Propane Low Pressure

Captain JJ

Hi. 1986 Sunrader..

There is little or no propane pressure. Any suggestions where to start trouble shooting?

Permanent propane tank. It acts like it is out of propane. Not getting good flow or pressure.

Got tank refilled, only took 1.3 gallon. Is there a relief valve that must be opened during filling? I don't think the person opened any valve other than the main fill connection. Is it possible they really didn't fill it?

Testing.

Ran the refrigerator on propane. All OK. But I know it doesn't use as much gas as other appliances.

Stove will light but not strong flame. Can't light  all 4 burners at once. If I turn them all on and don't light,  I don't get any strong propane odor. haven't tried to light oven yet.

Water heater. I can get the pilot lit but it won't stay lit after I release the hold down button. and heater won't ignite. Been told to replace thermocouple but thinking it may be related to this low pressure problem.

Haven't tried the furnace yet. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Does your gauge show a full tank? Is the propane that does come out especially smelly? When you run down very close to empty the oil they use in propane as a leak warning becomes more concentrated and it can smell pretty strong. Yes there is a pressure release valve that should be open when filling. Look at this one close up. Small valve with red circle around it even has instructions above it to stop filling when liquid comes out. Got to be open for that

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YSN122-Horizontal-Propane/dp/B01M1BUQ3U

If it does turn out to be properly filled I would change out the regulator. Not expensive and not too difficult a job except for the tiny door access on Sunraders

Oh one more thing. Are you opening the propane valve all the way. They are made to be all the way open or all the way closed, no in between

Linda S

The pressure in the tank is pretty constant at a given temp and is not regulated the only thing that could cause low pressure issues is the regulator. If they did not open the bleeder valve they did not could not fill it because the pressure differences. Propane boils at about -44 * what you burn is the gas that is above the boiling propane it is compressed it is somewhere between 130 to 300 psi depending on temp so the bleeder has to be opened to allow the lower pressure liquid into the tank. As Linda said the valve should be all the way open or all the way closed if nothing else this reduces the chance of leaking propane gas.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have some time to work with it this weekend. I did not see a gauge. Will check. Not particularly smelly. Valve is all the way open. 

I will look at the bleeder valve too. I'm suspecting that may be it because the attendant didin't do anything except hook up the fill hose, turn the pump on and shut it down after registering 1.2 gal. 

If you never hear from me again, i probably blew myself up. Look for a Sunrader in orbit with that Tesla guy.

Thanks

JJ

9 hours ago, linda s said:

I don't think I've ever seen a permanent mount ASME tank with no gauge. If you can't find one please take a pic and post it.

Linda S

Mine didn't (87 Nova Star)

10 hours ago, Captain JJ said:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have some time to work with it this weekend. I did not see a gauge. Will check. Not particularly smelly. Valve is all the way open. 

I will look at the bleeder valve too. I'm suspecting that may be it because the attendant didin't do anything except hook up the fill hose, turn the pump on and shut it down after registering 1.2 gal. 

If you never hear from me again, i probably blew myself up. Look for a Sunrader in orbit with that Tesla guy.

Thanks

JJ

If the bleeder was not opened he could not have filled it and I kind of doubt he got 1.2 gl's in it. It is a small thumb wheel not a large valve. If it was empty it would have required about 7 gallons.