Downshift Throttle Cable

Captain JJ

Hello All,

This seems like a great forum with a lot of helpful folks.

Just purchased a 1986 Sunrader, 22RE 4Cyl automatic. Still going over it, checking things out, sorting priorities. First item on my list is replacing the broken cable which links the throttle to the transmission so it will downshift automatically. 

I went to the local Toyota dealer. they came up with part # 88648-89116, but then said it was not available anymore. 

Any advice on finding this part and it's installation will be appreciated. 

It also currently up-shifts too quickly, at roughly 2500 rpm. I don't think that is related to the cable, but any thoughts on adjustment or fix for up-shifting are welcome too. 

Thanks

JJ

This should be the correct part. I also have an 86 Sunrader and used my vin to find it. Yes it's available.

https://parts.villagetoyota.com/products/TOYOTA/1986/4Runner-LOW-DECK-PICKUP--DELUXE-2400CC-EFI--AUTOMATIC--4-SPEED-COLUMN-SHIFT/CABLE-ASSY--THROTTLE-WCRC/2052637/3552022021.html

I saw some YouTube videos about installing these. Maybe not exactly the same truck but close. The trick is adjusting it correctly. More stuff online about that. Google it

Linda S

The cable is more than a downshift cable yes your quick shifts are related to the cable being broken along with inability to downshift. You will need trans fluid as the pan has to come off in order to replace it. A friend will be a big help when it comes time to adjust it there are two nuts on the cable have your friend hold the gas to the floor with both nuts backed all the way off once the cable is in the holder pull the outer cable all the way back and bring the nuts up to the holder then back off the rear one a couple of turns then bring the front one up tight there should be a little slack in the inner cable. Here is how it all works if the cable is too slack it will shift fast (too soon) too tight and it will shift late don't worry about the kick down once the cable is adjusted it will work as it should. If you have problems finding one it is known as a TV (throttle valve) cable.

Hi again. Would you mind giving me some more detail as to how this cable connects at the transmission? You said to drop the pan so I assume it connects inside the transmission, not on the outside. I've been asking some transmission repair shops about installation, but wondering if it is something I can attempt to do myself. Been looking at on line pictures but not seeing enough detail. 

I'm having some trouble finding a shop that can get it on a lift (and also a transmission shop that will just install the cable without trying to sell me a rebuild).

So may attempt it myself, but don't want to get into something I can't really do.

One mechanic I talked to said he would catch the fluid and reuse it because old transmissions don't like new fluid. I'd rather change out the fluid, filter and anything else for a transmission service. Comments?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

JJ

• 1 month later...

I wanted to finish up this thread with some better detail so it might help other users.

Key Lesson! What looks like a little thing is a little more complicated.

I got the cable through my local Toyota dealer who price matched the one referenced in this forum. And thanks to the forum input, it was the correct part. $144.

I searched for a reputable transmission shop. With some referrals from friends I found one with a lift to handle it. He is a classic car restoration mechanic. In his shop were a 60's Chevy Powerglide and a 1948 DeSoto Suburban Fluid Drive. He  wasn't the typical franchise shop in the strip mall.

Cable was installed, he drove the RV before and after. Made adjustments on the cable.CHanged fluid, filter and seal. Gave me a thumbs up on the transmission.

Labor and materials $317.  

All in all, not bad for about $450. And I know I have a good drive train.