Your right. I'm french, so my English is not very good. What i am trying to tell you, today i go to see the transmission physically .I see the sensor on transmission under the cars and it was not the: 89411-22061

On 7/27/2018 at 5:33 PM, linda s said:

Linda, it is not a matter of "believing" Toyota. I have spoken with Toyota as well as Toyota Parts. We have concluded that this item was only available on the Toyota RV's dating 1986-91 I wish I could find something that would work. I really am frustrated with this, yet I am not trying to mock you or anything like that. i just want to find the part so I can get my beloved RV back home. Thats all.... Dave

Edited by ToyotaDave
date clarification

I'm kind of lost here why can't you drive it? Help me out here these thing are a bit long in the tooth I quit working on cars in 96 after nearly 40 years but the only thing I can see is a possibility of a  transmission shifting issue. The trans is a standard Toyota Asian Warner the RV's only difference was the final drive gearing.

Well I looked at pick and pull and ran the vin for a 1991 4Runner they have at the Antelope store.  Correct  part number for your vehicle came up as the one on that truck. Of course I don't know if it is still on the truck. The only vehicle Toyota imported to this country that could have possibly used this part in 1986 is a Supra. No trucks had a V6 yet with an A340E trannie.

Linda S

The A340E was used in the V6 pickup until 95, Cressida,Supras 86-93, 2WD 4 Runner 89 to 03 I'm not saying the sensor will work but it was a very popular trans. The first page will not open for me so I have no idea why this thing can't be driven. If you manually shift,  low, 2, and D it should go a pain yes but it should move. I maybe be wrong but I think this trans also still had a TV cable if it's broken it will shift early if it's jammed open it will shift very late.

It can be driven and yes it can be shifted manually, it will not go past 4th gear. The problem is I have to take it 1800 miles back home. It will burn out my transmission before I leave Texas. So far I have tried sensors off of the cars listed, none work.

Well curiosity killed the cat and it's surly going to kill me too. I got that speed sensor out of that darn 4Runner. Identical in every way to the one Dave posted. Part numbers don't lie. Now what. I'm not letting someone have it who is convinced it won't work. I got freaking dirty for this.

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Well curiosity killed the cat and it's surly going to kill me too. I got that speed sensor out of that darn 4Runner. Identical in every way to the one Dave posted. Part numbers don't lie. Now what. I'm not letting someone have it who is convinced it won't work. I got freaking dirty for this.

Linda S

Well, I don't know for sure it wont work. What I do know is the ones we have extracted from other cars did not work. If this is what I need I would be willing to pay for it. I was not trying to upset you, I have looked into so many and what the mechanic told me is what I went by. Hopefully you are just being funny and not cruel... I am about to have the speed sensor overridden. I would rather have the part. I just drove 3 days back to Austin to either move the RV or have it fixed. Thank you for finding the part. This has been a very difficult process. Thank you everyone for your help and advise.

Dave

408-504-8255

"He says the VSS has been tested and is bad".....hmmmmm, any chance they were wrong and the sensor is good and the ECM is bad?? Sure wouldn't be the first time a dealer mechanic was wrong!

On 7/31/2018 at 11:33 AM, ToyotaDave said:

It can be driven and yes it can be shifted manually, it will not go past 4th gear. The problem is I have to take it 1800 miles back home. It will burn out my transmission before I leave Texas. So far I have tried sensors off of the cars listed, none work.

Many people on this site will not use OD by choice because they are afraid it will wreck the trans it is not an issue it will not burn up your trans yes it will be noisier yes it will burn more fuel and lockup probable will not work but there are 10's of thousands of Toy home out there that have no lockup converter. They are are pretty tough transmissions. It's your choice but if I need to get home that's what I would do. There is a fair possibility the speed sensor will not fix it anyway so then what? Just out of curiosity does the speedo work? I maybe a little late or missed a page so bare with me.

1 hour ago, RVdaytrader said:

"He says the VSS has been tested and is bad".....hmmmmm, any chance they were wrong and the sensor is good and the ECM is bad?? Sure wouldn't be the first time a dealer mechanic was wrong!

I pulled my VSS and it tested bad, confirmed by the speedometer not working.    Turns out it was the speedometer and I'm not real good at testing VSS. 

22 minutes ago, ToyotaDave said:

Thank you Linda S! You definitely are not mean! I got my tracking number and am looking forward to driving home!

Oh and your computer needs to be reset after you install it. Just remove the battery cables for a while and then hook up and let it get the new readings from the new sensor. The old broken one confused it

Linda S

• 1 year later...