I've been browsing posts regarding airbags. I understand the benefits for drooping rear ends. Can someone please describe how they affect ride? A prior owner installed two extra leaves on each side of my 1985 Sunrader. Drooping is not a problem, but I'm looking for a way to make the ride a little less stiff in back. Airbags? New or different shocks? Or just live with it? 

Rule 1 your not driving a Caddy, your driving a grossly overloaded TRUCK.  Thats life

That being said they make 5000lb capacity air bags for Toyota pickups. So using a set of these and reducing your spring count will give a softer ride.

Down side is that maintenance is real important, because if you pop a bag the rear will be dragging.

On some of the larger Class A MH there was a kit where you added a Panhard rod and cut the springs in half and added real high capacity airbags. This gave a much nicer ride, an again a blown bag was real bad juju. There are current LARGE Class A that are fully air suspended, but they are way more complicated than cutting the spring pack in half.

Spring theory...Multi Leaf springs are linear rate springs, without overload springs installed, like 500lbs moves the axle 1" so 1000lb moves the axle 2". Air bags are rising rate springs. 250 lbs moves the axle 1" but it takes 750lb more to move the axle 2". In this example it takes 1000lb to move the axle 2" in both cases, BUT 1" bumps are softer 

Edited by WME

I don't think I'd wanna drive our rig without the air bags. But, if you're not drooping with your existing leaf setup, you might as well start with new rear shocks and see if that gets you where you want to be. Replacement isn't particularly difficult, and new shocks are usually a lot of bang for the buck, in terms of ride improvement (IF your current shocks are old/weak/worn-out, that is). Bilstein shocks are the gold standard; KYB Gas-A-Just are cheaper and pretty good too.

Worn out bushings on the shackles and leafs also contribute to noise/harshness.

I have a 89 Dolphin and bushings are shot as squeeking drives us crazy. Im up in Eureka for 3 weeks hoping to find a shop either here or Bay area that can change them out. Perfer urethane bushings but how would you know what size unless one is pulled to measure? Anyone have tips for me? 

• 2 months later...