Alternate RV AC schemes

WME

To Keep from overloading posts about generators and AC. Ill start a dreamer thread.

Mini Splits, APUs, engine driven compressors and of course the perennial favorite Solar powered AC. 

Good thinking.  Back to the topic!  

Oldgriz, what type of electric start gas engine would you be using to power the compressor?  Do you think the efficiency difference would really be enough to utilize your system in comparison to just running a generator?  I know you pay your tax in power loss going from fuel to gen motor to electric but generators are pretty efficient to begin with.

You'll be designing a complete system from scratch and have to figure out how to run your condenser fan and and everything as well as your electric fan inside the rig which I assume will be running off of 12v for the blower?  

Definitely doesnt make sense to tie into vehicles engine as idling the vehicle for the AC to be running is not good for the engine and efficiency is no where near the efficiency of the smaller gen motors no?  

The big energy hog is the compressor if your on shore power it's no problem but going down the road or boon docking what to do? Generator ,heavy batteries and solar system?  The average  modern auto AC compressor uses 6 to 8 hp  from the cars engine. Was looking at eight horse power electric start. All components are off the shelf. if I can't find a truck or auto compressor then I will look at some commercial open drive compressors that are belt driven I have friends in the refrigerated truck repair business. But they are bigger units.

Tapping into the truck AC pump would be used when going down the road only and was quickly dismissed because of idling issue .will probably just use the existing blower motor as it doesn't draw a lot of amps.

Also the electric start engine will cycle on and off once rv reaches set point temperature witch will help with the efficiency factor.

Other ideas, also have an alternator for charging and an onboard welder. Running it on propane.