Kill Switch

Jeffrey

I noticed recently of a Toyota RV that was stolen in my area ( a sad commentary on how low people will go to take some thing that isn't theirs).

I like to take my rig out and set it up as a base camp to hike out into the wilderness from. Which means I leave it sometimes at trail heads and parking lots that could be visited by those with bad intent in their minds. I had a classic Land Rover back a few years, and just below and in front of the seat was a "Kill Switch" that disconnected the battery. It was inconspicuous but easy access. Made a habit of always shutting the power down.

Has anyone out there installed such a switch on their Toyota, and if so, how and where?

It's hot right now in the Pacific NW and I'm headed to the beach and will be leaving the rig in a parking lot for a few days as I hike and camp up the coast and I'd like to make sure the rig is there when I get back.

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

I noticed recently of a Toyota RV that was stolen in my area ( a sad commentary on how low people will go to take some thing that isn't theirs).

I like to take my rig out and set it up as a base camp to hike out into the wilderness from. Which means I leave it sometimes at trail heads and parking lots that could be visited by those with bad intent in their minds. I had a classic Land Rover back a few years, and just below and in front of the seat was a "Kill Switch" that disconnected the battery. It was inconspicuous but easy access. Made a habit of always shutting the power down.

Has anyone out there installed such a switch on their Toyota, and if so, how and where?

It's hot right now in the Pacific NW and I'm headed to the beach and will be leaving the rig in a parking lot for a few days as I hike and camp up the coast and I'd like to make sure the rig is there when I get back.

Depending on what you have for an engine I’d just pull the coil wire (or similar) and take it with you. Simple solution that won’t cost anything. Fuel pump relay would also work. 

Edited by fred heath

Also, I have the 3.0 6 cy engine and while looking under the hood just now, there is a fuse box next to the battery and I'm wondering, since I'm not really a mechanic (mechanic), if I were to remove a specific fuse, might that incapacitate the engine (somehow)?

Thank you, Fred. If I don't put in a switch, I'll follow your advice. Do you happen to know where the Fuel pump relay is located on a 1990 3.0 V6 ?

Too new for me. There should be a plastic box under the hood labeled “relays” or fuses. Open that up and the underside of the lid should identify the relays and their location. The relays pull straight up. Might be better to hide it in the rig somewhere rather than take with you (so you don’t loose it?).

The problem with pulling a main fuse is they’re interchangeable. Someone could pull the a/c fuse (not needed to run the engine) and replace the fuse you removed. 

Relays are usually item specific and won’t interchange. 

Just curious, are you a pilot?

Edited by fred heath

No, Fred, not a pilot, but when I was on a wildfire once (as an engine boss/Rx burn boss) in Colorado, a helicopter went down just a few hundred feet from where our brush truck was parked, about 12000 feet up in a saddle between two mts, and I was the first over to the copter as it laid on its side, smoking, and everyone was crawling out except the pilot, who was still strapped in, and as I "gently" pulled him out, he had just flipped the kill switches for fuel and electrical systems, which apparently is programmed into their minds, so to reduce our chances of getting baked and broiled. I'm assuming you were asking for that reason? Anyway, he lived, had a broken back but still had to get him out and away from the wreckage.

Der up Nor...that might work...thanks

37 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

No, Fred, not a pilot, but when I was on a wildfire once (as an engine boss/Rx burn boss) in Colorado, a helicopter went down just a few hundred feet from where our brush truck was parked, about 12000 feet up in a saddle between two mts, and I was the first over to the copter as it laid on its side, smoking, and everyone was crawling out except the pilot, who was still strapped in, and as I "gently" pulled him out, he had just flipped the kill switches for fuel and electrical systems, which apparently is programmed into their minds, so to reduce our chances of getting baked and broiled. I'm assuming you were asking for that reason? Anyway, he lived, had a broken back but still had to get him out and away from the wreckage.

Der up Nor...that might work...thanks

Saw your JAL logo. I flew rotary wing in the military.