly like a Nova Star that are older. They were made by General RV which made the Odyssey. They were called Sprint. 1983 to 1985. They must have sold the molds to New Horizon which is Nova Star

Linda S

Were they all fiberglass or only the 87? I have seen aluminum sided ones. I have actually seen pictures of a Nova Star fiberglass body on a Jeep Cherokee frame I believe it was factory there were some subtle differences but nothing major. 

The non fiberglass ones were just called New Horizons. All Nova Star's are fiberglass. Yeah I remember that Jeep. Thanks for reminding me. There were 2. One in Nevada and the other in Portland. I think they were factory too. Maybe prototypes that never went into production or custom orders. Wonder where they are now. 

Linda S

Escapers had aluminum frames with corrugated fiberglass skins and aluminum roof

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I can only go by what's in the 1985(?) brochure. Some Excapers had aluminum frames. The ones with Aluminium exteriors. No comment (from me) on earlier or later years.

Well my 86 had aluminum framing and fiberglass siding.

My '88 had aluminum frame, fiberglass sides, and aluminum roof.  

This is exactly what I was hoping for, it will help narrow down the list (although it seems that after almost 30 years any toyota without past or current leak problems is hard to find at this).    It is really interesting that there are so many variations in how these are built-  

9 hours ago, linda s said:

Wow look what I found. One of the Sprint's that I mentioned. Still looks like it has old axle so price is too high

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/d/toyota-sprint-8500-obo/6721995612.html 

Linda S

That's pretty awesome!  Looks to be in pretty rough shape for the price