road noise mitigation

sweetleon

I'm about to install new speakers in my Sunrader shorty because the old ones are blown from 30+ years (and 196k miles) of use, and also because I've probably been playing my radio too loud to drown out the road noise. I'm also thinking of putting in a subwoofer so the speakers don't have to work so hard.

But then I was talking to a friend about this, and he suggested that maybe I'm solving the wrong problem. Maybe I should do something about the road noise.

Has anyone here done anything to mitigate road noise? I googled what folks have done for Toyota pickups, and there seems to be a lot of discussion and even an FAQ answer. Are the things folks do for pickups (e.g., Reflectix under the carpet or insulation for the hood, firewall and steering stem) sufficient? Does an RV need something else?

As always, your insights are very much appreciated.

Ya the sound deadening stuff works, but you still won't end up with a Rolls Royce cabin.

The stuff comes as a deadener or as a oil can preventer.

A full layer of Fat Mat acts as a deadener/reducer. There are several products like Fat Mat, just get the rubberized type and not the asphalt based stuff.

The Lizard skin spray on stuff changes the vibration frequency of a large metal panel and prevents it from acting like a speaker and amplifying sound.

You can get just 12" squares of the Fat Mat stuff and place it in side doors and around speakers and some random spots on the floor board and it will change the ting door close to a thunk.

This place has both types... https://www.ebay.com/str/Deimos-Deals?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

On my 64 Hot Rod Chevelle I've used both, including the roof.