Toyota 85 escaper sunrader dolphin - inquiry

kitchenwagon

Greetings Toyota home family,

i just joined this site and am a newb. Please forgive me for this may be a repeat topic. I do believe each situation is unique and needs addressing differently, that is why I am posting today. 

Heres my story, I live in Southern California. A friend of mine purchased this 85 sunrader escaper from an elderly gentleman in Wyoming. He drove it down to SoCal, and is now trying to sell the vehicle. My concern is that the vehicle has 5 lug axle. I am not sure how the electrical components work, I would love it if someone could explain how to use them if they know. 

i don’t require a lot for use. I simply want to own this vehicle for weekend trips and perhaps driving across the country. How much would you say I need to put into it, given it’s age and condition? I really want to jump on this opportunity yet I’m also weary, which is why I’m researching to see if I can find out some first hand experience and more information on this vehicle. Any and all, helpful, recommendations are greatly appreciated. Please let me know as soon as possible. 

5B354CC4-47DD-44BF-8846-622064004174.jpeg

Edited by kitchenwagon
Too much information.

The 5 lug rear axle is no good if you have duel rear tires (foolies). You’re looking at $2-4K to upgrade to a 6 lug ff rear axle. That would be a deal breaker by itself. Add the mechanical issues and I would walk away. Especially at that asking price. IMHO

Edited by fred heath

Ok, so what about the 5 lug rear axle makes it bad? it does have dual rear tires.. is there a concern there?

6 hours ago, fred heath said:

The 5 lug rear axle is no good if you have duel rear tires (foolies). You’re looking at $2-4K to upgrade to a 6 lug ff rear axle. That would be a deal breaker by itself. Add the mechanical issues and I would walk away. Especially at that asking price. IMHO

Yes, the 5 lug/6 lug topic is a big deal. One of the first things that you want to know about is whether it has the 6 lug (safe) axle or the 5 lug (death) axle.  There is much discussion on this site about it.  For example: http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/6-toyota-motorhome-axle-facts/

52 minutes ago, kitchenwagon said:

Ok, so what about the 5 lug rear axle makes it bad? it does have dual rear tires.. is there a concern there?

Long story short...... They are dangerous to drive with. Read the “Axle facts” link in the forum discussions. 

On 7/22/2018 at 3:24 PM, fred heath said:

Long story short...... They are dangerous to drive with. Read the “Axle facts” link in the forum discussions. 

I called Toyota to determine the information of the recall. The service advisor told me that because it’s a 4 cylinder, and it has dual rear tires, that there’s no need for concern. Also he told me that there was no recall on the vehicle. Expired or not there wasn’t one... how do you guys know of this recall?

The recall was not against Toyota, it was against the RV mfgs. Most of the mfgs are out of business, so your on your own. Sunrader is among those.

Edited by WME

1 hour ago, kitchenwagon said:

The service advisor told me that because it’s a 4 cylinder, and it has dual rear tires, that there’s no need for concern. Also he told me that there was no recall on the vehicle.

Probably a recent graduate from Hamburger U.

I'm not sure if you're talking about a Sunrader or Escaper. 2 different manufacturers. There was no recall on Escapers because they were out of business. Here's the Sunrader Recall documentation:-

Sunrader Axle Recall - RC-91V061-NN.pdf

You're saying your budget is $2000 max, and you want a motorhome to drive from california to canada a couple times??? You are not going to find a reliable unit for that price. If you just wanted a camper to drive to a country escape a few miles each weekend, that might be in your budget.

I have a sunrader camper shell on an older pickup truck. They both have their issues. The camper needs some things but is good for trips as it is. I just went on a 3 week, 4000mile trip and had issues with my truck, even though I maintain it with reg maintenance and don't overlook repairs. You just can't predict some things with older vehicles. And I know the history of the truck and it's maintenance and I maintain it for long road trip use.

I would not buy any vehicle to drive on a long road trip that isn't: 1) just a couple years old and taken care of; or 2) an older vehicle that you can prove has been meticulously maintained. Meaning, 99% of them would not be suitable for long road trip use.

My 2 week planned trip turned into 3 weeks because of a highway breakdown. And that's on a well maintained solid vehicle. Breaking down away from home with an old vehicle means finding someone who knows how to fix an older vehicle (shops don't even know what V Belts are anymore!!), and waiting for parts because they won't be in stock. Older vehicles are fun, but they are not "cheap" or problem free.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:44 PM, lexxxel said:

You're saying your budget is $2000 max, and you want a motorhome to drive from california to canada a couple times??? You are not going to find a reliable unit for that price. If you just wanted a camper to drive to a country escape a few miles each weekend, that might be in your budget.

I have a sunrader camper shell on an older pickup truck. They both have their issues. The camper needs some things but is good for trips as it is. I just went on a 3 week, 4000mile trip and had issues with my truck, even though I maintain it with reg maintenance and don't overlook repairs. You just can't predict some things with older vehicles. And I know the history of the truck and it's maintenance and I maintain it for long road trip use.

I would not buy any vehicle to drive on a long road trip that isn't: 1) just a couple years old and taken care of; or 2) an older vehicle that you can prove has been meticulously maintained. Meaning, 99% of them would not be suitable for long road trip use.

My 2 week planned trip turned into 3 weeks because of a highway breakdown. And that's on a well maintained solid vehicle. Breaking down away from home with an old vehicle means finding someone who knows how to fix an older vehicle (shops don't even know what V Belts are anymore!!), and waiting for parts because they won't be in stock. Older vehicles are fun, but they are not "cheap" or problem free.

Thanks for your input. I understand older vehicles aren’t cheap. I wasn’t directing my inquiry as cheap in any way, I stated how much I can afford at this time to get the vehicle purchased. In addition, I understand vehicles of this age may need constant work and attention. That’s not a problem, I’m just curious as to what I may need to know to look for.. common issues with these vehicles. As you can see I am new to this forum and these vehicles, I posted this thread so to get as much info as possible before making a decision. Thanks. 

On 7/25/2018 at 1:52 PM, kitchenwagon said:

I called Toyota to determine the information of the recall. The service advisor told me that because it’s a 4 cylinder, and it has dual rear tires, that there’s no need for concern. Also he told me that there was no recall on the vehicle. Expired or not there wasn’t one... how do you guys know of this recall?

The collective knowledge of members on this forum is a result of having to deal with the many issues involved with owning and maintaining these older Toyota motorhomes.

If you’re looking for sound advice, you’ve come to the right place. You can accept the recommendations of these members, or go out and learn the hard way. 

$2K is not going to buy anything that I would want to take on any extended road trip. Get RV coverage and travel no further from home than you can be towed back to. Or take a chance and if you break down be prepared to have lots of available cash or plan on leaving your vehicle on the side of the road. Your choice. 

5 hours ago, fred heath said:

The collective knowledge of members on this forum is a result of having to deal with the many issues involved with owning and maintaining these older Toyota motorhomes.

If you’re looking for sound advice, you’ve come to the right place. You can accept the recommendations of these members, or go out and learn the hard way. 

$2K is not going to buy anything that I would want to take on any extended road trip. Get RV coverage and travel no further from home than you can be towed back to. Or take a chance and if you break down be prepared to have lots of available cash or plan on leaving your vehicle on the side of the road. Your choice. 

Ok. I am going to buy it and I am going to get RV coverage. Can you recommend to me what sounds good for RV coverage? As in full coverage insurance? I will do what I can to keep it running, and when the time comes.. I will be gone in it. If it fails me, well at least I tried. Life will go on. I really appreciate all the wisdom there is to share with me. I will continue to use this website as a source and hopefully be able to clearly identify connections and build relationships within this community. Thank you for your time and interest in replying to this topic. 

Edited by kitchenwagon

Yes it's definitely the 5 lug rear axle that was recalled. It can fail without warning and cause major camper damage and possibly an accident.   No way to tell you if the tires are good or not. There is a date on them. Older than 6 years is considered too old. Here's some information to show you how to find that number

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

Linda S

1 minute ago, linda s said:

Yes it's definitely the 5 lug rear axle that was recalled. It can fail without warning and cause major camper damage and possibly an accident.   No way to tell you if the tires are good or not. There is a date on them. Older than 6 years is considered too old. Here's some information to show you how to find that number

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

Linda S

Does this mean that it is a semi-floating rear axle or a full floating? It has the dual rear tires.