Onboard generators, how do they work?

toyotavan

Hi all, as total newbies to RVs in general (sorry) I wanted to learn how these onboard Onans work. We're still looking for a deal on a Toy MH and, assuming we find one that has one of those cute little Onans... how do you start up & control these guys?

Is it elec start?

Can you fire it up while rolling down the road?

Does it get fuel from the main gas tank?

I was thinking this may be very cool when the power goes out at the house after a storm. We have a emg. generator but it's a hassle to gas up every few hours.

We're drooling for a cool MH, but the restraints are holding (still low$$$!)

Best to all, toyotavan

I can't speak for all Toys but here is how my Dolphin works;

The generator control is mounted on a panel at the end of the sofa, where the kitchen cabinet begins. It is electric start, you push a start button, and when you get ready to turn it off, you push a stop button. There is an hour meter located on that same panel to show how many hours the generator has been run. There is no automatic switchover system, so to power up your motor home you must have the shore cord (so called) electrical hookup plugged into a receptical located in the compartment where the power cord is stored.

The fuel comes from the same tank the engine runs from.

You can run the generator going down the road, and run the overhead air to cool the motor home if you need to.

Good luck finding a Toy, I have one for sale listed on the classified section of this web site.

John A

An Auto Transfer Switch is less than 100$. Then you don't have to go out in the rain to plug into the Genset.