Air bag suspension needs to be replaced 1985 Escaper

That thing is sitting very low.  I put airbags on my Escaper and while yes they greatly improve the ride as well as the ride height, they're not fixing the issue if the leaf springs are completely shot.  Crawl under the rear and see if the leafs are still holding strength with room for movement (They will have a "U" shape like this).

506528528_0605or_13z1989_ford_ranger_4x4rear_leaf_springs.jpg.a44efd1f1341ab3f6c2afb8e48f917f7.jpg

Or see if they are flat or even folded the other way meaning they are shot like these...if so you should be able to find some to order online or have a custom leaf pack made by a frame/axle shop.  

33omw42.thumb.jpg.98374f2b4df919100aa72346be4de467.jpg

Yes, it is sitting very low. It is difficult to get under it even though I am not a very large person. I will take a look at the springs and try to identify the air bags. Will give updates,  thanks ?.

Looks like somebody used a booster spring on top of the pack.

So your in the market for new springs, airbags, shackle bushings. After you do all that you wont believe the ride difference

53 minutes ago, hamkid said:

Can you explain booster springs? The ride rite now is very ruff.

It’s like a last ditch effort to get a few more miles out of the already shot suspension system.  The leafs have all lost their shape/ suspension capabilities and they basically added one more “leaf” to bring it a little lift back.  

If you look at your photos the spring on top of the factory springs is an after market overload spring.

Ride quality is both springs and bushings. A worn set of bushings let the spring move in the shackles and results is a harsh ride on normal roads. The spring is supposed to FLEX at the axle for a controlled ride.

The best ride combo is stock new springs with NO extra leafs and air bags inflated to level the rig. Even though the poly bushings are stiffer, the ride quality will be much improved over worn 20 year old factory bushings

Would you recommend I attempt these repairs myself, or have a mechanic work on it? Installing the leaf springs seems simple enough, it’s the air bag system that I’m not so sure about. Any web site or documentation would be appreciated. 

On 9/16/2018 at 12:00 PM, hamkid said:

Would you recommend I attempt these repairs myself, or have a mechanic work on it? Installing the leaf springs seems simple enough, it’s the air bag system that I’m not so sure about. Any web site or documentation would be appreciated. 

Have you done mechanical work in the past?  Are you comfortable removing wheels, jacking up the truck and having it safely secured to not crush you while underneath it?  Changing the springs is pretty simple, just have new packs ready to go in.  The airbags are pretty simple to put in as well if you have auto mechanical experience.  My advice would be to fully water test them for leaks before getting them into the truck, I learned that the hard way.  

I have done mechanical work before, just not on a vehicle this size. I have replaced shocks and brakes on my Toyota Corolla and even rebuilt an engine on an old Acura integra. How do I identify what type of leaf springs I need? 

2 hours ago, hamkid said:

I have done mechanical work before, just not on a vehicle this size. I have replaced shocks and brakes on my Toyota Corolla and even rebuilt an engine on an old Acura integra. How do I identify what type of leaf springs I need? 

If you've done that stuff, airbags are really simple.  Just use common sense with jack stands and everything while the vehicle is in the air.  

As far as replacement leaf springs, I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you where you could find HD replacements, but I am unsure.  I know big axle and frame shops could likely find you a replacement set if you bring them yours and tell them the weight off the truck theyre coming off, or they could even heat them and re bend them although for the cost I'd rather replace.  

Keep in mind your axle sits on top of the leaf springs. Adding extra leaves is only going to lower your body in relation to the axle. No real benefit there. 

Research how to measure your leaf springs. The “arch” is what’s going to give you the lift. If you run the “VIN” through a Toyota dealer they should have the factory stock # for the c&c. Then do a cross reference for aftermarket alternatives. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So is that really your vin? My Toyota parts place doesn't recognize it and no other vin check place I checked does either. Parts look accurate though and your spring pack is the one where it says WT. WT is the designation Toyota and Nissan used for the dually wheel chassis

Linda S

That’s my V.I.N, but they told me the company that did the rv conversion might have added different parts than the ones shown. Should I go with these or a more heavy duty leaf spring package?