1986 Sunrader Just Broke Down in Rhode Island - Clutch engages, Stick shifts, but Can’t get in gear

Driving along a country rode and suddenly she’s not in gear. Clutch feels ok, can move gearshift all the way around, but not going into any gear so I had to stop. Looking for advice on what it might be and also any recommendations for a good mechanic near North Kingston Rhode Island. Thanks!

81DDF429-979A-47E6-8CCF-E76903AB5CA9.jpeg

Edited by Jeannette D

Wow, if your by yourself there's not much you can do, but wait for a tow. Check to see if the clutch master cylinder is full

If some body is with you  push it. Look at the drive shaft turns. If it turns try pushing with the transmission in 4th gear.

IF the turns it sorts means the rear axle is good. IF the entire drive shaft does not turn, possible rear axle problems  or only the rear part turns a bad ujoint or broken drive line coupler spline.

It it turns in 4th gear, bad transmission, bad shifter piviot bushing.

Not much to repair on the side of the road. Get towed to a repair shop and talk to them Monday.

Good luck

I see, I was hoping it was the usual stuck slave cylinder.  That's a shame, I'm afraid your issue is beyond me.

Were you just driving along and poof, or were you doing something, like shifting??

Does the speedo work? If it has a broken axle or drive shaft the speedo will regester speed but you won't move. It is possible you ripped the center out of the clutch every thing will act kind of normal but you won't go anywhere but if that's the case no speed will be registered.. 

Ok, so speedo isn’t moving when engine is reving. And I was driving up a steep hill in 2nd, when the road leveled out I went to shift into 3rd, depressed clutch, shifted into 3rd like usual and the engine just revved as speed decreased, I pulled over to the side of the road. 

OK you were shifting... that eliminates the really $$$$$ stuff. Slave cylinder jammed ( easy replacement), throw out bearing, clutch fork broken, broken fork pivot.

Your transmission will have to come out to get to most of the clutch stuff.

If you have to do this have the shop do a complete clutch replacement, the parts are reasonable and most of the labor is getting the transmission out.

CHECK THE SHIFTER PIVOT BALL IN THE TRANSMISSION. Its the cheapest easiest fix for this possible problem. Its on the top of the transmission where the shifter goes into it.

If it is the stuck slave, push it to the floor, and crawl under there with a hammer and give it a few taps.  A lot of times it will loosen up and will work for you for a while, don't bend anything though.  I would still bleed it for good measure, if you have some brake fluid laying around.

I would still replace the slave and master cylinders (if that is your problem).  But freeing it up would get you going.  If you are nervous about the hammer part, you can also remove it, push the end of it into a solid flat surface, and squirt out what is sticking it.

• 2 weeks later...