Coleman AC Unit help needed.

Back in the fall, I asked for help with my AC unit. It was an easy fix to get the fan going and I appreciated all the help from members. NOW...I'm dealing with the same unit, but a different problem. Back in the fall, when it was cold and windy, the unit didn't need to cool off the air. But, now, in the heat of summer, I've realized it doesn't actually cool it at all. This morning, I went out and started it up, hooked to the house power. The fan runs great. Lots of air flow. But, it wasn't cooling the air. Being early in the morning, I thought that it might be cool enough that the difference in the temperature might not be enough to tell if it was cooling it. Now, this afternoon, I have gone out and fired it up again. Fan running great, pushing plenty of warm air out. Then, when I switch it to AC, it sounds like something else is trying to start up, but can't quite do it. The roof actually bounces a bit when it tries. It tries, then stops, tries again and stops. The fan continues to run. Any ideas? Could this be the compressor attempting to start?  Can I do anything to help it out?

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

yes, the compressor is trying to start and is tripping off on overload....either the compressor is bad (shorted or locked rotor), start capacitor is bad, or you may be trying to run it on too small an extension cord. Usually (not always) the start capacitor will bulge if it goes bad so you can check that.

Thanks RVdaytrader. I'm pretty sure the cord is all good. I'll have to get up on the roof and see what I can see. I am noticing now that the fan slows when the compressor is trying to start.

50/50 chance your problem is the start capacitor, it is likely the start cap or the compressor.  The best way I know of for the average person to test one is to buy a new one and replace it. I detest throwing parts at a problem, but seems the easy way out.  

Google "test RV start capacitor" and you will find some info that may help you.   Caution,  a capacitor stores electricity and give quite or  a shock or ruin a meter if not discharged. 

Excellent comment by jj. Discharge the capacitor First! I had the exact same problem with my AC as you L. I replaced the start capacitor and all is well. Contact Coleman for the correct capacitor part # or if you can read it on the cap. Must be the same. Good Luck!

You can also get and install a hard start kit . It is a cap and electronic relay. It will kick start your compressor up to 500%. They are sold buy compressor hp and voltage. From what you described your compressor is kicking off on the snap disk overload that is mounted under the plastic cover on the compressor, it will over heat from high amp draw and snap open breaking the electrical circuit shutting off the compressor  then when it cools down it will make and the compressor will come back on. Not good to let this cycle continue as it is overheating the windings in the compressor if they get hot enough it will burn the shellac off the windings and cause a short. If a hard start or new cap doesn't start it your compressor it could be mechanically stuck. You could pull an amp draw on it . There should be a data tag on the compressor that gives the LRA amp draw ( locked rotor amps).

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying all things. Got a new capacitor, and it started up and ran for a couple minutes before kicking off again. Have a heavy duty cord to the house power, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Thanks for all help!

Did you clean all the fins when you had the lid off for the cap install??

I don't know the Canadian equivalent, but Harbor Freight has clamp on amp meters...https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-clamp-meter-96308.html

Use it on the power cord and see the amps the AC is drawing. A rare but simple overlooked answer is a bad breaker in the RV panel. If the amp draw is high then you most likely have a bad compressor and the answer is a newer AC.

Edited by WME

8 hours ago, LittleShack said:

Still trying all things. Got a new capacitor, and it started up and ran for a couple minutes before kicking off again. Have a heavy duty cord to the house power, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Thanks for all help!

Can you plug it into the house without an extension? Even with a #12  50' cord the loss is pretty high plus the camper cord loss. If that fails it sounds like the compressor is toes up.

If you have an electrician friend....ask them to bring their  volt-amp meter over and check it out for you.

Inside of the compressor wiring box is a thermal switch it's stuck right to the side of the compressor to sense compressor temp if the compressor reaches critical temp it shuts the compressor off. If left on the compressor will usually restart after a cool down only to go out again on over temp basically a toes up compressor. A clamp on amp meter may not give you a true reading of just what is going on but it's a start. If you can borrow a clamp on meter it can only be used on a single wire you can't just clamp it over the romix the easiest way would be at the 20 breakers black wire.