'81 Sunrader - The Quest for Cosmic Camping

shandamac

Well, Sadie sits in my yard now waiting for her spa treatment. A good cleaning on the outside, wheel wells to be primed and painted, maybe some new stripes, and a coat of wax. Oh baby! Garymac will start assessing what needs to be done under the hood, and study over the electrical and plumbing. I hope a good cleaning and oiling is all most of it needs.

As soon as I pulled it up in the yard lastnight, I hollered at Jen (my youngest), "Get your shoes on! We're going to the fabric store!!!"

The plan is while Mac works on the mechanical, I'll be in charge of cleaning, painting, sewing and the laying of new carpet. (Before the sun came up this morning, I took down the curtains....ick! Will save the snap trim to re attach to new ones.) Tonight, I'll start detaching carpet. Carpet, Carpet everywhere! .....even in the cabinets.

Anyway, won't ramble much right now, but will attach a few pics to this and put more in the gallery.

(Did you think I was joking about the orange shag and mint green crushed velvet???)

post-1592-1210699715_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1210699880_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1210699966_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1210700079_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1210700345_thumb.jpg

Edited by shandamac

I like it!

Including the mint green velvet (isn't that a celtic thing? :lips-sealed::D )

Other than the carpet and etc. you got a pretty good looking Sunrader and the best part is that you sound enthused enough to make it really nice. I like people who give their vehicles names like they are part of the family. My Sunrader is named Sonny (Hey, I'm a guy with not too much creativity). I just wish I could write him off as an exemption at tax time.

I remember those days very well, orange shag was a really big thing.

If you want to get rid of the nasty stuff on the outside, you can use a cleaning solution that Walmart sells in their automotive section, I forget the name but it comes in a purple jug at about $6.95 a gallon (not purple power). I mix it 50/50 with water and use a spray bottle. One good cleaning with this stuff and then a wax job will give you a new motorhome.

Welcome to the crowd.

Allen

congrats shanda!!!

she looks awesome already... i cant wait to see more!!!!!

show us the interior too!!!

i wanna see how you get it from A to B...

or Z!

once you start you cant stop until you are bankrupt!

i gotta get some that purple stuff motoy is talkin about... mine is GRUNGY.

also...

i really dig the "quest for cosmic camping" title...

you definitely got a STELLAR deal that was OUTTA THIS WORLD.

as long as you dont leak any fluids (or druids) I think you got a great Celtic Camper

is the dinette in the back?

those are my favorite design...

i am jealous.

Thanks for all your encouragement. I am totally stoked about fixing up my little motorhome.

This morning, I posted some "before" pics on the member's gallery. If I remember right, I think there are some of the inside. I hope you're able to see them. They may take a second or two to load properly, but most of them turned out pretty clear.....you can almost smell the dirt and dust......

I wiped a small part of the shell with weak mix of bleach water, but was concerned it might be damaging in the long run. Glad for the hint on the purple stuff. I'll pick up some tomorrow.

I don't know the rules of remodeling, if there are any. I usually just jump in somewhere and see where that goes.

So tonight, I started with priming the dark paneling (will eventually be a light tan), and ended up with tearing out the dining area seating.

It rained a storm while I painted the upper cabinets and I noticed 2 rivers of water forming and rolling down the windows, near the back, on each side of the shell, right onto the windows. I kept painting. It stopped raining and the sky cleared. I painted myself over the stove and sink then to the right side window. It was as good a time as any to pull off some of that icky orange carpet that was being used as a window sill/head rest thing. I tugged at it. As it gave, the board it was stapled to shredded behind it, and the paneling that it was attached to disintigrated into mush. The seat vinyl gave way. Ewww! !Wet foam! and hints of black mold! Well now! I new the old girl had to be hiding something, and I'd just found out what it was. Those rivers of water had run right down, through the seal, behind that icky orange carpet....(and that wasn't the first time.) Stoically, I pulled off the carpet sill, the vinyl seat, the crumbly wooden cushion bases, and most of the frame they were sitting on. I could almost sense the little motorhome sighing in relief.

The paneling under the rear window is fine. I'll cut new peices to fit below the side windows, and start measuring for a new frame and platforms for the seating area. (There was nothing to salvage of the old for a template.) Tomorrow, I'll use some sealant on all the windows and start looking for some kind of rain deflectors or gutter system for those side windows. It wouldn't hurt to have one over the door either. (Any ideas for this??)

Just wearing white primer, little Sadie is looking much better. She's seems to be feeling better too.

Wishing you a Wild and Wonderful Wednesday!

Shanda