2018 trip

WME

Well this years trip wasn't a places trip, but a people trip to see many old friends and even family. 19 days, 3350 mi, 7.5 mpg. This was in our new to us 30ft Winnebago Brave with a Buick Encore as a towd. Because of time constraints (winters coming!) a lot of boring Interstate travel.

You wouldn't believe how long and boring I80 is going across NV at 65 mph?. The trip was from WY, across Ut, half way across stopped at WalMart in Elko NV for the night. Then across the rest of the way NV to the Bay area for a 3 day stay. A blue line trip up the coast on 101 to Eureka CA and the WalMart camping center. Next day though the Coastal Redwoods, boy the road sure gets narrow when it goes between a couple of big trees. 2 days in Brookings OR, "Eat at Mo's" for sure best Clam Chowder and Fish and Chips. 

From Brookings to Eugene OR for a few days. Eugene is just a few miles from Guaranty RV Super Center. Their part center is in the Camping World class, but wow the RV sales side is a mind blower. Got a recent winning Lotto ticket? they have just the RV you NEED.

After Eugene on to Chehalis WA for 4 days. Then Tacoma WA, 2 days at the FT Lewis fam camp. $20 a nite for a lake side, full service pull through. Next was Bozeman MT WalMart . The plan was to go through Yellowstone then home. OOPS 2" snow during the nite. Bozeman is around 6000ft and the passes in Yellowstone are over 10,000ft. so nope no go. Went home through Billings.

Thoughts about stuff.

RV friendly Walmarts are becoming scarce especially in CA. The urban ones are becoming magnets for the Homeless and the stores are stopping overnight stays for anyone. Some have signs, some not. Ask at customer service or security patrol to avoid the midnight knock. And BUY SOMETHING.

Your navigator needs to be navigating not playing Angry Birds ? Give a proper brief about the days route and get a real map for him/her. GPS is good for turn instructions, but sometimes you need know where am I???

Totals... 3 days KOA in Santa Cruz CA, special off season rate $70 a night?. 2 days at the Ft Lewis Fam Camp a much friendlier $20 a night. 5 nights Walmart/Cabelas/Truck stops.  The rest in friends driveways. We have full solar, so this time of the year we didn't even have to "borrow" some power for the AC.

GasBuddy.com is your new BFF. An extra 10 miles could save you $.15 a gallon or more. Important with a 17 gallon tank, really important with a 70 gallon tank. Plan accordingly...p.s. Navigator type job...

Edited by WME

Unwritten rule no matter how much you pay for gas it will be cheaper at the next exit.

I asked my friend Jack when he was going for gas,  he said the next day and asked why I wanted to know.  I told him I would wait till the day after as it would be cheaper ?  144 gallon tank, so 10 ¢  made a difference.