Does this look like a broken guide?  My engine has been stumbling and I've had excessive noise coming from what I thought was valves.  Adjusted the valves and the engine runs quieter, but now I think I hear slop in the timing chain.  Appreciate some help.

Thanks!!

There is a drive side and a slack side to the chain when all is good the tensioner removes the slack from the back side of the chain if it is rattling at idle either the chain is toast or the tensioner is bad if it has something like 150 K on the engine then it needs the works any way. I have seen broken chain guides also they sort of flop around that's not good either bottom line you need to deal with it or the chain will wear a hole in the timing cover and fill the oil pan with coolant, antifreeze is a very poor lubricant and will trash the engine. Sorry to be a bearer of bad tidings but it's not good.

104,000 on the engine.  I can see that the guide has broken off from the bolts, so it’s just flapping.  So, when I do this I should probably change the chain, guides, tensioner, water pump, oil pump, timing chain cover, sprockets, and seals?  Anything else I’m not thinking of?  I found a kit off eBay that has it all.  Anybody know if it’s any good?  

Here’s the link to the kit:

Timing chain kit

The double roller chain kits are very pricy lots of parts involved. Is it worth it for an engine that already has a 100 grand on it? The replacement guides are metal backed with plastic surface. If the case isn't beat up gaskets, chain, guides, and a seal. The average RV mileage is 5 to 7K a year full timers maybe 9 to 10. so before a single roller chain needs replacement again the dang thing will be over 50 years old! There is a real good chance there is lot of metal in the oil pan once the timing case is off it would be a good ideal to to drop the pan any way if you don't there is a chance you may damage the gasket prying the case off the pan. I guess I'm more practical than romantic.

Maineah,

I’m in the same boat.  I don’t want to go changin’ parts that don’t need to be changed and this truck ain’t no spring chicken.  I figure the water pump while I’m in there, because I’m sure it’s ancient.  I have a feeling the timing chain cover isn’t beat up because the guide rails are still in there to protect the chain from slapping the sides, but won’t know until I get in there.  Oil pan gasket for sure, new belts, and we’ll see.  I just wish I knew what kit to get.  The prices vary wildly.  I’ve found kits on Amazon for $81 that could or could not be any better than LC engineering.