Newbie Help please :) *Water pump related*

chrisanglehart

Good Morning
I am the new proud owner of a 1982 Toyota Dolphin. I was hoping i could get a few answers to what most of you will find simple questions, but i just cannot find the answers to my questions online. 

Question 1) with regards to the water pump, we have a switch which is located above the sink to turn it on. Am i correct that this should only be turned on when water is required and should not run for long periods of time.  This leads into my next question in that, when i fill up with water and turn the switch (pump) on, i have a valve that leaks quite a bit when closed, which is what i believe it should be closed when the pump is on. (see close up picture). (I think this is a pressure relief valve and can be replaced)

Question 2) I noticed a lot of water coming out from the bottom of the truck on the driver side door. How does a person get to the water tank and see the hoses to check for leaks?

Again, i know very newbie questions but i am eager to get this all up and running. 

Thanks in advance!!!

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

The pictures are of your hot water heater.  It looks a bit uncared for, but these are still made -- google suburban or atwood water heaters, match the model and locate parts for repair. You dont actually get to the inside of the water heater without a borescope but the electrodes and the valves can be replaced. The commonly used valve is at the top, not bottom. Chances are your kitchen sink is over the heater on the other side.

There are switches for both the water heater if it has an electric ignition and for the water pump.

The water pumps are on demand pumps, they have a built in pressure switch but it doesnt hurt to turn them off if not needed to save battery and pump life.

The location of water tanks varies. Its not uncommon for water lines to leak at joints in these old devices. What is under your sofa/bed?  Its not hard to repair leaky lines, follow them, locate the leaking seam, obtain the right 3/8" replacement nylon barb accessory and clamp it on. It you are feeling adventurous, go for the sharkbite method of new lines+fittings.

Edited by neubie

The valve that looks obviously wet is the drain valve. They come in several sizes so make sure you get the right one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Heater-Drain-Valve/46529810?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034058182&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=88147303488&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-122345772048&wl5=9032371&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117019096&wl11=online&wl12=46529810&wl13=&veh=sem

Be good to get it off and flush out your water heater anyway. Do you use it? The other one with the handle is the pressure relief valve.

https://www.amazon.com/10473-Temperature-Pressure-Relief-Epoxy-Coated/dp/B000BQSINO/ref=asc_df_B000BQSINO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167157107032&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6685399006873288612&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032371&hvtargid=pla-274433036111&psc=1

Your water heater is pre Suburban but the parts are compatible. Suburban bought the company that made yours. No electronic ignition in your original equipment.

I never leave my water pump on. All your leaks are the reason why. Maybe if I replumbed the whole camper but those old pipes can crack or break at any time and I'd rather deal with a little water instead of a flood. Easy to just turn it on when you need it.

Hard to give you ideas of how to get to the leaks without seeing your layout. Unfortunately some fixes require cutting open or removing cabinets to get to them. Hope yours is easier but show us

Linda S

I have the same type of water heater and the drain valve does not have a way to remove it. No 1/2 threaded anywhere. Just a metal washer permanently attached to the heater. You can remove the little petcock insert on the valve if you’re lucky but the entire valve is not removable! 

To me this looks like some generation of suburban. This is probably a newer model in same/ different size

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-5067A-Pilot-Ignition-Heater/dp/B00MJUOD20

the manual for this type should have maintenance instructions that might still apply.

Sadly the leak is more likely from rust at valve/tank joint than a leaky valve insert. Couldnt hurt to empty the heater and inspect carefully before repairing. At least it looks like an electric ignition type and not a manual pilot model.

He still can’t remove the entire heater drain valve from this unit! Doesn’t come out.

Hmm I have the same one too. The red knobs at the top are the ones you push down to light the pilot if anyone wants to know. My manual shows a part number for the drain valve and the schematic shows it separately. I always thought it came out somehow. As far as who made it. Unitrol is the name of the main control on Mor-flo/ American water heaters which became Suburban. Many but not all parts will fit the older ones

Linda S

My hot water heater in Grannie is original. I don’t use it. If I need hot water I heat some over the stove. Saves a lot of propane! 

I'm surprised to hear that some think the drain valve on hot water tank is not removable.  I just got done replacing mine after our annual trip to the Oregon coast.  It was a bit corroded but nothing that some WD40 can't handle.

By the way we use our hot water heater all the time when we're camping.  Just light the pilot and turn the burner on.  It's very efficient and doesn't use much propane at all.

WP_20180814_13_07_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20180814_12_26_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20180814_12_26_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20180814_12_24_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20180814_12_24_34_Pro.jpg

Edited by Rogue Runner

I’m talking about the entire valve. I can remove that little drain valve you show but not the whole valve. Makes it difficult to try and flush the tank through that little hole! I can’t replace the entire valve with a new 1/2” valve. 32 year old heater. Or possibly that was the whole valve back in the day.....just so smalll. Derek would know!

That's is a 3/8 inch drain valve similar to what you would find on a car radiator years ago. No water tank is easy to clean why the drain is not on the bottom is beyond me guess that's how they sell heaters. RV outfits do sell a wand that will fit inside that connects to a garden hose to help flush it out. I use mine too after I have had the nightly shower the pilot flame keeps it hot through the night and there is plenty of hot water in the morning without it even running.

There's a YouTube video on the process for cleaning the tank (can't figure how to load).  They use a Camping World special water spray wand that easily fits into the "washer" hole.  They then turn on the water and move the wand around to remove scale.  The process is augmented by also using white vinegar.

Thanks Rogue! So that is the whole valve. I do have one of those wands. Haven’t tried it yet!