Paranoid about propane?

lexxxel

I put a new small propane tank in the camper to replace the old "sideways" tank that was in it (it was super old, and it wasn't a real sideways tank, just a reg old tank turned on it's side to fit the space). I bought the new tank filled. I havn't used it, as it was extremely hot on my recent long camping trip, so no cooking and no heat necessary. I disconnected the fridge propane a while back because the line where it crosses the camper looked a little crimped (and green in that spot).

I found when the camper was leaning slightly to one side (in one direction, didn't happen in the other direction leaning), that the propane tank made constant banging noises, like when you hear pile driving in the distance, that banging echo sound. It freaked me out by the end of the trip because it was happening all day one day. Why is the tank making these noises and is this "normal"? Should I be concerned about it blowing up or something, or am I just being paranoid?

10 minutes ago, lexxxel said:

I put a new small propane tank in the camper to replace the old "sideways" tank that was in it (it was super old, and it wasn't a real sideways tank, just a reg old tank turned on it's side to fit the space). I bought the new tank filled. I havn't used it, as it was extremely hot on my recent long camping trip, so no cooking and no heat necessary. I disconnected the fridge propane a while back because the line where it crosses the camper looked a little crimped (and green in that spot).

I found when the camper was leaning slightly to one side (in one direction, didn't happen in the other direction leaning), that the propane tank made constant banging noises, like when you hear pile driving in the distance, that banging echo sound. It freaked me out by the end of the trip because it was happening all day one day. Why is the tank making these noises and is this "normal"? Should I be concerned about it blowing up or something, or am I just being paranoid?

VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!! 

No propane tank designed to sit vertically should ever be placed in the horizontal position. Remove the tank immediately. 

No, I think you misread my post. I took out the old sideways tank. I put in a small tank that fits upright. It's put in properly and strapped tightly.

The old sideways tank never made any noise, and it was old and sideways! This new little tank that seems so nice is the one that's banging. One bang per second, I'd estimate. A lot of banging, but only when the camper leans one way slightly to the side. Very weird.

A tank should not be knocking. Its usually due to a valve issue or air/fuel mixture issue. But thats based on non-rv propane tank experience. If the tank isnt big, is it possible to disconnect it safely? Does it knock even when its turned off completely?

May be at least reduce the pressure as much as possible by burning off some of the gas at a slow rate? Then have the tank and lines inspected.

Sounds like a bad valve. Exchange the tank with a new one. If the knock goes away, the tank is the problem. 

thanks for the replies. Yes, it knocks when it't turned off completely. I haven't had it on to use it, and keep it in the closed/off position. When I first noticed the banging I went out to look, and made sure the valve was completely off, it was. It kept knocking. I thought maybe a bad valve too, but then thought maybe this is normal. But it sounds bad. Only happens when leaning sideways with the tank on the high side of the lean. Back to front lean isn't an issue. Maybe because the tank is placed mid camper, so back to front doesn't tip it's position as much as side to side does.

Maybe the tank is overfilled. Annoyingly I can't reach the shop I bought it from. Busy season. And it's a long drive to get to them. I'll keep trying, hopefully they will do something for me, not sure what kind of "warranty" propane tanks carry. Now I'm paranoid to use it!! I've always been wary of propane, all last summer and fall I camped without it, and now this experience, after psyching myself up that it's all safe and people use it all the time, has made me nervous again. Crappy.

Bad valves arent something you ignore or wait upon. There is more than one valve you have to worry about -- when you drain fuel, air is drawn in through another valve to compensate.

https://i1.wp.com/hazmatnation.fireemsblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/157/2015/09/Propanetest.jpg

There is no control on relief valves and they can be bad too. Vertical tanks arent supposed to be used horizontal or leaned but knocking is a bad, ominous sign.

Reducing pressure should help. How you do it isnt clear if the tank is turned off. Is the fridge off too, then? By any chance is there a portable cooktop connection in the setup somewhere that you can setup away/outside just to burn off and reduce pressure?

What does the gauge read full or over? Its not easy to overfill modern tanks -- its probably a sensitive valve.

There is no outside appliance to hook it up to. Fridge is not connected because I didn't like the look of the line. Also, I never use. Don't eat meat or dairy, so nothing needs to be kept cold.

There is also no gauge to indicate fill level. I bought it filled from the shop. They filled it. It's just a little 5 pound tank, that's what fits upright in my camper (which at one point had a horizontal tank).

It isn't knocking all the time. Only at camp sites where the truck is leaning side to side and the propane is on the high side of the lean.

Maybe the kid at the shop who filled it, overfilled it. If I just disconnect the tank and open the valve some of the propane will expel into the air. Will that work to reduce pressure? As I say, it's not currently knocking. I feel like if I take it back to the shop (a couple hours drive for the trip) all they are going to do is take it in the back, open the valve, and let some gas go. What would you do?

Remove the tank.  Take it where there no open flames. Open the spit valve if vapor comes out then the tank is not overfull.  Close the valve and go about your business. If liquid comes out the tank is over full so wait until vapor comes out then close spit valve

The spit valve is NOT the main valve where the hose connect

Edited by WME

It's very hard to over fill a modern portable tank you sort of would have to turn it upside down to defeat the float valve designed to shut off the liquid flow. If you have a tank with the old type valve (more than 3 flutes on the valve handle) then yes if you try it can be overfilled. I have yet to see a float valve fail I have seen them jamb making it hard to refill if not impossible to fill often requiring them to be slammed on the ground to free the valve. Never heard a tank make noise though. I fill tanks at a local campground so I have seen a few. Trade it in get another one.

• 1 year later...

Can I pile on here. Just bought a 1982 Toyota Motohome (corsair made RV Canada ). Drives well. Low mileage. Love it. I forgot to ask about the propane tank.  I see an old sideways propane tank but wonder if I can still refill it and how ? Or a library i can look in. Many thanks.  Val

supposedly the ASME are good forever but depends who you try to fill from. Love's wouldn't fill mine. Sand it down and put a coat of paint on it and see if TSC or someone will fill and hope there no leaks or get it tested if you are worried.

where are located?