Sunrader side windows leaking and gap in rubber gasket?

lexxxel

I'm having problems with my side windows on my sunrader. Last year I thought the seam was leaking on the camper, and people suggested it was the windows (I think Linda- who was so right!). I thought it wasn't. I was so wrong! While on my extended camping trip it rained for a few days and I got to see the rain coming in. It comes in at the bottom of the window, along the inside track. This is happening on both windows, and then leaking down the wall onto the dinette cushions and cabinets. It is worse on the driver's side, and when I went out to look I noticed a gap in the rubber gasket. I'm attaching a pic of that gap in the rubber gasket on the outside of the window. I put some aluminum tape over the hole/gap.

Is this stuff replaceable and what is it called? The gasket strips on both windows look old and cracked, and the smaller rubber strip on the fixed portion of the window also looks cracked. Is this how the water is getting in?

What do I need to reseal these windows if I can fix the gaskets? I know butyl tape but how do I know what size? The windows are about 48" x 24", so I'd like to avoid replacing them, because that will be expensive, and so hoping they can be made watertight again. Just not sure how. Any advice appreciated!

20180726_141812.jpg

Cant help you with window sealing, but others here and searching on youtube can help.

For the rubber, you want

https://www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=303

its called a glazing bead. Its very specific, you cant use any other than what you have that the track/window was designed to accept. This company will ship you samples cheap -- look for sample kit or sample lengths -- that you can match to what you need.

These things shrink in the sun. A hot water bath may help make them pliable and stretchable again unless they are ancient.

They arent cheap.

Check your windows for dirt blocking water egress too. A weephole may be the culprit in part.

Glazing bead doesn't stop water, it just holds the glass firmly to the frame. Most likely cause is weep holes. Track can't drain, fills with water and leaks into camper. pipe cleaner will help. In your case it looks like the glazing bead partially covers the weep holes so it probably has to come out. Butyl tape is used when you remove the window from the camper and reinstall. Might be a good idea to just do the whole thing. Butyl tape you don't need an exact size. It's like play dough. Squeezes out the sides of the window when you screw them down and you trim the excess off. All of this stuff is way easier than it sounds.

Linda S

I looked at the weep holes and they seem completely blocked, probably by the glazing from the looks of it. What sense does that make?  When you try to stick something in the hole from the bottom, it hits something rock hard. No water ever drains from them. It's all draining inside the camper.

How can I take the glazing out without wrecking the window, I assume it needs glazing strips to hold it together.

Would a drip cover over the top of the windows help? A lot of the water pours off the roof and hits the window, maybe a drip cap would stop that from pouring down the window.

This is just so frustrating. Maybe new windows would just be better. So sick of the leaks (and they dont slide well anyway). At a certain point buying new ones saves time and frustration. Any suggestions on reasonable window places?

The glass wont just fall out if the glazing beads are taken out. At least they shouldn't.  Looks like you need a good window cleaning inside and out. If cleaned and lubricated they shouldn't be bad at sliding either.

Cleaning, new/reapplication of glazing and making sure weep holes aren't blocked is the answer. Many people will take out and reseal windows to make sure water isn't leaking around the frame.

If the diagnosis is conclusively just blocked weep holes that's easily fixed by taking out the bead -- they are just popped into a channel.

No idea on new windows, removing frames is often a big can of worms, revealing inevitable rot.

Thanks for the suggestions. I can take the windows out one at a time when I have some time to do it, then clean them up and reseal them, but, I don;t really know what you guys mean by "just take out the glazing strips" to clear the blocked weep holes. I thought the glazing strips kept the windows firm and in place in the window frames. Aren't they a necessary piece of a functioning window? If I take them out to clear the weep holes should I be putting something new back in? Or leaving them out and leaving a gap? I don't get it...

The glazing beads only help the window to stay in place.  The glass isn't going to fall out. It's sealed to the frame of the window with something like windshield sealant or butyl glass sealant. Glazing beads are just extra support so the flexing of the camper when driving doesn't break that first, more important seal. I have replaced glazing bead on a few campers. Never had a problem from removing it temporarily.

Linda S

oh ok I see, you are saying remove it temporarily while cleaning out the weep holes, and then put it back in. I thought by take it out, people meant permanently.

But putting it back in will surely block the weep holes again. And yes it is from 1982 and should be replaced. Maybe new more pliant stuff would let the water drain? Or should I drill little holes in the glazing bead where the weep holes sit?