Getting to the front cabover window/clearance lights

neubie

Well, that's interesting.  I just step off of a step ladder onto the truck hood, as close to the firewall as I can get.

I use a type of rolling scaffold commonly referred to as a "baker". it will fit over the front of the cab. side to side it clears the fenders. the platform that you stand on is adjustable for height. I adjust mine to about a foot above the hood. I can then reach the clearance lights easily. "bakers", can be found at harbor freight, and the big box stores such as lowes. they are about $200.00. often on sale at HF, for $150.00. joe from dover.

You need something that will store compact and serve multiple purposes to make it worthwhile. Who doesn't need a lightweight ladder that does everything.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-5FT-Aluminum-Multi-Purpose-Ladder-Extension-Folding-Telescoping-Telescopic/153140198406?hash=item23a7ddfc06%3Am%3AmERQJoqQSGAbclnJ2EwLXdQ&var=452991820859

They come shorter and longer than this but this is the right size for us.

Linda S

Ya know I don't know the width but I have the same ladder in the 12.5 size and it was wide enough. Just not tall enough. Put this larger one next to my Sunrader but all folded up and it's the right height so I know it will be wide enough. I need to paint the cupolas on  roof of my house and needed it for that too. If you already have that many ladders any chance you can just put a board between two of them?

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Ya know I don't know the width but I have the same ladder in the 12.5 size and it was wide enough. Just not tall enough. Put this larger one next to my Sunrader but all folded up and it's the right height so I know it will be wide enough. I need to paint the cupolas on  roof of my house and needed it for that too. If you already have that many ladders any chance you can just put a board between two of them?

Linda S

Yup, did. Then the board slipped and I had a good tumble.

Next time I am tying down the board Or better still raising the ladder on something.

You need 6ft wide and 45 inches or so high to clear the hood.  May be a stool under both ends will do it. A stool hols me, ladder+me cant be that much heavier. Two stools+1 ladder= nastier fall?

My approach:

Seem like everybody has a stepladder around. Borrow one more, so you have two. Depending on the weight of the acrobat in question, stack two 2x6's on top of each other across opposing ladder rungs. Use a couple of big clamps to hold it all securely in place.

Never tumbled over on me, when I did this during my cabover rebuild. And I used the same setup—with the aid of large/small shims—to support the cabover itself, when I was gluing/screwing from the inside.

45 minutes ago, Ctgriffi said:

1. Borrow one more, so you have two.

2. Depending on the weight of the acrobat in question, stack two 2x6's on top of each other across opposing ladder rungs.

3. Use a couple of big clamps to hold it all securely in place.

Failed at step 1, neighbors are into hiring people with ladders. But not into ladders. Alternative -- buy second ladder.  Then omitted to clamp 3/4" 1.5?×8 I was using as a board.  Have a scaffold that is 2 feet high, 5 feet wide. Have a 6 foot wide platform and stools. This time, they will be clamped together like never before!

edit -- and then i will still find a way to fall over. At least didnt kill the engine last time.

Edited by neubie

Home depot sells an aluminum extendable walk plank that is rated for 250 lbs for 200 bucks that you can put between two ladders.       I would be be very careful using construction lumber as a walk plank. They do sell wood walk planks that are made for scaffolding but they meet osha requirements and are a special grade of lumber. Better to be safe than sorry. I'm budgeting for the aluminum one as the front sides on my over head are rotten and I'm going to have to rebuild it. Good luck.