1984 Toyota Dolphin New Owner

hello everyone.

it is official. i am a new owner (3rd owner) of a 1984 Toyota Dolphin.

i was supposed to buy this one in Lompoc and the owner sold it to someone else 2 days prior to me picking it up after talking with the guy for almost a month knowing that he was gonna sell to me. its funny how things work. i was a little disappointed when he sold it. but i never gave up and keep looking . after a week. i found one in San Jose.

i spoke to the owner and i was on my way. the truck is really awesome. i am so happy i didnt' buy the first one. because this truck is in good shape only 84,000 miles. came with all 6 brand new tires. and it drives super smoothly. i picked it up in San Jose on Friday morning. drove it to San Francisco with no problems. Then on Saturday headed on my journey home to Los Angeles all along the coast. it was a beautiful drive.

Sorry she is dirty, as she wasn't drived much. but i will clean her up in no time.

20180907_144312.jpg

20180907_144353.jpg

20180907_212754.jpg

20180909_091544.jpg

20180909_120824.jpg

Edited by tone

1 hour ago, tone said:

hello everyone.

it is official. i am a new owner (3rd owner) of a 1984 Toyota Dolphin.

i was supposed to buy this one in Lompoc and the owner sold it to someone else 2 days prior to me picking it up after talking with the guy for almost a month knowing that he was gonna sell to me. its funny how things work. i was a little disappointed when he sold it. but i never gave up and keep looking . after a week. i found one in San Jose.

i spoke to the owner and i was on my way. the truck is really awesome. i am so happy i didnt' buy the first one. because this truck is in good shape only 84,000 miles. came with all 6 brand new tires. and it drives super smoothly. i picked it up in San Jose on Friday morning. drove it to San Francisco with no problems. Then on Saturday headed on my journey home to Los Angeles all along the coast. it was a beautiful drive.

Sorry she is dirty, as she wasn't drived much. but i will clean her up in no time.

20180907_144312.jpg

20180907_144353.jpg

20180907_212754.jpg

20180909_091544.jpg

20180909_120824.jpg

Did you pull the rear hubcaps and check what rear axle you have? If only 5 lug nuts, that’s not good. 6 lug nuts and you’re fine. 

4 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Did you pull the rear hubcaps and check what rear axle you have? If only 5 lug nuts, that’s not good. 6 lug nuts and you’re fine. 

Hi Fred. i did. and thanks to all the knowledge here i was able to know that. i told the owner to check that for me prior to going. i was not gonna drive 6 hours to get there to a 5 lug.

this owner had all the keys to the compartments. the main door entrance. i think it even has the stock cassette player.  its got all the buttons and what not. .. so i was really happy with the find.

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Did you buy that from Amy? She was just wining on one of my other sites that she sold her 84 Dolphin and was missing it

Linda S

Hi Linda.

I don't think that is her. I bought it from a really nice guy by the name of Armon, his sister is the one that put the AD for him on CL in the San Jose area by the name of Tina.

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Did you buy that from Amy? She was just wining on one of my other sites that she sold her 84 Dolphin and was missing it

Linda S

you gave me some advice on the other one that i was gonna buy with the pexiglas on top. and he ended up selling it. which worked out in my advantage because the one i got was ready to go and well taken care of. bearly serviced. new belts, new tires ($600) and i think everything works on it. just needs cleaning and a little TLC

congratz !  your rig looks like a winner. way better than the plexi-mobile !  like linda said, these rigs are fun to own and travel in. they do require some effort. but you also have a bit of history to be proud about. good luck and many safe journeys ahead. joe from dover.

16 hours ago, linda s said:

So glad you got this one. That other one was trouble. I know lots of other people on this site do major rebuilds but didn't we buy them to have fun. Not to just work harder. You can start having fun right away. Yeah

Linda S

you are absolutely right Linda. i would of worked hard to just get it ready. this one we cleaned it and it was ready. i enjoyed it so much, it was fun right away. seller was so honest about everything. the other one seemed shady because anything i would ask. he didn't know. and he had it for like 2 years and never took it on camping or drove it more than 50 miles. i think he bought it and drove it home. thats it. .

11 hours ago, hunkaman said:

congratz !  your rig looks like a winner. way better than the plexi-mobile !  like linda said, these rigs are fun to own and travel in. they do require some effort. but you also have a bit of history to be proud about. good luck and many safe journeys ahead. joe from dover.

Thank you Hukaman. this is a winner.  my first journey was a success and only left me wanting to travel more. .

Congratulations Tone! You’re going to love traveling in your new (to you) Toyota. I live in SF and my Dolphin lives in Daly City, so I’ll be sure to wave to you if we pass each other on the PCH someday ?

4 minutes ago, Mark Krueger said:

Congratulations Tone! You’re going to love traveling in your new (to you) Toyota. I live in SF and my Dolphin lives in Daly City, so I’ll be sure to wave to you if we pass each other on the PCH someday ?

Thanks Mark. i picked up this bad boy in San Jose on Friday morning. then we drove it to San Francisco and stayed there for the night. then saturday afternoon we started our journey home. to Los Angeles.

i am the 3rd owner and the previous owner only had it for 3 years. so yeah new.. (to me) lol

we must of passed by your baby cause we came down the coast.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

i have a 2 quick question. i test my water heater and it turns on fine and i just filled up my propane tank so i know its full.

1. the stove burners (4 of them) all turn on fine. but when i try the oven the pilot comes on and stays on, but when i turn it to like 350 nothing happens? any suggestions how to get it to work?

2. also am trying to turn on the furnace/heater but i am not sure how or where the pilot is located. i tried turning on the thermostat on and putting in on heat temperature and i do hear a sort of fan noise coming on. an i can feel air (not hot) on the furnace.  i did a little research but am not sure if am correct. does that thermostat/fan need to been ON prior to turning on the furnace pilot. it does have a push button to ignite but i don't see any spark being made when i press it. i want to turn it on with a lighter. but i don't even know where the flame comes out so i can put the lighter. and am scare to burn any wires there. any suggestion?

thanks everyone in advance for your help. 

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

i regret not taking before pictures. but i think we all know how old and ugly an original "1980's" interior looks like.

i just want to show my remodeled/updated Dolphin. well not completely finished. i need a few more drawer/cabinets painted.

i pretty much did a back splash on the kitchen, painted cabinets white, i used the same hardware but i also painted them, i installed hardwood floor. (☺)

fixed a small leak on the kitchen sink.

i also installed a waterproof laminate in the bathroom. carpet looked so ugly before. and am in the process of buying a new toilet and painting the bathroom interior. (any thoughts on what paint to use? i was thinking just exterior paint or rustoleum white paint and spraying that "never wet" on top of paint.

and the most important upgrade of all...lol  .my 2 month fist baby boy! you can see him helping me..lol by him sleeping that a big help..☺☺

20181212_091404.jpg

20181212_091413.jpg

20181212_091431.jpg

20181212_092414.jpg

20181212_092621.jpg

20181212_092656.jpg

Nice Job tone! I hated the wood paneling in Grannie so I painted over all of it a cream white. Makes the interior nice and bright now and actually looks new! 

Than you Mark. Yes the paint makes a really nice . I lightly sanded the cabinets so the paint won't come off. But I guess you can get away by just painting it . But I notice from the previous paint job that it can easily be scratched off . So I did the extra work but it paid off 

Yea I had to prime Everything before applying the paint so the paint wouldn’t peal chip or crack. The results were worth the extra efforts!

hey there, your improvements to the interior are stunning. great job. i really enjoy that mindset of respect for these unique rigs, and the owners involvement in "keeping them on the road." also updating to make your rig have a flavor of your own.  you know it is a labor of love and can be very satisfying.  i could not believe how much better the interior looked after mark william painted and added some flair to his rig, mark is a buddy and we camp together often. his rig is really nice. it shows when you are proud. hope you  have many great adventures,  be safe. and happy holidays. joe from dover.

• 1 month later...