Storage Compartment Doors Repair or Replace

1990sunrader

The locks on my storage compartment doors either spin or are loose.

The particle board material inside the doors has eroded over time and no longer hold the locks in place.

Any tips for how to repair this issue or where to find replacement doors?

Thanks!

1 ) remove the door, where the lock hole is on the back side of the door carefully cut out a square area say 4x4 inch and epoxy in a new plywood section then drill thru the existing hole  on the outside with the appropriate sized drill bit and remount your lock. 

2) if you can remove the particle board from the backside of the door altogether, than  rebuild the door using appropriate sized plywood ( I wouldn't use particle board as its mostly glue and sawdust and not very weather resistant .)

Oldgriz - great suggestions.

Replacing the entire door or just the insides are my preference.

I can't tell if I can get the old stuff out. If I can then I can use the inside panel to replace the old faded outside panel.

I will probably use PVC board to replace the particle board inside the guts of the doors to avoid wood altogether.

If I can't disassemble the doors, then I will take the cut out approach and use my multitool to make clean cuts from the back side.

Any advice on how to make the oblong (flat on two sides) holes for the locks? ...it looks like a flattened circle...

Lay out the hole on the material then using appropriately sized drill bits remove as much waste from inside your layout lines, without going outside the line. then using files clean up the hole to the lines use your lock and check for fit. It really doesn't take that long to do.