Tire valve stem extenders

neubie

I hear good things about them. I also read about them coming loose and causing flats. Tires appear to have flexible stems right now. No extensions. What do folks use for extensions? Is it adequate to just carry one extender for when it might be needed or is it better to have some installed permanently?

I feel more paranoid about the stem extender coming loose and getting itself into a troubling spot or worse. I have extenders like this, but forgot to ask for metal stems with the new tires. How long did you go without extenders or were they one of the first things on the todo list?

The first time I tried to check tire pressure, I was in the market for valve extensions ;)

I use these on the outers..https://www.makariosrv.com/wheel-masters-135-degree-valve-extenders-8029135/

and a set of the flex hoses on the inners.

Hmm. I guess got to figure out how to get some then. I might use Linda's tire shop recommendation unless I was mistaken and already have metal stems.

I have only had bad luck with tpms stem caps and stem covers so far, may be this time will be different.

Edited by neubie

If you have the 6 hand hole wheels metal stems won't allow you to attach extenders to the rear wheels.  I ended up switching them all back to the flexible ones. Yes there are high pressure rubber valve stems and that's what was on them when they came from the factory. I know because I still have the inside valve stem extender that also came from the factory. I ended up putting the extenders I bought on my Nissan. Goodyear in Los Gatos did the switch for me and they were quite reasonable as I remember and very knowledgeable about using the right ones. You already have them, keep them. They are fine. Tire Merchants were great but they did what I told them and I'd been convinced that metal was the way to go from the comments here. Great on 3 hand hole but just don't work on the 6

Linda S

Just in case anyone doesn't believe me that the 86"s at least came with a valve extender look at the dates this was used and yes it says 4runner but that's my vin. Toyota called them 4 runners

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~extension~valve~90942-05014.html?Vin=JT5RN55T6G7004740&Filter=()&Location=disc-wheel-wheel-cap,,42611H

Here is what I use www.amazon.com/Milton-S-506-Original-Chuck-Inflator/dp/B0002SRL20 along with metal valve stems. The Toyota stem holes are slightly smaller but easily drilled out. The metal ones stay put when you use the inflater that's a plus. Worked great for me for the Toy home and the dually Dodge just make sure your wheels are lined up properly .

6 hand holes. Now to actually go check the stem and extender situation as it exists now.  New tires were inflated before mounting but come with free inflation (yes thats a thing in places where people dont know how to inflate). I figure they wouldnt have left them so bad they cant get to them easy. Seems to me I missed organising at least the stem thing in my tire replacement, perhaps more.

There are 2 basic style air chucks for duallys .The 2 way angled and the 2 way straight. Go to Amazon  and you will see what they look like. After you figure out what stem you have get the best chuck.

the new stems are metal and rigid. At least on one rear they didnt align the interior tire stem to be accessible with the outer. 

Have compressor(s) but have always wondered if they can inflate anything to 60psi given that they seem to want a 10 minute break after doing a 30psi single tire on a compact.

With seemingly rigid metal stems I am more comfortable with extenders on all the time. Will try some out.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if I am posting a question in the right area of this terrific forum. 

I am needing to put on tire valve extensions on the inner wheels for the rear tires.

I am leaning toward a 2 inch metal valve extension.  My challenge is the dual tire valves face each other making it more difficult to air and measure pressure.

It was recommended by the RV supply store that I rotate the outer tire 90 degrees so the valves do not interfere with each other, i.e., inner dually faces out and outer dually faces in toward the inner valve.

Is there a problem to rotate the wheels to so there is 90 degree offset?  Do the wheels only go on one way?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Ridgerunner

Great.  Thanks for the information.  Do you have any recommended passive metal extenders?  i am looking at something by Wheel Master but I am not sure they are passive.  After I rotate the outer wheel so the valves do not face each other, I may be able to put on Alligator V2B caps and that may give me easier access.

What do you think?

• 3 years later...
On 8/15/2018 at 7:13 PM, linda s said:

If you find something that fits please show me pics. I went nuts trying to make something work.

Linda S

Hi Linda what are my options for fixing Leakey stock valve extenders is removing them completely an option It looks like I can get to the valve stem with them gone

Like I said. I tried the flexible extenders and none of them fit. I don't have any answers for you. An extended handle air chuck is the only thing I can think of but not going to be much good at a gas station. 

8 hours ago, linda s said:

Like I said. I tried the flexible extenders and none of them fit. I don't have any answers for you. An extended handle air chuck is the only thing I can think of but not going to be much good at a gas station. 

So you have no extenders on your tires, I'm just wondering. Ever taken the The valve cores out and are they replaceable 

I have the Toyota extenders the same as you. Mine have never leaked. Easy to get off. You take the outside wheel off and unscrew them from the inside wheel, but I already told you this.

So are your tires flat in a day? A week? Did you consider the possibility it's the tire valve leaking. 

Linda S

It depends, I know where its leaking from its the valve core. Not popping back out  Until you stick a little screwdriver in there and help it back out. 

Sounds like a gunk issue. If you take them off, clean them thoroughly and lubricate maybe they will work properly. Water might not be a good idea. Clean and lubricate with 3 n 1 oil. Maybe let them soak. They make tiny brushes to clean your teeth that could get in there and get any gunk out

Like this, any drugstore

image.png.f37a45e3f9cb91efc44ae9a5939a8194.png

Linda S

Go to Walmart. Buy a”Slime” tire repair kit. Less than $10.00

They have new valve inserts, a multi-tool to remove them, even a small thread tap if needed. Easy fix for a common problem.

2 hours ago, fred heath said:

Go to Walmart. Buy a”Slime” tire repair kit. Less than $10.00

They have new valve inserts, a multi-tool to remove them, even a small thread tap if needed. Easy fix for a common problem.

Different than the ones that they sell at the auto parts store.

I have one of those kits I was trying to. The valve cores were different. Then the ones that they sell at the auto parts store. Also, do you know how the factory valve extenders come off of there? Has a retaining Snap washer. And plastic Peace once removed that Spring still won't come through that hole.

I don't know if it separates into 2 pieces right there

3 hours ago, linda s said:

I have the Toyota extenders the same as you. Mine have never leaked. Easy to get off. You take the outside wheel off and unscrew them from the inside wheel, but I already told you this.

So are your tires flat in a day? A week? Did you consider the possibility it's the tire valve leaking. 

Linda S

when you say they dont fit And I've read that the hole is smaller.

Is the actual diameter outside dimension? Of the metal valve stem coming out of the rim actually smaller than the typical ones.if so would you happen to have the specs also the spring on the extenders confuses me i removed the snap washer and plaastic gromit then i figured the spring would come though the hole but no is there a seperation right there

No they are the same as any other Schrader valve. When I say didn't fit I mean they got in the way of the outside wheel fitting back on. The smaller holes in our wheels don't line up so extension went from valve to solid wheel not another hole. It was so long ago I just remember throwing one set away and putting the other set I bought on my Nissan. You say you want to be self reliant about maintaining your motorhome. Get in there and get your damn hands dirty. I'm old enough to be your mother and I am right now installing new shocks and a new blower motor on my Ford. You'll never learn from posting questions. You learn from doing. 

Linda S