Toyota chinook 76 vin number ?

Stefan.jomphe

Good day to all the group,

I just bought my first Chinook 76 and they mention on the original manual of the truck that the VIN number is located on the plate inside of the driver side fender inside the engine compartment... 

The thing is that I cannot find the matching numbers that I have on the registration of the previous owner... The VIN provided has 13 numbers and no letters at all... did I get myself in a weird situation??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Your 76 predates standard 17 digit vin numbers. 13 numbers sounds about right for Toyota that year. The numbers on the driers side plate are probably the full Toyota frame number and they describe more about your actual model than a vin alone would. Your good. 

Linda S

Thanks for the infos Linda,

im about to go to the dmv in order to plate it and i guess I will just have to wait and see what they tell me... it was plated when I purchased it.. it’s just weird that I cannot seem to find those didgits on the truck...  

was wondering if anyone knew if they put the vin at a specific location that I missed...

have a great day ?

4 hours ago, Stefan.jomphe said:

Thanks for the infos Linda,

im about to go to the dmv in order to plate it and i guess I will just have to wait and see what they tell me... it was plated when I purchased it.. it’s just weird that I cannot seem to find those didgits on the truck...  

was wondering if anyone knew if they put the vin at a specific location that I missed...

have a great day ?

The ID plate on the inside drivers fender gives you the chassis ID number. It should start with the letters “RN” followed a series of numbers. Remember, motorhomes mfg bought the cab and chassis then put their coach bodies onto it. Many times they assigned their own VIN to the finished product. If you cannot find the mfg supplied VIN and it becomes an issue, see if you can get the seller to issue you a bill of sale showing the chassis #. Good luck. 

Read this thread.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5799-frame-vin-plate-for-toyota-truck-chassis/

Your not the only one whose confused. It's just that we all expect every vehicle to have standard stuff. In California if a vehicle doesn't have a clear vin the motor vehicle department has to inspect the vehicle and then assigns a vin to it. 

Linda S

This is a sample of what your ID plate should look like. You should find the same chassis # stamped on the drivers side frame rail adjacent to the lower control arm. As long as these two numbers match, you should be good to go. 

E5EFBF50-624A-49DB-BDA5-F5492931DFDF.jpeg

29E8FCA4-21CB-47C3-9D0C-075AE45870D5.jpeg

Thanks for the imput,

I have this exact plate in the side wall ( driver side) and I will go tomorrow look for the chassis number to see if they match...

The only thing that I don’t get is that there is a serie of 13 digits ( only numbers and no letters) on the registration that the  previous owner gave me. He also provided an official document needed for the transfert with the same 13 number vin. Nothing referring to the numbers found on that side wall plate...

Again, thanks for the feedback !

Like I said before, the one on the truck is the Toyota frame number, not a vin. The one on the registration is probably an assigned vin from where it was registered. Motor Vehicle Departments seem to need numbers to make them happy.

I used to own a Canadian made camper van that had a different vin on the coach than the truck. I had to have it inspected to register but they OK'd it no problem

Linda S

Good evening to all,

I just wanted to let you know that’s i have finally passed the mechanical inspection without any issues and they didn’t make so much fuss concerning the vin number... they search for a while but they finally took the one referred from the previous owner.

I can now concentrate my efforts on restoring this old lady ?

AC3BD3CE-0533-4557-87A0-E6B990150EA2.jpeg