Thinking of removing the Sunrader front plexi windows

lexxxel

I've seen some people remove the front sunrader windows on the cabover and fibreglass over the holes. My windows are leaky, and yes I could take them out and reseal, but I just got back from 3 weeks of camping, and I must say the windows are kind of annoying. In some camp sites there's no shade and you end up pointing the front into the sun in the evening or in the morning. Either way, it gets super hot up there! I ended up putting reflectix up against the windows and found it a lot cooler. Pretty dark, but also more private, as with lights on you can pretty much see through the old cabover curtains (those need replacing too, years of sun rot has made them easy to rip when touched).

No A/C in this little truck camper Sunrader. So windows that open are a big plus. I was thinking of maybe glassing over the front and corners, and then getting some small crank open or sliders for the sides of the cabover... that way I'd have some light and air flow while sleeping. I like the look of the cabover windows, but they're really not practical. The tiny truck camper only has 2 opening windows and the vent. More opening windows would be a big plus. I've already made a screen for the pass through window between the truck cab, and for the openings in the bed storage areas, which helps, but opening windows up top would be awesome.

Any ideas on what you would do? I won't get to this project for a long while, just considering what to do at this stage. Are there any salvage places with camper windows around in the Michigan area? I know a lot of the older campers had those tiny crank outs at the sides of the cabovers... would be nice to use that type.... crankouts can stay open in rain while sliders are an issue.

I went through the pinned salvage yard thread before I posted, should have been more clear in that. Nothing listed in it and thought maybe someone might know of an auto scrap yard with some campers in it. I'lll look around locally, might find something. Otherwise, could order some new ones, shouldn't be too pricey because they're so small.

I don't like the plastic windows. They are cold in cold weather and hot in hot weather. Plus they look a little warped and need re-sealing. I'm thinking, why do all that work when they're so useless anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

I got fed up with my cab over window leaking...after replacing it and removing it to reseal over and over..I put a fiberglass panel in to replace the window. I dont have wrap around windows but the window was not flat...with the help of a good friend ..found an old fiberglass truck cap at the dump.  I used the old window as a template and cut a fiberglass piece from the truck cap. Then used car body 2 part epoxy (expensive) to glue in the piece...used screws to hold it in until it set.  Then tried my best fiberglass filling techniques to blend the new piece with the existing body. Painted over the whole thing with topside boat paint.  It didnt come out bad for a rookie and I am super happy not to worry about a soggy bed anymore!! I replaced all of the rotted wood and paneled over the inside and am now working on some lighting to brighten up the space.

windowafter.JPG

windowbefore.JPG