new member here

ppavone58

New member to the forum.

I'm in the market for a a 1990 - 1994. I'm willing to do some rebuilding work. I really like the small size, gas mileage and what I would think should be Toyota reliability.

In my search I've come to realize there are no high mileage RV's around. I drive  a 2006 Corolla with 224,000 miles. Runs great - hardly needed to repair/replace anything. The highest mileage I've seen on an RV is 122,000. I understand that RV's are really not driven daily and shouldn't have super high mileage. But then why do so many advertise all the engine work that has been done. Radiator - fuel injectors - alternators - water pump - valves adjusted ...etc Makes me a little nervous

thanks

9 minutes ago, ppavone58 said:

New member to the forum.

I'm in the market for a a 1990 - 1994. I'm willing to do some rebuilding work. I really like the small size, gas mileage and what I would think should be Toyota reliability.

In my search I've come to realize there are no high mileage RV's around. I drive  a 2006 Corolla with 224,000 miles. Runs great - hardly needed to repair/replace anything. The highest mileage I've seen on an RV is 122,000. I understand that RV's are really not driven daily and shouldn't have super high mileage. But then why do so many advertise all the engine work that has been done. Radiator - fuel injectors - alternators - water pump - valves adjusted ...etc Makes me a little nervous

thanks

A part of that has a lot to do with just plain age The V6 had issues that were not foreseen by Toyota it was a new engine in 88 I had one in a pickup with over 170K so it's a crapshoot Toyota at least tried to help their customers. There were may full size ones with transmission failures because of inadequate cooling. It's a big load to haul around they are bricks against the wind I hope you are not expecting 20 MPG cause it ain't going to happen 13 is more like it and it really does not matter what it is I get 13-14 with a smallish camper and a Tacoma about the same as my Nova Star Toyota. I have a 28 year old camper I tow with a Tacoma it has it has had house  issues and there is not much to it, houses really weren't meant to be driven but they are a lot nicer than a tent that's why people love them! 

:devel: Aw look at the cute little RV... DANGER WILL ROBINSON ..Yes they are just that, but the newest is 24 years old and some out there are approaching 40 years old.

The appliances are the slightly smaller versions of the stuff in a 45ft MH. They work the same, have the same problems and repair costs. No cuteseepoo prices

With an RV this old the "best" depends not on what make, but what the previous owner(s) has done to it and how they did it.

Be  prepared to kiss a lot of toads before you find your princess

I'm hearing quite a lot about the bullet proof 22RE engine. Some say that it lacks power but still 'very derivable'. We're not the type of people who hurry to their next destination anyway. We are fine with just doing the speed limit on vacation. My question is for you with actual  22re experience. What is it like to drive on a long trip. If someone could elaborate in some detail what it's like that would be so helpful.

Can you run 65 mph on expressways with some power left over or is it topped out? Do you need to turn your flashers on when going up most hills or just mountain type terrain. In my 2008 Caravan it will downshift on some expressways that have the third slow lane for trucks. Do I need to count on using that lane all the time and flashers on most hills? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I have cruise control and overdrive in my '87 Sunrader with 22R engine. I use the overdrive and cruise control when on flat ground or downhill, then shift out of it when climbing a hill, this works great once you get the rhythm down. I get 13-14 mpg. 

Iflyfishincruisecontrol

Hey pp, the 22RE is very durable But underpowered! I don’t drive over 60. Get 15 mpg going slow. 65 mph will result in much poorer mpgs. I’ve never driven Grannie in the mountains. I’ve learned to manually down shift the auto tranny when the engine starts bog down on a hill. The 22RE loves to rev. They are fun to drive but don’t expect to get anywhere fast!