A question about the Dinette

Squirrel

Hello, I have had a 1981 Dolphin for about 9 years now.  When I bought it, the previous owner showed me the boards that slid out from the benches in the dinette.  He told me that they were used to make the dinette bed larger, but he didn't know how.  I doubt that those two boards alone would support a person's weight, as there would be nothing supporting them in the center.

I was just wondering if any of you helpful and more experienced people knew how the dinette operated.  I will probably not do anything with it, but it does make me think.

If your dinette is on the side, the dinette tabletop fits across from one seat to the other.  Just pull the tabletop off the steel post, pull the post out of the socket and store the post somewhere.  Put the dinette top across, then use the two cushions from the seat backs to fill between the two seats.  Works fine in my Toy for an over 200 lb guest.

If your dinette is across the back there is also a way to use that but I don't know it.

Thank you for your reply BobBeery.

My dinette is in on the side and has 2 steel posts.  Putting the table down onto the lip on the seats works just fine.
I believe that I am not explaining my query very well.  Below is my layout.  The (sadly low resolution) diagram shows that the benches slide out towards the kitchenette.  The previous owner led me to believe that this action could somehow make the dinette into a larger sleeping platform.

I've scratched my head a little.  I was just hoping that someone on here had a similar situation lol.

layout.png

It probably came with an extra solid piece that you put on the lip in the back section to widen the table shelf. Then you take your back cushions and fill in the space on the bed. Piece of plywood would work. Table towards the outer edge would lock it in place. Might still be there somewhere but you just didn't know that was what it was for

Linda S

Thank you Linda S.  I think that sounds reasonable.  I'll have to fetch a board and try it out.  It is certainly not currently in the Dolphin, as I have it partially gutted.

Thanks again.

Sorry Squirrel,  I just read your first post wrong so gave you wrong info.  My fault.  Hope you can get this figured out, then post it for the rest of us.  Bob

No need for apologies, BobBeery.  I am still happy to receive your information.

Linda has got to be right on the money on putting a board across the little slides.  They even have a little lipped end that looks like it was  made to keep the right sized board firmly in place. I do have the original cushions, somewhere, so I have to try it out!