Holding tank neck repair

neubie

I did a major fix on my black tank when it got hit by some wood in the road. Knocked the exit tube all the way off. Grind up some ABS with a rasp bit on your drill into a pan. Add ABS glue and mix it up so it's a thick slurry. Paint it on the crack and your done. It becomes an integral part of the ABS not just a top fix. Dollar store throw away pans and brushes. If it's close enough to the opening you can get some on the inside too. Mine was more complicated because it was so extensive but it never leaked even with putting the drain hose on and off hundreds of times

Linda S

so the plastic tank repair things arent meaningful? I was givdn to understand the holdinb tank plastic isnt quite easy to repair like ABS.The crack found so far is right where the tank neck/exit starts. Probably the result of my moving thd truck around while the tank was unsecured from above.

Are the dump valves basically completely unatrached to the frame? Or am I just missing some fixtures, because here the ABS exits the tanks with nothing but the tanks holding them. Its a large lever to dangle like this. Worse when it gets a dump hose.

My holding tanks are ABS. Are you sure yours aren't. My fresh water tank is the only "plastic" one and yes they are harder to repair. If my black tank had been plastic fixing it wouldn't have been an option. With ABS the glue and slurry concoction is actually building new ABS that becomes part of the tank.

My dump valves don't have supports but they are very close to the tank. In set up's where the black and grey come together for one exit and there's more pipe involved I do think I've seen some of them supported. Pipe hanger straps like you would use on a house will do nicely if you feel they are needed.

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

if its  just cracked and isn't missing any pieces you might be able to repair it with a soldering iron and carefully melt it back together

than reinforce it with some fiber glass cloth and epoxy .  

My tanks are the same material as the freshwater tank or "plastic" as linda puts it. I snuck in as much epoxy mix as I could into the crack, then wrapped around with fiberglass mesh soaked well in epoxy mix. Everything has hardened to form a cover that should hold but it hasnt been tested. My problems are twofold:

1. The tanks are not very heavy when they are empty. The neck is almost heavier with ABS and the valves. Yes the neck isnt very long, but the ABS/valve sections are at least 3 feet long. They are unsupported.

2. The tank straps, there is one underneath and two side straps, dont grab the tanks tightly. The straps easily slide under the tanks.

Road vibrations will surely cause problems. Are the tanks/tank exits like this for everybody? When empty can you slide your finger between the tank and a holding strap?

I also have a ramp off the street that is causing the back to scrape the rear going on/off the curb. Scares me every time the truck drives in/out of its parking space. The air bags should hold here but they are useless until they start holding some air or I get them replaced.

My tanks are a different material.  Plastic for the potable water and abs for the not-so-potable.  But my Dolphin is older, so it may be a little different.

My straps, on the black tank, broke at some point.  I secured it with some heavier straps, but I put some plywood strips between the straps and tank.  They seem to have enough give to deal with the road bumps, but keep everything tight.  They have been on there for 9 years now, so I suppose they are fine.

Things are quite noisy and massager-grade vibratory at the moment, so I will have to find a way to improve security of screws and nuts all the way around. Not comfortable adding water to drainage system yet.

Also have been hoping to get past an oil change first -- which should give you an indea of my skill level and ability. Luck so far - two dealer negatives, and two independent shop bays that wont accomodate the height. I am driving distracted even in the other car hoping to find a bay that might look tall enough. Wonder why most places have capped their bay doors at 8ft or under. One place it almost went in until the fridge went scuppered the plan. Searching radially outward from parking space, and nothing yet within a few miles. Almost out to the shop Linda recommended now. May be tomorrow I get out that far.

Be you RICH??? If not then try your local CC,  years ago the course was called Powder puff Mechanics. I'm sure in todays world its some thing like Auto Mechanics 101.

As proud owner to an elderly Toy House you should be able to.. Check fluid levels in the rear end, transmission, brakes, cooling system and all the batteries. You need to know how to change the engine oil and filter. Adjust the valves, change the spark plugs and set the ignition timing. How to use a volt/ohm meter.

These are all 101 level skills, easily learned and having this knowledge/skill will pay for the college tuition the first time you have a problem on the road.  

In the years I've been RVing Ive had to change  water pumps, alternators, a fuel pump, replace radiator hoses,  a toilet. Preventive maintenance goes a long way, but stuff happens

28 minutes ago, WME said:

Be you RICH??? If not then try your local CC,  years ago the course was called Powder puff Mechanics. I'm sure in todays world its some thing like Auto Mechanics 101.

As proud owner to an elderly Toy House you should be able to.. Check fluid levels in the rear end, transmission, brakes, cooling system and all the batteries. You need to know how to change the engine oil and filter. Adjust the valves, change the spark plugs and set the ignition timing. How to use a volt/ohm meter.

These are all 101 level skills, easily learned and having this knowledge/skill will pay for the college tuition the first time you have a problem on the road.  

In the years I've been RVing Ive had to change  water pumps, alternators, a fuel pump, replace radiator hoses,  a toilet. Preventive maintenance goes a long way, but stuff happens

No, rich wasnt a great guy, never my friend.

Anyhow, the challenge is mobility and flexibility.  Otherwise education would not be a problem. In this case, mechanical issues wise I plan on conserving my abilities towards diagnosis and emegencies. For everything else there has be AAA+. Not much of a choice there, doctors bills can buy you many a toyotahome.