1980 22ft Heritage tandem/tag axle?

Badger

Just bought this baby!

Does any one have any information on this 1980 Toyota Heritage? 

I have been looking online to no avail.

I have been wondering about if the  tag axle has anything i should be aware of and if the axle is part of the recall...

Any info or links i could check out would be very helpful

IMG_20180828_115853.jpg

If it's a 5 lug I believe this is the axle you do not want, someone else will confirm or deny.  

I am no expert, so please do some homework to find what you are looking for.  But your motorhome's manufacturer is not listed here:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1990/04/18/Government-determines-safety-defect-in-mini-motorhomes/4843640411200/

Also, they stopped making the tandem axle models fairly early, so I would assume something is quite wrong with them.

Dually axles with 5 lugs were the problem. No recalls on tag axles nor have I ever heard of anyone having a problem with them. The biggest drawback I know of is it will cost you more going over toll bridges. There are so few of them we don't discuss them often. I am betting they stopped making them because it was cheaper to slap the fake dually wheels on to the existing axle to carry the weight. Guess that didn't work out so well did it.

Linda S

Some had electric brakes on the tag. The axle usually used a coil torsion spring for support.

The tandem idea had a couple of variations, 4 or 6 rear wheels. The 6 wheels had  foolies on the truck axle so they had the axle problem, just less often.

The tag added about 350 lbs of weight and add about 700lbs of carry capacity so for all the $$$ you only gained 350lbs of carry increase. The tire wear was a bit weird with the rears sliding in corners.

Thank you for your input, Linda you  made me feel better, unbeievable the lack of information....

I really do appreciate all and any of your help 

Thanks again 
Don

• 1 month later...

I wonder if this '79  Heritage model like the earlier verion of the Dolphin (pre-1980''s) has the standing room height of 6'2", unlike other Dolphins which are 6' of course. The body style does look like the earlier Dolphin verion, minus the axle setup. The nose does resemble the Odyssey,with the pointed angular design. 

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/truckee-1979-toyota-heritage/7198760377.html

1979 Toyota Herritage RV.jpg

As you can tell from this thread there is very little information about the Heritage motorhomes. I cant find any information about Dolphins having a higher ceiling either. Looked at a few brochures and interior height wasn't listed. If you want to know ask the seller or if your nearby go see it. Tandem axles are no favorite of mine by the way. 

Linda S