I hope this hasn't been covered already, if so I apologize...Trying to narrow down the value of add-ons, in looking for a Sunrader I'm not finding any with generators.  Did any get built with a generator?   If so, what is a figure I should use for the value of a generator on a Sunrader?  Is a generator really worth it (used a lot), if so can I get a portable that's worthwhile or should I try to get one built into the RV?  Thanks!

I do believe select models came with generators.  A value of a Sunrader with a factory gen compared to one without I am unsure, I guess it depends how badly a buyer wants it.  As far as I've seen, a rig with factory gen always seems more desired.  If you are running a solar bank with batteries, the only time you should need a generator is if you want to run the coach AC, or need to charge the 12v coach battery when boon docking.  Most other systems except maybe microwave are fine without the generator (assuming no refrigerator or refrigerator is running off of LP).  

As far as portable generators go, the Honda 2000/2200 seems pretty widely used and well liked for RV applications.  It may have trouble running an ac unit depending on setup.  You always lose convenience of being able to fuel off of vehicle gas tank as well as no auto start with most portables though.  Also need to consider it easily being walked away with at a campsite if someone wants it badly enough.  

Edited by Odyssey 4x4

Yes generators were an option. My 86 has a Kohler. Not made in many years. Most parts unavailable and so loud I never use it. I wouldn't recommend paying extra for a motorhome with one. The only built in generator currently available for a motorhome is the Onan. I do know some people who have fit them into a Sunrader generator box. Possible that a few of the later 90's Sunraders came with them but I'm not sure. Gen sets were always an option and an expensive one. Onan Microlites can sometimes be found on craigslist for a reasonable price. 

Linda S

My Nova Star had an Onan I used it a few times it was less than quiet but much quieter than the Kohler and all ways started but I can say if it had none I would not install one or turn down a deal on one that didn't.

Thanks for the info., it doesn't sound like it's a deal breaker, and I'd rather spend the generator money on a nice dry roof (and windows).  It's too bad the battery won't run the microwave, wonder if I remember how to use the stove-

A good battery with a decent inverter would be able to run a low power microwave without issue 

You'll need a 2000 watt inverter a good sine wave one and some hefty cables. Check the amp hour rating of the battery it can be misleading because it is usable rating meaning down to 10.5 volts. At that voltage the inverter will have stop working with a low voltage cut off. Can it run a microwave for 10 minutes? Probably but it will need a recharge. A 20# propane tank will hold far more energy than 10 deep cycle batteries!

Whatever you decide, I hope you will keep in mind that whenever you run a generator, you are disturbing the peace and quiet of other campers around you. Even the most quiet of generators are very intrusive to people who are there to listen to nature, not to some droning machine. We have had to leave more than one campsite because of inconsiderate people who think their "whisper quiet" generator can't be heard 50 feet away. Nonsense. 

The only item that NEEDS a generator is the A/C, if you boondock in hot places a lot then you need one. If you camp in moderate temps then a Fantastic Fan will cover most cooling needs.

If your idea of camping is KOA then you won't need one.

Microwave is possible other item, buts that been covered.

2 hours ago, WME said:

The only item that NEEDS a generator is the A/C, if you boondock in hot places a lot then you need one. If you camp in moderate temps then a Fantastic Fan will cover most cooling needs.

If your idea of camping is KOA then you won't need one.

Microwave is possible other item, buts that been covered.

I agree the fantastic fan moves a lot of air even on low the trick is to close windows except where your sleeping. This is from a guy that hates hot weather! I can deal with -20 but not 80+

Thanks everyone, based on all your information I'm pretty well convinced to pass on getting a generator if one doesn't come with the RV I find, I have no desire to drive people away from quiet enjoyment of the outdoors.  Silly question, is there any way to run an AC unit on anything but electricity?  Why hasn't anyone built a small fuel cell for an RV?  Slightly off topic, I once saw a generator the size of a softball, called the Tiny Tiger, I think it developed about 100 watts,  and even with it's muffler working it was so loud you could hear it a mile away...

Swamp cooler for NV.

There is a toy guy who did a solar set up...5000btu window AC, 5 100w solar panels, 2 T-105 batteries, 3,000w inverter. Work OK in day time, but not at night

They do make 24v dc AC units for 18 wheel trucks, they require over 400lbs of batteries for  a 10 hr over night stop sleeper cap AC and power requirements. Funny thing is many states have prohibited diesel trucks from idling their engines to furnish AC for the sleeper cab. The answer many truckers have gone to is a small diesel APU to power the AC for the sleeper and its power needs.

APU=auxiliary power unit, AKA generator set

I agree with jm! Generators are Loud and very intrusive. Even my Honda 2000i is loud when running my roof AC! So whatever genny you buy just remember it will most likely run on full load while running your  AC and will be Loud! 

Got to have one for long drives in the summer, far as I'm concerned; cab is fine with dash AC, but coach gets way too hot for passengers (2-and-4-legged). 

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

I agree with jm! Generators are Loud and very intrusive. Even my Honda 2000i is loud when running my roof AC! So whatever genny you buy just remember it will most likely run on full load while running your  AC and will be Loud! 

I have a really cheap open frame generator it says 2000 watts but I'm guessing that's wishful thinking any way we were running two for a ham radio event my cheapy and a Honda 2000 both pretty well cranked the chepo was actually slightly quieter than the Honda full load.but with a light load the Honda was much quieter because it did not need the speed to make 60 cycles. You pay dear for the quiet.

9 hours ago, WME said:

Swamp cooler for NV.

There is a toy guy who did a solar set up...5000btu window AC, 5 100w solar panels, 2 T-105 batteries, 3,000w inverter. Work OK in day time, but not at night

They do make 24v dc AC units for 18 wheel trucks, they require over 400lbs of batteries for  a 10 hr over night stop sleeper cap AC and power requirements. Funny thing is many states have prohibited diesel trucks from idling their engines to furnish AC for the sleeper cab. The answer many truckers have gone to is a small diesel APU to power the AC for the sleeper and its power needs.

APU=auxiliary power unit, AKA generator set

Yeah a nice one from a 737!

The newest truck APU sleeper ACs are actually a diesel powered mini split. The APU engine drives the AC compressor directly from one end of the crank and a 12v alternator from the other.

Fuel burn is in the 1/3 gallon per hour for 28 K btu cooling

1 hour ago, WME said:

The newest truck APU sleeper ACs are actually a diesel powered mini split. The APU engine drives the AC compressor directly from one end of the crank and a 12v alternator from the other.

Fuel burn is in the 1/3 gallon per hour for 28 K btu cooling

Yeah but aren’t these things near the cost of our entire rigs?

Well if your driving a $150K truck tractor unit with a $30K sleeper,  whats another $8K to ensure your comfort?

Actually locomotives used to run their engines up here in the frozen north parked in the winter because they used no antifreeze it was a constant problem where I worked because they would leave the engines running parked sometimes for 24 hours or more. Our air handlers pulled in fresh air? So after a while some bright individual figured they could use diesel generators and electric heaters to keep the 3500 HP engines warm with a 2 cylinder engine with less than 20 KW.

1 hour ago, WME said:

Well if your driving a $150K truck tractor unit with a $30K sleeper,  whats another $8K to ensure your comfort?

Oh I fully agree, plus with the trucking idle laws changing some of them don't have a choice if they want ac!  

59 minutes ago, linda s said:

I just don't understand why there aren't propane powered absorption AC units like our refrigerators. 

Linda S

A friend bought a house in Tennessee that has a propane powered AC unit.  A quick Google shows reference to them but I see none for sale.

I would have been happy to put a 9k mini in my Toy.  But looking it over I could see no reasonable way to do it.   Be careful with some of the off brand minis as there is no parts or technical assistance for them.  The new portable minis have horrible reviews.   Also most people miss that the bulk of minis need a minimum of 10 feet of line set or they can be noisy!

I have installed 3 minis in my house so have a tiny bit of experience with them.

Here's a plan that I might try, my background is in commercial low temp refrigeration and HVAC. I have the specialized tools needed to do the work that most people won't have and to do this otherwise would maybe be cost prohibitive to have someone do. But I'm always surprised what diyers can do.

We already have a rooftop Ac unit but how to make it work when not connected to shore power ? I've read a lot of posts on running generators to power them, one of the drawbacks to this is converting energy from one form to another.

So the idea I have is to mount an electric start gas engine that drives a car AC compressor on the back bumper, a fabricated hose line set will run under the camper and come up in the corner of the closet  and on my camper will penetrate the roof close to the main AC unit then I will tie into the high and low sides of the system. There will be low voltage solenoid valves to isolate the electric compressor when the auxiliary unit is in operation and also isolate the auxiliary unit when on shore power.

There will be a control and safety circuit wired into it, so when I turn on the gas engine the solenoid valves are energized , a delay on make timer starts to count down giving the engine time to come up to speed, the timer makes and energizes the clutch on the compressor pumping refrigerant. The control circuit is wired into a thermostat witch will control the temp in the RV. now the same unit can be used on shore power or when boon docking. 

Still figuring if I'm going to use the high voltage blower motor or replace with more efficient low voltage motor also thinking of also mounting an alternator with the compressor for battery charging. 

I also thought of using this concept and tieing it into the cab system and running it off the main engine but right now I think it would kill the r-22 four banger. Maybe in the future when I re-engine it with the 302 engine I have it will be possible as I will have close to three hundred horse's to play with.

Anyway just in the planing stages at this point and I have other pressing problems to take care of with the camper. But I thought I would throw this idea out there for the group to mull over. Comments good , bad or ugly are welcome not trying to hyjack the thread just something I've been thinking about. And maybe it will help someone else.

Do you think there is enough room in the RV AC to mount an additional evaporator coil in the plenum?, maybe even in the air return side. The compressor is already outside so mounting the condenser with a 12v fan with would be easy. No solenoid valves needed, only thing left is the 110v ac vs 12v dc for the circulation fan.

Maybe should start another thread for us RV AC dreamers

I’m not sure a setup from a car would be able to cool an entire camper, they have trouble in a simple van setup from what I’ve seen.  

My dad owned and ran an AC company in Florida for 25+ years and we too possess the tools for a custom setup.  We have considered dismantling a standard “window unit” and custom doing a “split system” in the camper we are building.  

I have the newport model odyssey . It's not that big, I haven't sized the compressor in the rooftop unit yet but I think an auto AC compressor would do it and they do come in different sizes of capacity. Just need to create a big enough pressure differential . It might not be the most efficient system, but cold air is cold air. I want to use as much of the existing system as possible if I were to design a new system I would look at an inverter driven mini split with the condenser mounted on the back and the evaporator cassette  mounted in the cabinet toe kick or floor if such a thing exists.  But then were back to generators. My thought was that there is no better energy source then gasoline ( weight to energy ratio ) this way we would be converting the energy in the gas more directly to cold air.

If you have the tools and knowledge go for it!   I had to buy the proper tools to do my minis.

I have never let a lack of knowledge, experience or giggles from observers slow me down.   I find RV roof AC to be noisey and for the most part a bit too large for my liking so I attempted to convert a window air to a roof air. 

I had to throw in the towel on that project, but like many of my ideas it did not end up on the scrap pile as I was able to reassemble the AC and mount it in the bathroom window.  Not as aesthetically pleasing, but at my age I would rather be cool than look cool. 

So if you go for it post some pictures I need to giggle a little bit too.  

It’s always nice to see that there are people way smarter than I am thinking things like this through, having A/C in back is a definite must, and even if it takes almost rocket science my lovely wife will be all for it.  The 302 motor sounds interesting, that’s another whole thing for me to think about, once I find the right rv, thanks...

9 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

I've been researching into building some type of a mini split system for the Odyssey 

Pretty common in Asia.

3 hours ago, rvplease said:

It’s always nice to see that there are people way smarter than I am thinking things like this through, having A/C in back is a definite must, and even if it takes almost rocket science my lovely wife will be all for it.  The 302 motor sounds interesting, that’s another whole thing for me to think about, once I find the right rv, thanks...

A ford 302 will fit ,the rock crawling crowd has been installing them in toyota for a while they like the ford because the distributor is in front. Rv will need to be lifted though but my model was available with four wheel drive from the factory ,so may go that way we will see. An aluminum vortex v6 would work too . Four speed over drive transmission with a gear vendors overdrive splitter.

A mini split system sounds interesting, even though I'm not sure how it would work (what kind and size generators to use, how to join them etc.).  Would this like having them in parallel?  Thanks-