Should I buy this!!!?

NenaMC

I want to purchase this 1984 Toyota Dolphin  to live in. I found this dolphin for sale and would like a second opinion on it. Should I buy it? What do I have to look for before I purchase? What’s it worth? It has 53k miles on it. And it’s going for 6k. I offered him 5k and he slightly agreed. So I have only today to decide. Any input is appreciated.

thank you.

8B8479A8-2AF3-447D-8209-45588899031C.jpeg

1F7C42C2-0ADB-49B7-BD72-F161CD02E52B.jpeg

2ECA29C6-8B3A-42E3-95AE-FFA81048EC50.jpeg

7032D1DF-A64A-438A-B762-57038096C617.jpeg

4AB1F23B-53C4-4E58-AA13-D1E74A70999D.jpeg

3C28CFDE-D63A-4260-807E-32A45E219CCB.jpeg

Edited by NenaMC

Ok, I’ll check under the rv. The tires, really? What if it’s not 6-lug full floating? Why would one have 5-lug duallies if it’s not good? 

Edited by NenaMC

Even tires that look 'good' with plenty of tread can fail if older than 6 years or so, especially on an RV that can sit for months in the hot California sun. Replacing all of then can cost $600-$1000.

Pre-1986, the 5-lug axle was overloaded by the motorhome manufacturers by adding 'foolies' to an axle designed for single wheels. There was a recall. Now expired, so you'd be on your own to correct. Cost? $500 - $4000 (according to some), depending how lucky you are in finding a used replacement and who's doing the installation.

15726712_911097567863_7558610131401369900_n.jpg

I see some droop in the center of the overhead section. Might have some rot in there and need rebuilding. When buying a motorhome this old rushing into it is never a good idea. 5 grand isn't that cheap and there are other motorhomes out there. Find the right one

Linda S

Really...if it does not have the full floating axle, imo don't buy it. If it does, check for rot in the cabover by checking under the mattress , the walls and ceiling...tap the areas with your knuckle and if u get sharp RAP sounds it is good...if u get dull THUD sounds it is rotted and very expensive to have someone fix it!

Ok, I’ll post pic of that once I get a shot

Omg, thanks ? 

you guys are life savers!

cool group btw

Hey! Anybody there. Do these look good!?

The axle looks good. Goggle the net and find out how read the tire dates.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Tires are toast. Bridgestones haven't been sold for years.

Minimum 16 years old but probably older. Last ones were dated 2002. I wouldn't drive it more than a few miles to a tires store.

Linda S

Plus, look at the tires in the tire pics, they're all cracked with huge weathering issues. Crappy even without knowing the age! And what is that, black spray paint over the inner portion of the rims and the axle? What's that hiding? I always question what people are hiding with fresh spray paint... many older vehicles people will take black spray paint to the underside just to hide the rust. Fools some people I guess.

If you went to see the vehicle in person and didn't know those tires were bad, you are missing other things for sure about the vehicle itself, and the camper. You need to get a mechanic or inspection company to go see any vehicle you are interested in buying, because you don't know enough yourself to understand what you're getting into. If you can't fix things yourself it is going to be cheaper to buy a new rv! Places charge $125-$150 AN HOUR just to do cosmetic stuff (which is a giant rip off as it's not skilled labor, and mostly it's high school kids doing the work, but that's what you pay). More for skilled work. An older camper can be a money pit. And an old truck can cost $$$ in maintenance and repair. Make sure you know what you're getting. Something that has been meticulously maintained is well worth the added up front cost (which will be a lot more than $5000) unless you can do all the necessary work yourself.

8 hours ago, lexxxel said:

Plus, look at the tires in the tire pics, they're all cracked with huge weathering issues. Crappy even without knowing the age! And what is that, black spray paint over the inner portion of the rims and the axle? What's that hiding? I always question what people are hiding with fresh spray paint... many older vehicles people will take black spray paint to the underside just to hide the rust. Fools some people I guess.

If you went to see the vehicle in person and didn't know those tires were bad, you are missing other things for sure about the vehicle itself, and the camper. You need to get a mechanic or inspection company to go see any vehicle you are interested in buying, because you don't know enough yourself to understand what you're getting into. If you can't fix things yourself it is going to be cheaper to buy a new rv! Places charge $125-$150 AN HOUR just to do cosmetic stuff (which is a giant rip off as it's not skilled labor, and mostly it's high school kids doing the work, but that's what you pay). More for skilled work. An older camper can be a money pit. And an old truck can cost $$$ in maintenance and repair. Make sure you know what you're getting. Something that has been meticulously maintained is well worth the added up front cost (which will be a lot more than $5000) unless you can do all the necessary work yourself.

F*** should have said it sooner, I already bought the thing. Stay tuned for all bullsh*t coming your way on toyotamotorhome.com

( i gotta take it lightly but my wallet won’t)

We told you the tires were toast right away and I warned you about the possible rot issues in the overhead. Hope it's not too bad cause yeah fixing these old campers, if you can't do it yourself, can be very expensive.

Linda S

Hey, Relax. Tires are not that big or a deal when you consider you bagged a 6 lug ff axle. Yeah it may need some work, but you got your own roof over your own head. ?

Tires are pretty much something I would always expect to replace when buying a vehicle.  I think the condition of your new home looks absolutely amazing!  Very clean and in great shape, even the step looks good!  Pay extra attention to where the corner molding sections meet.  I've had a little experience with the roof metal shifting over time and causing a bit of a leak.  You may also want to pull the strip out of the center of the molding, to see if your screws are rusty.  That can usually be a bad sign.

Not a lot of joy, but even a "good" used car will cost you $300-500 to make it right. Thats just life in the fast lane.

Hey Squirrel, thank you.

it is a neat well maintained trailer. No signs of water damage. The car runs fine. I’m gunna have a mechanic friend tune it up for me, smog it. I will check the screws outside to see if there’s any rust. Thanks everybody for your concern. I’m happy with my trailer. Has everything I need and super compact. I’ll be living on these forums now. 

I would just want to learn how to water proof it/how and what type of caulking cuz I can see it around the crevices of the trailer

oh, and as for the tires I’m gunna check at all the tire shops in town, eBay, Craigslist, offer up, letgo...etc. Pretty sure I’ll find some. 

185R14/C or D , is that correct?

Edited by NenaMC

I've heard a few conflicting things on caulking, but generally people agree that silicone is not suitable.

I'm assuming that you have a 22r?  Be careful which mechanic you let mess with it.  Usually in a big shop, there will be maybe one person who knows how to tune a carb.  In my experience, most mechanics you take it to will use it as a "learning experience", so beware.  It is pretty common to see them look it up on youtube before they pull off your air cleaner. ;)

But those old Toyota engines REALLY want to run.

On the topic of tires, I believe Linda has found a good deal.

4 hours ago, linda s said:

Reasonably priced tires all with free shipping.

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/185-Blank-14

Linda S

I normally get my tires from unrepeatable sources, like some guy selling them out of a storage unit.
Also worth noting, Walmart will mount your tires for $5 piece, or at least that is what they did for my last tire.

Oh, hi Linda.  I always remove them myself and carry them in.  I wonder if that is why they have always mounted them for me?  I even had them mount a scooter tire, once.

There has been an occasion where I had to bring them a valve stem though, because they only seemed to have the "regular" kind.

Edited by Squirrel
Further information

22 minutes ago, linda s said:

Wal-Mart installed new wheel balancing machines in lots of stores that can't do our dually wheels. Best to call first

Linda S

I could be wrong, but I think the problem is the larger than typical hole in the wheel center that they don't often have the needed adapter for.

thank you Linda those are cheaper than the ones I been looking at. Does brand matter? There’s two Walmart’s close to me. I will call them and see if they can install them in the back dually axle. 

2 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

$522 for all six...?

pretty good.

you think if I go generic brand I’ll get problems with the tires?

found some for 50 bucks a tire 

?