Source of Overhead Cab Leak Found

pinkflydxx

I have been perplexed by an on again / off again leak in my overhead cab area - specifically the front window (91 Toyota Winnebago).  I have sealed and resealed all the lights, and have taken the window out twice and used butyl tape - also twice.  The leak seems to get resolved, then some time later reappears.  I checked and sealed the overhead hatch and looked for any small holes that may have been the source. The leak was definitely coming from above the window, but I could not find it - UNTIL YESTERDAY!

In removing the excess butyl tape and looking to go around the window/fiberglass joint with some high quality silicon, I found that in the upper corner of the window on the outside, the fiberglass panel was "soft".  With a little pressure, it would actually push in away from the front glass aluminum frame.  I am assuming that while traveling, the force of the air, would eventually push enough to open up the area enough to create a leak source.

I am assuming that whatever supported the fiberglass panel, is not longer doing it's job, or may be non-existent in the curve of the upper window area.  I have fixed it temporarily, but in the near future, I plan to remove the window again and use something to prevent the fiberglass panel from pushing in.  I do not think that putting a lot of extra butyl tape in the area will be a long term fix.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, what would you suggest to use to support / reinforce this area.  I thought about using some shims, or even cutting out a piece of wood to the proper thickness and matching radius as a support device for the frame to exert enough force to seal the butyl tape, but thought I would ask you folks about your experience.  Thanks and safe travels.

Edited by pinkflydxx

I HAVE A 92 WINNIE WARRIOR. YOUR DESCRIPTION OF THE AREA BEING "SOFT" INDICATES TO ME WOOD ROT OR DAMAGE BEHIND THE FIBERGLAS. IF THIS IS THE CASE, YOU MAY BE LOOKING AT A MAJOR REPAIR. ANOTHER POSSIBILITY IS THE FIBERGLAS HAS DELAMINATED, AND THERE IS A WAY TO FIX THAT WITH ADHESIVE. BEST OF LUCK. JOE FROM DOVER.

I saw the same thing on my Sea Breeze 93.  When I seal a window I normally use butyl tape and nothing else.  because of the soft/flexible corners I also used caulk around the entire outside of the window frame.

There were no signs of water intrusion and nothing rotten.  There also was not anything to firm up the flex.   I would guess some caulk and foam could be put in and trimmed??

Pressure testing of an RV can be done, either commercially or DIY,  Google for info.