1980 Dolphin Water Damage

Rachel

Hi!

Brand new here. I looked briefly but I didn't easily find a place on water damage and repair, so if there is already a better place for this topic, please redirect me. 

I just bought a 1980 dolphin and I already love it!
I bought it sight unseen from a friend. She said her ex had cut a fuel line and she had it towed out to her parent's house where it sat for three years. Upon inspection, it had a cracked old fuel line, but no sabotage. After putting a hose and a couple menders in it (with plans of further repair later), and completing a tune up it runs like a dream! I couldn't believe it! I'm sure this is an old hat to all you lucky toyota owners, but man, I'm impressed.

Anyway, the water damage is quite extensive in the ceiling and walls. I can see damage up front in the cab over section. and on a couple wall panels. Also in the back near the light fixtures when I pulled up the bench seats.

I was wondering what the most common material for waterproofing the ceiling might be. Is it standard to just pull off the aluminum, replace the plywood, and reseal with some sort of caulk? Would love any advice!

Thanks!
Rachel

Welcome to the forum Rachel. Water damage is a big issue with these often neglected rigs. One thing to consider is that, once there is a breach in the exterior, it’s a lot easier for water to get in to the walls and ceiling than it is for it to evaporate out. Wood and foam soak up the moisture like a sponge and both the outside walls and the inside vapor barriers hinder the escape of water vapor.

Soooo...there is the extensive tear down, locate rotten and water logged materials, replace and reinforce with better quality materials method. A big job.

Or, a short term fix is to clean up the out side really good, remove any silicone or other faulty patching from the roof, etc. caulk around vents, marker lights,etc. anywhere a hole has been made in the roof. and coat the roof with a white, elastomeric paint. But, sooner or later, that moisture trapped in the walls will be a problem.