Huntsman 79-83 vs 87 Escaper

L1993

Trying to choose which to buy. Both are posted for $5000 Huntsman is 79 or 83 not sure of year yet. 33k miles manual trans. Has some rust on front. Carb engine. Everything works. 

Escaper is a 87 automatic 100,000 miles. Everything works. Kept under carport. Both are 22re.

Can anyone please help me decide before they're sold?? 

The Huntsman may be a 22R being the older year.  I'd go with the Escaper as many of the systems are newer  and more reliable/efficient.  

6 minutes ago, L1993 said:

Thank you! I offered them 3'800 and they said yes. :D I was worried I didn't get a good model but you guys are making me feel better about it. 

My previous Toyota was an Escaper, I loved it!  Keep us updated with pics.  

Well be prepared to pay a mechanic good money fixing and maintaining these old machines!  Or get ready to learn.  A noise in the engine is not good, especially on something you’ll likely be driving long distances.  

Edited by Odyssey 4x4

"Noise in the top of the engine ..."

Depends on the noise and who's describing it! There was a person on a FB page reporting a terrible engine noise. Many predicted all sorts of woes. When he finally took it to a mechanic, it turned out to be a loose alternator belt! Of course not everyone will get off that lightly!! :)

14 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

"Noise in the top of the engine ..."

Depends on the noise and who's describing it! There was a person on a FB page reporting a terrible engine noise. Many predicted all sorts of woes. When he finally took it to a mechanic, it turned out to be a loose alternator belt! Of course not everyone will get off that lightly!! :)

I always hope for the best but prepare for the worst!  Top of engine noise?  Could be a belt, could be a shot valve train in the head!

I'm gonna go with the little one first and see what condition it's in since they're cheaper to fix and no reports of bad mechanics lol. I don't mind learning it's the physical strength of mechanics that I don't have much of. The other stuff like sealing with caulking and painting I can do. Repairs that don't require manly strength lol. I do need a lesson in mechanics though. 

8 hours ago, L1993 said:

I'm gonna go with the little one first and see what condition it's in since they're cheaper to fix and no reports of bad mechanics lol. I don't mind learning it's the physical strength of mechanics that I don't have much of. The other stuff like sealing with caulking and painting I can do. Repairs that don't require manly strength lol. I do need a lesson in mechanics though. 

What do you mean by the "little one"?  

Anyone can learn mechanics!  If it is a serious engine or head issue though that's pretty advanced engine work for a novice.  

I have an 87 escaper. It made all kinds of noises at first.  We’ve put 30,000 miles on it and dumped a bunch of money into it!  Worth every penny!  We just took it up to 12,000ft in rocky mnt national park.